(Topic ID: 433)

I don't know how to decide what to buy :)

By IceHill

14 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Mato
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TSPT.jpg
#1 14 years ago

Hi guys!

I'm new here and I just got a chance to buy one or more pinballs .He's one guy which is selling about 100 pins, some of them in very good condition, others in bad. I will try to write a list of pins with theirs conditions and basic price if I remember...and I wanna see some comments on what to buy

Johnny Mnemonic (didnt see it becouse its operational in a pub)
Scared Stiff (good condition, price tag 1460$)
Creature From The Black Lagoon (great condition, 1750$)
ADDAMS FAMILY (not that good contidion, used in a bar, 1460$)
DR.WHO (average contidion, 1240$)
WHIRLWIND (average condition, have no clue of a price)
MOUSIN AROUND
BLACK WATER
TALES OF THE CRYPT (average condition, 1460$)
FISH TALES (good condition, 1460$)
HURICANE
FUN HOUSE (bar usage, quite used pin,1460$)
THE MACHINE
ROAD SHOW
CORVETTE (average condition,1315$)
ROLLERGAME
BLACK ROSE
THE GETAWAY
POPEYE
Sega FRANKESTEIN (good condition, about 1400$)
PIN BOT
NBA fastbreak
NO FEAR (quite used, 1000$)
JURASSIC PARK
INDIANA JONES (very used condition, pale paint on the cabinet,1750$)
DIRTY HARRY
WORLD CUP
EIGHT BALL CHAMP
TWILIGHT ZONE (saw one in bad condition, but he is telling me about another one which is in his pub for about 1900$)
GUNS N ROSES (didnt see it, but it goes for 1800$)
BACK TO THE FUTURE (it looked in good condition, just lotsa dust on it,this one is with damaged main board and goes for 500€)

I cannot remember all the prices becouse it was just too much to suck in and I had like 20 minutes to check all of this

I REALLY want the twilight zone, but not the bad one (and i don't know how hard is to maintain this machine), i would also buy this Data East Back to the Future, but with damaged main board (sounds are working, the machine is in one piece) i'm not sure how to maintain it?
Other suggestions?

I only have one pinball right now (Williams StarTrek), but its slowly getting outta control just wanna have lots of them...

#2 14 years ago

Write all the names on a seprate piece of paper and put them all into a hat or simular stir them up and have someone else blind folded and reach their hand in and pick one piece of paper out. Buy that one! easy fair and fun.

#3 14 years ago

Games with staying power on that list:

Creature from Black Lagoon - good deal if in great condition
IJ - I have one and love it. If it's only problem is a faded cabinet, it's a steal at $1750. Buy it and put a new set of decals on it.

#4 14 years ago

While not outrageous the prices seem kind of high for non-shopped used machines. I mean c'mon .. the Street Fighter II machine I get tuesday (choice of two) is only $500 delivered not to mention all the others I could choose from in the same price range.

#5 14 years ago

I agree with brokedad, he should come down some on those prices and likely will if you bargain with him. The problem with buying non shopped machines is the MASSIVE amount of time you have to put into them to bring them up to par for "home" use, especially a complex machine like twilight zone (although $1900 is not too bad) you can expect to spend at least a week of cleaning and partial dis assembly of the playfield to clean out those years of location dirt. What I do is look at the machine (if I can) and then the book value of the machine and I decide if the dozens and dozens of hours I have to spend cleaning and shopping it is worth the amount less than the book price it is. Otherwise you may as just well buy a shopped one from someone who sells for fair prices (seems to be only about 15% of pin sellers know what fair prices are)

Now as far as the games you listed. personally I would consider the fun house, machine bride of pinbot, the Twilight Zone of course and the scared stiff. If I had to pick one machine on that list at the prices posted it would surely be the scared stiff. At the price you listed it is a steal for a clean machine, and a super fun one to boot. Hope this helps and of course this is just one persons opinion.

regards

#6 14 years ago

Hi, personally I could slim down the choice to Scared Stiff, Dr Who, Tales From The Cript, Black Rose, Road Show. I base this on the pins i've played and what I like. Obviously prices will always be an issue, haggling can be fun and you'll never know if a price can be knocked down unless you try.

I recently got Johnny Mnemonic, spent a lot of time stripping, cleaning and making it work flawlessly, it IS a fast paced machine, great play, highly enjoyable etc(read my rating on it). The only mechanical problem I forsee will be with the hand/glove mechanism, Williams knew there would be problems with this and wrote software to exclude use of the hand if need be. Plenty of replacement parts for the hand/glove mech are readily available.

By the way i'm looking for the X-NUT for Johnny as a spare, I can find it in USA but can't order one yet cause of the postage costs, I need a bigger order to make it worth while. (it's not worth paying postage for one small nut).

Good luck on which ever pin/pins you get.

