(Topic ID: 18370)

I can't afford this hobby anymore. These prices are ridiculous.

By pinbill_blocked

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

happy-gilmore-punch_a_GIFSoup.com.gif
    th_uncle_fester.jpg
    In_a_jar.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 11 years ago

It should be noted that you are only talking about LE titles.

The Pros haven't gone up anywhere near as much. You can get a NIB XM for $4100.00.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinwiz1985:

What happened with the less is more approach? Why reinvent the wheel? Give me a simple (but interesting) layout, solid set of rules, good sounds, plenty of lighting to catch my eye, thats the magic of pinball right there I think.

Again: buy the pro version instead of the LE. Simple.

#110 11 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

Anyday of the week, I'd like to go back to a point in time where a pop in the nose was the proper response to douchebaggery.
    » YouTube video

#111 11 years ago
    Quoted from Billmelater:

So explain to me again how more supply causes the prices to go up? It's amazing to read these comments and see how few people understand basic economics and supply and demand. The prices are going up because there are a lot more collectors with a lot more money joining the hobby. More parts are available to rebuild the machines so people are restoring and putting money into them and new collectors want something nice to put in the home. (think muscle cars and how the cycle that hobby went through). Apparrently there still are not enough machines to satiate the demand but it looks like the market is trying to rebalance with the new entrants into the market place. Get used to the new pin pricing, look around all commodities, goods and services are going up and have been going up. Everything costs more. Pins aren't cheap to make and everything you put in them costs more. Stern, JJP and others must be doing something right, they seem to be selling everything the can build and even what they plan to build. I recommend some take some time away from the forum and google Adam Smith, Invisibile hand, pricing mechanism and allocation of scarce resources in a free economy.

I agree with this. It was interesting to see JPop comment on the pinball cycles too, and he indicated that we are clearly on an "up" cycle right now.

#119 11 years ago
    Quoted from vulture:

I gave Billmelater a thumbs up on his earlier post because I totally agree with what he wrote about basic economics and capitalism. But this is what ruins great forums, when you guys start in with the political posts & rants. Please take it elsewhere.

I agree, but I do wish people would stop saying things like it is "greed" that is making pins cost what they cost. It's like a catch phrase from the OWS movement, and the "99 percent" BS. The greed comment is what started that discussion.

#139 11 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

You guys need to lighten up a bit. I made the greeeeeed (you know like in AF and TZ, thus the multiple e's) comment earlier as a way to throw in a lighthearted pinball quote. It was not meant to pit one social class against another, and was taken way out of context of what I meant by it. Wow!

Quoted from bigdaddy07:

You guys need to lighten up a bit. I made the greeeeeed (you know like in AF and TZ, thus the multiple e's) comment earlier as a way to throw in a lighthearted pinball quote. It was not meant to pit one social class against another, and was taken way out of context of what I meant by it. Wow!

Bah, now I feel stupid. Sorry for missing the context.

#158 11 years ago
    Quoted from mechslave:

You're high on your quote from 20 years ago, not factoring in that often 20-50% of B/W titles were sold at closeout pricing ($1900-2200). My friend bought a NIB MB for $3600 in 98, and that was cutthroat pricing... he had to drive 20 hrs round trip bc every distributor was sold out.
    And it's also the fact that the prices didn't creep up or gradually increase over time. It was $4000 NIB for top of the line fully featured model..then directly to $5600, then $6600. Many paid $7400 for their LTBR/BIB. That's within two years. That's why people are having trouble with it, not because the inflation rate isn't correct but because it happened so quickly.
    Stern's new games are selling better at the new price increases than they did before, so I think overall most have indeed gotten a grip.

But WHY are they selling better at the new price increases?

Part of the reason is that they are more fully featured, and have been great playing pins. People were bitching and complaining about how cheap Stern was being with stripped playfields etc. Stern listened and comes out with more fully featured LE models, which are obviously going to cost more. So far, they haven't had trouble selling them.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-cunt-afford-this-hobby-anymore-these-prices-are-rediculous?tu=robt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.