(Topic ID: 73007)

I didn't see any STLE threads so here are my comments.

By Ed_in_Texas

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by bcfast
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

magnetic snake.jpg
fan.jpg
STLE 018.JPG
STLE 017.JPG
STLE 016.JPG
STLE 013.JPG
STLEdmdspeaker 030.JPG
STLEdmdspeaker 027.JPG
STLEdmdspeaker 026.JPG
STLEdmdspeaker 025.JPG
STLEdmdspeaker 024.JPG
STLEdmdspeaker 023.JPG
STLEdmdspeaker 014.JPG
STLEdmdspeaker 011.JPG
20131213_000538.jpg
20131213_000525.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SaminVA.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

Working on mine....

StarTrek.jpg 88 KB

Blue_Flippers.jpg 95 KB

So how did you light up your speakers? One of the speaker light kits or was it a do it yourself.
Looks nice.

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from bcfast:

Well upon closer examination it is not a flasher behind the speaker it is light but barely any light gets through but my camera picked it up and if you get close you can see it.

No the light in the socket above the speakers are flashers only. The dim light in the speakers are a result of the light from the florescent tube lighting the back box that is filtering though the blue plexi cutout sandwiched between the speaker panel and the speaker grill. The lights behind the side delta shields are also flashers and it also gets light from the florescent tube.

20131212_215542.jpg 70 KB

20131212_215606.jpg 153 KB

20131212_215619.jpg 195 KB

20131212_215619-59.jpg 195 KB

20131212_215658.jpg 181 KB

20131212_215428.jpg 130 KB

20131212_215730.jpg 161 KB

20131212_215847.jpg 218 KB

20131212_215901.jpg 185 KB

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I would guess if you are leaving the lights standard behind the speakers (flashers only) you might get a little bit better result with them if you would pick up a couple of flex LED flashers and point them straight at the edge of the blue plexi / acrylic that is mounted between the speaker and the speaker panel. I guess these flashers aren't used yet in code, but when / if they are, I'm guessing the bulb being directly pointed at the plexi / acrylic edge will give some added light.
If anyone is interested in a speaker light kit for these. The standard Stern kit from pinballtoppers.com will work fine in Star Trek: LE. Just send a message saying it is for a Star Trek: LE so we can include the correct hardware. We have the required hardware to mount these with stock speakers. If you have upgraded speakers you would just need to replace the screws we supply (3/8" #6-32) with 1" #6-32 machine screws (very easy to find in most places that sell screws / nuts / bolts).

I took my speaker panel apart and took some pictures. The speakers are held in with 4, 6-32 nuts and their are 4 studs spot welded to the back of the stainless steel panel so it's not much room to play with but you might could add a few washers under the speaker to let in some light. I am going to try and add blue LED strips to the bottom and sides of the blue plexi and leave the top open for the flasher. The speakers are 4"x4" as well as the custom cut speaker grill and the cut light blue plexi. Here's are a few pictures.
STLEdmdspeaker 011.JPGSTLEdmdspeaker 011.JPG
STLEdmdspeaker 014.JPGSTLEdmdspeaker 014.JPG
STLEdmdspeaker 023.JPGSTLEdmdspeaker 023.JPG
STLEdmdspeaker 024.JPGSTLEdmdspeaker 024.JPG
STLEdmdspeaker 025.JPGSTLEdmdspeaker 025.JPG
STLEdmdspeaker 026.JPGSTLEdmdspeaker 026.JPG
STLEdmdspeaker 027.JPGSTLEdmdspeaker 027.JPG
STLEdmdspeaker 030.JPGSTLEdmdspeaker 030.JPG

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Thanks for the pics.
So does the bottom layer (in the last pic) not come off at all? I don't even really understand what that is. Is it a blue etched acrylic with a metal plate over it that is tack welded to the bolts to stay on? If so...I don't even know what purpose that metal backing plates serves.
They're a couple of other strange design decisions here. I wonder why they extended the bottom design plate down to make sure they didn't cut off the bottom of the logo (bottom picture)...yet they cut the tip off at the top? It's also strange that they have the tips cut out and etched, yet they cover the backs of them up with the grill. You would think they would have had the grill completely "combed" out except for where the mounting holes were and possibly the center hole, like they have it now.

It's a square piece of blue plexi that has cut outs which shadows the cut out in the panel. It's pushed on the studs so tight I was afraid I would crack it if I tried to remove it. I have some video of it and the red DMD cover under the display but I still have to edit it and upload it.

#72 10 years ago

The blue LED strips I ordered off Ebay arrived today so I just taped them to the edge around the speaker on 3 sides leaving the top open for the flasher and connected it to a battery just to see how it might look. Look's pretty good so next I might try putting a few spacers under the speaker to let a little more light in and see how that looks. Then I'll have to come up with some type of bracket to mount the LED strips. They came with adhesive strips on the back. The 2 LED strips cost me $6.99 with free shipping from China and run off 12VDC. Each have 12 -LED's and are 30 cm long which is almost 12 inches which will cover 3 sides of a 4" speaker.
STLE 013.JPGSTLE 013.JPG
STLE 016.JPGSTLE 016.JPG
STLE 017.JPGSTLE 017.JPG
STLE 018.JPGSTLE 018.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 24.95
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SaminVA.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-didnt-see-any-stle-threads-so-here-are-my-comments?tu=SaminVA and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.