PINBALL 4-EVER

#7 14 years ago

I would be interested in Twilight Zone,where are they located?

#8 14 years ago

Thanks for comments guys!
I know the prices are a bit high for some of the pins and i'll try to negotiate. But there are 2 problems - first this guy knows something about pins (ok he knows which ones are interesting 4 buyers) and second - in our country is difficult to even find&buy a pinball machine, specially a good one (both condition and gameplay).

toyboy6 I'll check IJ in every way..its a great game!

maldoror I'm hoping that the second twilight zone is in good shape...becouse i think this is my only chance to get one fast.

bugray this Johnny Mnemonic is also on my mind ...like the theme and everybody is telling me to buy one. Must check the condition on my second visit...

My problem is that in our country with 2 million people theres not a lot of pins 4 sale (thats why I think this is a great chance to get one or two). There were more pins back in 90s, but after the short war (91') majority of pins was sold and shipped back to USA to the collectors.
The other problem is where to put pins (I live in a condo in 14 floor building)..but with my addiction I'm sure that i'll get space somewhere

I'm even lucky to have this guy which owns a lot of pins and knows how to fix them!

#9 14 years ago

scooter they're located in Europe,Slovenia

#10 14 years ago

Wow IceHill , and we thought pins were getting tough to find in the US where most of them have been bought up and shopped out at least once.

I didn't mean to sound pompous. The deals I have access to are actually rare and won't be around for long. I wish I had more room and more money. I already have machines in my den and formal dining room. This next one has to go into the shop at the back of my garage for now until I can maybe find help to get it up to my bedroom on the second story.

I'd agree with the others and say go for the more highly sought after machines. With the rarity of them where you live you will never lose money on it.

BTW Welcome to the forum .. Let us know what you get and post up some pics when it's yours.

#11 14 years ago

Thanks Ice! To far for me

#12 14 years ago

Being over there in Slovenia makes all of these a good deal. Get as many as you can, especially the "classics".

#13 14 years ago

The only one I'd look at would be 'Dirty Harry'
then to a lesser extent Dr Who , mousin around, Indy but not in that order.

#14 14 years ago

Thanks for all the help guys and Brokedad thanks 4 the welcome!
Of course I'll let you all know and post some pics when I buy some pins. I'll try to get some of the classics.

The only problem will be where to put the pins...

#15 14 years ago

Remember IceHill things can get a bit overwhelming when you go to a place that has a large line up of pins set up.
Dont let such a large volume punk you out remember the 5 second rule,
when you walk down that line spend about 5 - 10 seconds looking at each pin and after that go back and visit the ones that appealed to you or maybe stood out.
Leave all your emotions back home remain cool & calm and if you still cant decide
sleep on it or take a few days

#15 14 years ago

Because I like running my mouth, I'm going to give my opinions on each game.

Johnny Mnemonic - Fast player, but the theme isn't all that great. The glove can be a major pain the butt to maintain if you have issues, and often times the glove won't be working when you pick up the machine. Not a bad game and relatively cheap, however.

Scared Stiff - Fun game and a pretty good theme, but for some reason it sells higher than it should for games with similar fun factor. Collectors love this one for the strong art as well. Not a bad choice if you can swing a good deal.

Creature From The Black Lagoon - This is a fun game that some people find to be a bit repetitive. I tend to agree that it could use a bit more variety, but the theme is great and there's a good bit of humor intertwined with the gameplay. Again, probably a bit more expensive than it needs to be because it's a favored title by lots of collectors.

ADDAMS FAMILY - Pricey, but one heck of a game. This game, in my opinion, works great alone or in a collection. It will always receive a good amount of play.

DR.WHO - This game is deceptively challenging. It's pretty cheap to pick up, but it's a lot of fun if you're a good shot. It can be a little frustrating to some, however.

WHIRLWIND - Fun game! Relatively cheap, and pretty easy to find parts for if you need to. This is a really nice starter pin.

MOUSIN AROUND - Fun theme, but a little light on the depth. I see them around often enough, but have never owned one.

BLACK WATER - Don't know this one very well. Played it briefly, but not much.

TALES OF THE CRYPT - One of Data East's best games! Very fun theme and lots of good shots to hit on this one.

FISH TALES - I just sold one of these last week. It's a good budget pin and a great starter machine and it's easy to flip if you want to upgrade or try something else.

HURRICANE - Really simple game, that kids and newcomers seem to love, but it wears thin after a while. The theme is pretty good, but the shots are really simple.

FUN HOUSE - AWESOME game! You can't go wrong here.

THE MACHINE - My favorite alphanumeric game. It's really, really, fast and flashy. I doubt I'll ever sell mine.

ROAD SHOW - Hot or cold, depends on the style of player. I can't really get into this game, but it's fun to try on location.

CORVETTE - Don't really have a good handle on this one.

ROLLERGAME - Don't really have a good handle on this one.

