Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

shirt-2.jpg
    shirt-1.jpg
    shirt.jpg
    L1_small.jpg
    freeplay_small.jpg
    flippers_small.jpg
    brick_small.jpg
    OMT_small.jpg
    Rubber_small.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

So I want to pre-order a CPR playfield but don't have the scratch! Rather than sell my body (who would want it?), I decided to throw together a few t-shirt designs. I don't have the means to mass produce these things myself so I've put them up on the shirt site Redbubble. My wife was kind enough to point out that you can opt to have the image on the back of the shirt, so folks can see it while you play.

You can find a link to them here: http://www.redbubble.com/people/pinmatt

I've also added "pinside" and "pinball" to the tags to make searching easier.

I figure I'll do them as a limited run. I'll leave them up for a bit and once I cover the rest of my PF dough I'll take them down. People like limited editions right? I have a couple other ideas floating around for other designs and I'm open to suggestions although I try to stick to comedy/parody. Anyway, here's a few pics.

*note, deleted some stuff on advice from fellow pinsiders*

Rubber_small.jpgRubber_small.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Rubbers shirt is awesome!

#3 10 years ago

I think your designs look great. I like the CFTBL the best.

#4 10 years ago

Rubbers shirt is very cool.

#5 10 years ago

creature one is cute

#6 10 years ago

Mm looks to be about right.

#7 10 years ago

Lol at mm
    Rubbers is great
    Nice work

#8 10 years ago

I dig Pinbot. I played the hell out of that as a teen.

#10 10 years ago

Just ordered.

#11 10 years ago

I like the bk2k,Pinbot and mm styled t shirts

#12 10 years ago

dont get caught for not Licensing some of this artwork

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Stu:

dont get caught for not Licensing some of this artwork

Yeah, very cool designs, but you are going to get a Cease and Desist letter within a week.

#14 10 years ago

I guess I'll take it down then and just order them for myself. I'll put new stuff up tonight.

#15 10 years ago

I took them down except for the rubbers one. I'm not trying to get in trouble. Thanks for the advice, sometimes I don't think before I act.

#16 10 years ago

You might have been too hasty, not all of them were going to run into license problems. The Merlin MM one, the creature hand, all I can remember off the top of my head from seeing before, but those shouldn't have any issues. The hand wasn't enough to be a problem with Universal, too generic, and anyone is allowed to draw a wizard, you weren't treading on a specific trademark there. The trolls joke was an obvious MM reference, but nothing wrong with that.

#17 10 years ago

Shoot me a pm, would like to see the options.

#18 10 years ago

funny thing is nobody makes pinball t-shirts anymore (i mean nice ones), even the ones who holds the rights don't, and there is always someone (friend) who will report to them, for what? 50 cent a t-shirt... lolll

your t-shirts are fine, just to make sure nobody cries or report, come up with your own designs.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from beatmaster:

funny thing is nobody makes pinball t-shirts anymore (i mean nice ones), even the ones who holds the rights don't, and there is always someone (friend) who will report to them, for what? 50 cent a t-shirt... lolll
    your t-shirts are fine, just to make sure nobody cries or report, come up with your own designs.

I agree. To be honest, I would put them out there for no-profit if I could, but I don't want to risk it.

Anybody have the phone number or email of WMS/Bally licensing? It never hurts to ask.

#20 10 years ago

Rick at Planetary Pinball....
    planetarypinball.com

Quoted from MattG:

number or email of WMS/Bally licensing? It never hurts to ask

#21 10 years ago

Rick is easy to work with. He probably isn't going to care about a couple of Tshirts. It's not like your a big business. But maybe you could work out a deal and they would carry them on their website. Could turn into a side business for you.

#22 10 years ago

Email sent! Lets see how it goes!

Also, thanks for all the advice and encouragement folks!

#23 10 years ago

Sometimes just getting a written letter of permission is all you would need. No money involved (if agreed upon) -no fancy pants license contracts. Also, there is a legal grey area in regards to "parody" works that protect an artist's right to use copyrighted material in a derivative work that is a parody of the original piece. Some of these may fall under that category.

Safest thing to do is just contact Rick - it's not like you are repro'ing big-money parts.

Good luck

-BB

#24 10 years ago

I say get the permission and set-up at the big shows. You can run those off locally, sell them cheaper, sell more of them, and make a greater margin, plus you are pretty well located for some big pin events! Good luck!

#25 10 years ago

Speaking as a 1/2 owner in a Pinball Shirt company I don't think that all of your designs needed licensing. The Bad Cats one was perfectly fine since you never mentioned "Bad Cats". We've (pinballshirts.com) been doing things that are not licensed or that the original art is still owned by the artist. What we did find was that getting access to the rights for B/W logos and Art owned by the company was next to impossible. There's something about T-Shirts that they wanted to avoid. I don't remember thinking your designs would get you in trouble. I was a little jealous actually - I thought they were nice. PM me...

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from beatmaster:

funny thing is nobody makes pinball t-shirts anymore

Not true...

http://arcadenovelties.com

#27 10 years ago

Hey thanks for the input guys. I sent Rick an email who informed me that it would be a licensing/royalty situation to sell those shirts and while it isn;t out of the question, he was too busy setting up for show season to go into at the moment.

I've gone ahead and designed a few generic shirts if anyone is interested in them. They are non-game specific and related to the hobby in general. I've attached images below. A few designs are available in different colors. My online shop is currently located here http://www.redbubble.com/people/pinmatt/collections/210501-pinball

OMT_small.jpgOMT_small.jpg brick_small.jpgbrick_small.jpg flippers_small.jpgflippers_small.jpg freeplay_small.jpgfreeplay_small.jpg L1_small.jpgL1_small.jpg

#28 10 years ago

The only person who can help you is Steven Macaluso at WMS Gaming
    be prepared to pay 100k, they own the trademarks and copyrights and are the rights owners, everyone else is just a pinball or pinball parts only licensee.

WMS have licensed out Phone games and xbox type of games, artwork and many other products
    remember even if you get a WMS license to make tshirts, none of the licensed themes can be done without seperate licenses from each 3rd party as all of those licenses have expired.

#29 10 years ago

I like the I love Pinball shirt. No wait, I LOVE IT!!!!

#30 10 years ago

the Free Play press start shirt, should be really long and have the start button on the crotch.

I'd buy one in a second if that was the case.

#31 10 years ago

Cool Shirt!

#32 10 years ago

How about something with a small logo on the front and the large design on the back?

#33 10 years ago

Just got my ultra limited edition PinBot Shirt. (Ordered before they were pulled)
    Very nice!!!

shirt.jpgshirt.jpg

#34 10 years ago

Wear it with pride! it is literally a one of a kind!

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from zippydapinhead:

Just got my ultra limited edition PinBot Shirt. (Ordered before they were pulled)
    Very nice!!!

I didn't get to see the originals...man....I would of jumped up to buy this one!!! Suckies.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from zippydapinhead:

Very nice!!!

I really want one
    I liked the pinbot and the mm tshirts

2 weeks later
    #37 10 years ago

Just got back from the NW Pinball Show. Python very much liked your shirt design and was kind enough to lay his signature upon it. (Signed my Pinbot and Fish Tales aprons too)

Quoted from MattG:

I sent Rick an email who informed me that it would be a licensing/royalty situation to sell those shirts

If you can't get Rick to give you the OK, contact Python - he's fine with it if you contact him.

shirt-1.jpgshirt-1.jpg shirt-2.jpgshirt-2.jpg

#38 10 years ago

very cool zippy, love the shirt design

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-designed-some-pinball-t-shirts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.