(Topic ID: 23837)

I don't care what anyone says - IJ (Williams) kicks ass.....

By aztarac

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Atomicboy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago

When someone says that that the mini-playfield isn't usable and that they are only playing on 25% of the playfield - what else can I say other than they may not hitting the shots they need to?

I really don't remember that thread your talking about. Maybe you take things too seriously. Thanks for calling me highly intellectual.

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

F-14 blows, and I don't care what anyone says

Thoughts on Whirlwind?

#53 11 years ago

Whirlwind is awesome!!!

#54 11 years ago

I think WMS IJ and STTNG both suck. I do think Whirlwind is awesome.
Eveyone has their own likes/dislikes. That is why there are so many pins out there to enjoy.

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

F-14 blows, and I don't care what anyone says

Are you sure you want to stir this pot?

Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Now your saying to Neo someone who has been around for over 15 years that his opinion is bunk. Seriously dude its one thing to like the game its another to have its balls in your mouth.

Obviously there is a lot of history between you two, and Neo is an excuse to review the past broadsides. Can't and won't speak to that since I have not been around that long, but there always is the irony of being judgemental. Neo is there tearing CC and other pins apart for their price and does the same thing. You feel the need to defend Neo against someone expressing his differing opinion maybe as or more dismissively, and you act like Neo is something holy to you. Who's got whose balls in their mouth? Do you need Neo as an excuse to tear a scab off your wound?

Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Most of the PF is blocked off with the pop area. The POA is not that cool. How much field is there slings captive ball 3 bank and what else orbits its all covered and taken up with shit that does not work very well with the rest of the design. The dribble from the pops is the worst on any game i have ever played in my 25 years of playing pinball.

Since credentials are important to you, I have played pinball since I was about 7 years old and am now 54 and collecting since early 90s. I have played a lot of pins but a lot less than many here and think that overall IJ works really well and is very different from most other pins in how it is laid out at least compared to those I have and do own. If I understand it correctly, I think the FANBOY badge really does not apply to the game the way it would to AFM or MM because IJ feels that there are two sections of the playfield-upper and mid. The extra ball, bonus multiplier, multiball and super pops are accessible to achieve only from the orbits and captive ball shot and the trough. So if you cannot hit the orbits or CB shot, your only chance is to plunge. There is an upper game and a mid game, and they seem to integrate well as parts of the whole although there may not good flow between them, which makes the game more difficult.

I have to agree with your point that the dribble from the pops is pretty bad. It is annoying, but that is the only really flaw I find.

The other thing I find puzzling about people who think that if something doesn't meet your liking or expectations, it has to be deemed something pejorative? Why can it not be that your taste differs (more than okay) as opposed to it being somehow inherently flawed? I guess that some pins do suck, but the majority are a matter of preference and taste.

Obviously, IJ is held in pretty high regard in most rankings, so maybe be happy in the minority and satisfied with having superior taste, I guess.

Dan

#56 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Do you need Neo as an excuse to tear a scab off your wound?

THIS. Just reminded me of the B.S he said before. Everyone likes different stuff. Neo does his price bashing whatever and has for the many years i have known him. we all know that. Had nothing to do with him personally.

But It is not necessary in every IJ thread to gripe about the people who don't share his feelings on the game. I dont go around saying i hate MM(i do) nor do i go into MM threads and tell people to eat it because i think MM sucks.

What really got under my skin is when i tried to sell mine he came into my for sale thread telling me that i just dont know how to set it up if i did i would like it. Then it was oh you just don't know the rules or you WOULD like it. Ascertaining that i have no clue to the rules or how to setup a pin or i would surely see it his way.

We all dont follow the cookie cuter top 10 collection. Thank god or i would be broke. I cant wait to get this 10,000 AFM turd out of my House that i am restoring. Hate that too.

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

But It is not necessary in every IJ thread to gripe about the people who don't share his feelings on the game. I dont go around saying i hate MM(i do) nor do i go into MM threads and tell people to eat it because i think MM sucks.

There is a very popular game that I absolutely hate, but not for pin reasons as it has some pretty cool design features. Just cannot get past the theme. I have learned to keep that to myself and not rain on others' parade. In total agreement.

Quoted from AkumaZeto:What really got under my skin is when i tried to sell mine he came into my for sale thread telling me that i just dont know how to set it up if i did i would like it. Then it was oh you just don't know the rules or you WOULD like it. Ascertaining that i have no clue to the rules or how to setup a pin or i would surely see it his way.

Well, yeah that would certainly do it for many of us.

Quoted from AkumaZeto:

We all dont follow the cookie cuter top 10 collection. Thank god or i would be broke. I cant wait to get this 10,000 AFM turd out of my House that i am restoring. Hate that too.

Been trying to break out of that mentality, but backslide here recently buying a CC and MB. I guess I feel that if I can get into these games right, I can sell them if I don't find them to be a keeper (like I did with MM) provided the market still supports my initial costs. CC for me is re about the last of an era produced, and MB because I loved Monsters as a kid and have a collection of models my dad and I made. These also motivated my purchase of a Creech.

Close to getting an RFM for the P2K platform and a PM since I don't have a CAPCOM.

Dan

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

THIS. Just reminded me of the B.S he said before. Everyone likes different stuff. Neo does his price bashing whatever and has for the many years i have known him. we all know that. Had nothing to do with him personally.
What really got under my skin is when i tried to sell mine he came into my for sale thread telling me that i just dont know how to set it up if i did i would like it. Then it was oh you just don't know the rules or you WOULD like it. Ascertaining that i have no clue to the rules or how to setup a pin or i would surely see it his way.

Akuma, there's no ill-will here. I just didn't want you to get rid of an awesome machine!

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from IndianaPwns:

When someone says that that the mini-playfield isn't usable and that they are only playing on 25% of the playfield - what else can I say other than they may not hitting the shots they need to?
I really don't remember that thread your talking about. Maybe you take things too seriously. Thanks for calling me highly intellectual.

Ok, look at the overall playfield as a blank. You have a ton of space on this thing right. It's huge. Ok, now, cut that playfield in half, because the entire top area is cut off. Only interaction you have to shoot the 2 loops and it bobbles around up there, uncontrolled. The lower right side is cut off, by this huge ball locking toy, that all it does it drop ball down the side. Under the mini playfield totally unusable with a mini playfield that's too steep to really have any control. (TZ's mini playfield is way more fun and usable. So is SOF's. much more fun, much more interactive). If you look at the actual play area of the entire machine, it's the same as a Super mario mushroom world. Which is half the size of IJ. They just wernt that good at using the space. It's like a house that has sections completely blocked off, by poor design. I don't hate the game, but I don't like it either, and I wanted to...I tried, I really did, it just was poorly done. I'd take a sterns IJ over B/W any day.

#60 11 years ago

Okay, group hug time. Yes, even you Cap't.

BTW, Neo, did you read why I think the separated pf works on the game? I don't think people who HAVE to have flow can come around on IJ.

Dan

#61 11 years ago

that's the thing, I love stop and go games. TZ and TAF are some of my favorites. TOTAN, CV. I don't like fan pattern games.

#62 11 years ago

IJ is awesome. Super fun all the time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 85.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

Wanted
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

12,500 (OBO)
$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,419.00
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-dont-care-what-anyone-says-ij-williams-kicks-ass/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.