11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dimples.jpg

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The music in MM is perfect!

Haha, I personally think that MM has some of the worst music in the modern pinball machines. It just doesn't get you pumped up at all...vs something like NBAFB which has awesome music and came out at the same time period. Stargate's opening music is pretty bad as well, although the multiball tunes are all good. Judge Dredd has the absolute worst overall though, lol, I can honestly say that's the only game I've ever owned where the music itself made me not want to play it.

#53 11 years ago

Boo! Thumbs down.

#54 11 years ago

If you look hard enough you can find negatives with any machine, (I know I was a little hard on TOTAN last week) but when I look at MM, I can't. Which is why I believe it is the top rated machine and will always be, even though there are machines that I may prefer.

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Boo! Thumbs down.

Haha, nice. But you have to admit, even in your current lineup that Tron, AC/DC, and MB have way better music than MM...and the others probably do too other than maybe JM and DM (been a while since I've heard either of those). The music in MM just seems a little off key and just not as good as it could have been...sound effects and voices are fantastic, music = eh. Like the game a lot, just not for that aspect.

#56 11 years ago

I love the music in MM, are you kidding me? Royal Madness?? Incredible mode with pulse-pounding music. The background score sets a killer mood. Some of the best original voice work you'll ever hear from a pin. MM has an amazing sound package.

MM really has all you could ask for in a rule set, as well. The stair-stepper towards wizard mode, majorly stackable, huge madness point stack buildups which create one of the best risk-reward scenarios in pinball, main multiball with a great finale, tough wizard mode to reach but even tougher to beat, and probably the best mini-wizard mode ever. Yet (and this is the key part) MM has terrifically enjoyable gameplay for even the most casual player. Destroying the castle is one of the best kinetic rewards to a perfectly intuitive objective.. Having the 'best' ruleset is not always a case of the deepest or most complex. Novices can easily understand the basic rules of castle destruction and castle locks. Because of how well-rounded it is for both novice and expert players, and how it's a proven top collector piece as well as a legendary top ranked earner for operators, you could certainly make a case for MM having the best ruleset of all time.

#57 11 years ago

Bad music? No way...that stuff is a perfect fit.

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I like whacking Trolls!

Try whacking some Gofers. Just as fun for a 1/5 of the price.

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

and probably the best mini-wizard mode ever.

Royal Madness is fun but hardly the best mini wizard mode ever IMO. AFM's TA and SM's Battle Royal to me are much more well thought out as far as being rewarding mini wizard modes.

#60 11 years ago

I owned both MM and AFM. MM is a great pin, but I stayed with AFM as I think it has more features that interrelate, where MM is very linear. Stacking Madness MBs for me is just the same feature being increased. There is no independence of features being stacked, which for me is the definition of satckability, so Madness MB in my mind is not an example of stacking.

The thing I miss most about MM is barnyard multiball. Very cool!

Dan

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Royal Madness is fun but hardly the best mini wizard mode ever IMO. AFM's TA and SM's Battle Royal to me are much more well thought out as far as being rewarding mini wizard modes.

Springfield mystery spot comes to mind as the best mini wizard mode. Destroy the ring too. In those games (LOTR and TSPP) you could probably put There and Back Again and Alien Invasion as miniwizards as they are things needed on the way towards the end.

Like MrWizzo, I would agree that the stacking madness mb's is just the same feature being increased, like a jackpot multiplier. I actually like AFM better (like he does) for the same reason. AFM requires you to accomplish several different goals (cities, super jackpot, 5 way combo, etc) where as MM is mainly just pound the castle with multiball and you'll pretty much reach the end as you'll usually hit enough of the shots along the way. I also don't like the fact that the best strategy to get to the end is to ignore the multiball goals and just pound the castle...depending on what you have qualified, it even nets you more points, so for both points and goals it makes sense to ignore jackpots, which is bizarre.

#62 11 years ago

Jericho on IM is a pretty good mini wizard mode, single ball too!

Dan

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

I love the music in MM, are you kidding me? Royal Madness?? Incredible mode with pulse-pounding music. The background score sets a killer mood. Some of the best original voice work you'll ever hear from a pin. MM has an amazing sound package.
MM really has all you could ask for in a rule set, as well. The stair-stepper towards wizard mode, majorly stackable, huge madness point stack buildups which create one of the best risk-reward scenarios in pinball, main multiball with a great finale, tough wizard mode to reach but even tougher to beat, and probably the best mini-wizard mode ever. Yet (and this is the key part) MM has terrifically enjoyable gameplay for even the most casual player. Destroying the castle is one of the best kinetic rewards to a perfectly intuitive objective.. Having the 'best' ruleset is not always a case of the deepest or most complex. Novices can easily understand the basic rules of castle destruction and castle locks. Because of how well-rounded it is for both novice and expert players, and how it's a proven top collector piece as well as a legendary top ranked earner for operators, you could certainly make a case for MM having the best ruleset of all time.

Nailed it, especially after "and this is the key part" It's the game for everyone!

#64 11 years ago

Actually one of my favorite mini wizard modes is Sea of Simulation. I love it. It changes the normal rules to completing most of the modes, and it gives you a chance to go straight to the main wizard mode (Portal) if you complete the remaining modes during SoS. Love it. And that's without mentioning how great the music is at the start!

Quoted from taylor34:

Haha, nice. But you have to admit, even in your current lineup that Tron, AC/DC, and MB have way better music than MM...and the others probably do too other than maybe JM and DM (been a while since I've heard either of those). The music in MM just seems a little off key and just not as good as it could have been...sound effects and voices are fantastic, music = eh. Like the game a lot, just not for that aspect.

Sorry, but no. This is not going to be a case where I "admit" to the music in MM being inferior to anything in my lineup. Yes, I do prefer the overall sounds and music in Tron, but that doesn't diminish how good the music in MM is.

Also don't think it even makes sense to compare AC/DC's music to that in MM. Completely different. Like comparing Beethoven to Metallica.

#65 11 years ago

Some people will never get MM, unless they fork over the cash!

#66 11 years ago

The think that makes MM stand out on it's own for me is the way you stack multiballs, and the strategy in achieving that to reduce the chance of starting multiball before you have all Merlins lights lit... (apart from Trolls, which you can add to the MB while the MB's running). It creates a unique strategy to the game play... compare that to TAF, as you have, there seems to be no strategy at all in that game, just start a mode, finish (or time out) that mode and start the next 'till you fill the mansion... totally shallow!! MM has depth to the strategy... what's the strategy in TAF??

The excellent humour, artwork and sounds are the icing on the cake. Who can't love barnyard multiball, and the way you actually achieve it... I even love the video mode!

And you also have the troll bombs, achieved by ricocheting ball off the trolls into Merlin's hole or the castle wall (I seem to remember).

A totally awsome, complete and polished package IMO!

What TAF has to offer to beat this is a mystery to me... You say it's 'harder'... I'd agree it's harder to complete the mansion than to kill all the castle kings, but if you're comparing TAF to killing castle kings, then you're only scratching the surface of MM playing it to destroy castles...

Quoted from taylor34:

MM's ruleset just doesn't put it into elite status in that category. Perhaps compared to other Williams games, but I personally don't think it really stacks up against a lot of the Sterns of the past 10 years like TSPP, LOTR, WPT, etc for depth and then games like AC/DC, TSPP for stacking/strategy.

Couldn't disagree more, see above.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
Decals
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
$ 85.00
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 64.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wolcott, CT
$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Other
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs
Armor and blades
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-dont-get-mm/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.