BLACK ROSE - I love the cannon, but I feel that this game gets a little repetitive over time. Fun theme though.

THE GETAWAY - This is a real man's game. Fast, fun, and flashy. I just sold one of these a few weeks back and I kinda miss it.

POPEYE - TOTAL GARBAGE, DO NOT BUY!!!

Sega FRANKESTEIN - One of the best games Sega made, but if you're into the monster theme Bram Stoker's Dracula or Freddy is a better pick.

PIN BOT - Great game and a solid classic! One of my favorite skill shots in pinball and the upper mini playfield is a nudger's paradise.

NBA fastbreak - Not a fan of this one.

NO FEAR - Fast and crazy, but I'm not too big on the theme.

JURASSIC PARK - In my opinion, the best game Data East put out. The theme is great, the shots are satisfying, the modes are fun, and the art is great. The T-Rex is a real crowd pleaser as well.

INDIANA JONES - I have always loved this game and I just got mine last week. I think it's a safe pick for just about anybody. Cool toys, great theme, and quite a bit of variety in the shots and modes.

DIRTY HARRY - Eh, just a little bit average. Not a fan of the theme, but the shots are okay.

WORLD CUP - Awesome game! The theme is great, especially if you like soccer and it's easy to get into for both new pinball players and pros. Pretty reasonably priced as well.

EIGHT BALL CHAMP - Everybody loves this game except for me, I think. I just don't get into it and I'm not a fan of the sound effects at all.

TWILIGHT ZONE - My favorite pinball machine of all time! I could go on for days talking about this, so I'll just leave it at this...BEST. GAME. EVER.

GUNS N ROSES - Very fun game, but it's usually pretty expensive. The ramps are unique, the theme rocks (literally), and it's a good player.

BACK TO THE FUTURE - Fun game from the DE pre-DMD era and everybody loves the theme. For some reason it can be a bear to maintain if things go wrong, but it's a good starter pin.

#16 14 years ago

Hi IceHill
I think some of these games have a good price, but one should know what's wrong with those which have some defects. Maybe it wouldn't be that expensive to clean and fix. I'm thinking about Addams. The Creature is about a normal price if its really that nice.

By the way, I live in the southern part of Hungary, so I think its pretty close to you. If you'd like I can tell you about deals over here. Also, I would like a nice CFTBL, but right now I can't afford it, just made a deal on a MB, going to pick it up this week...

#17 14 years ago

jar155 thanx for the info.

Balint you're 400km away...its not that far and I will be glad if u can tell me anything about deals over there in Hungary Where did u get MB?! thats one great pin!

#18 14 years ago

I'd recommend CFTBL and Guns and Roses from that list. Both look like good deals if they're in great shape.

3 years later
#20 10 years ago

this post is 3 years old......wtf is going on with these old posts popping up now, haha

#21 10 years ago

Took me a second to realize this was 3 years old...was looking at the prices from the original post and was thinking....wow, you better buy a lot at those prices....bubble has now been burst.

TSPT.jpgTSPT.jpg

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from jk2171:

I'd recommend CFTBL and Guns and Roses from that list. Both look like good deals if they're in great shape.

Maybe you didn't see the Indy for $1750.

#23 10 years ago

Brent....post is 3 years old bud.

#24 10 years ago

I know but even then a cftbl over indie is a crime.

#25 10 years ago

haha so many peeps get fooled buy these old posts

#26 10 years ago

Prices look pretty good. everything still available?

#27 10 years ago

Get TAF and IJ.....very long lasting power

#28 10 years ago

Buy em all at that price haha

#29 10 years ago

Wow... massive price increase in Pinball prices over the last few years then.. I got my shopped STTNG this week for $4500 but I had an opportunity a year or two back to get one for around $3500.. I guess interest in pinball machines is at an all time high. I wonder how much further demand for classic machines will continue?

#30 10 years ago

Dang, if I could get an IJ for under $2k, I would be sooooo happy!!!!

#31 10 years ago

I would love an IJ as well...

#32 10 years ago

Wow that's a big list I would see if you can buy 3 at a discount ,you set up an instant killer line up with scared stiff, the adams family and creech all standing next to each other!!!!

#33 10 years ago

3 year old post.......

#34 10 years ago

Op,

Wondering if these pins might be available three years from now as I need time to save up some dough. Please turn them off now though, as I prefer they not get any dirtier until I have a chance to pick them up.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Mato:

this post is 3 years old......wtf is going on with these old posts popping up now, haha

Quoted from Mato:

3 year old post.......

You are the one who resurrected it. Guess that gets you off

#36 10 years ago

not me, it was at the top of my list.......so I replied dint notice the date. lots of people still replying so must get them off as well including you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Camarillo, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.50
$ 23.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sterling, VA
$ 85.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-dont-know-how-to-decide-what-to-buy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.