(Topic ID: 18370)

I can't afford this hobby anymore. These prices are ridiculous.

By pinbill_blocked

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

happy-gilmore-punch_a_GIFSoup.com.gif
    th_uncle_fester.jpg
    In_a_jar.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikes.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 11 years ago

We only have ourselves to blame for high pinball prices. We as collectors set the market prices with our pocketbooks. As long as the demand is there and people are willing to shell out $7K or more on a pin the prices will continue to rise. At some point though the market will be saturated with these high end collector machines and prices will have to come back down. We only have so much space and cash that we can allocate to pinball.

My guess is that once JJP is producing games and they are able to keep up with demand that Stern will drop prices into the $5K range again to pickup the lower spectrum of the collector's market .-similar to what Data East and Sega did in the 90's. I don't think there is room for two manufacturers in the $7K and up market. This may not happen for another year or two (maybe on JJP's 2nd pin?), but I think it will happen. Right now Stern is just taking advantage of being the "Only real maker of pinball machines", but once it has competition I think they will have to adjust their business strategy to remain successful.

#53 11 years ago

I'm also curious to see what will happen on the JJP side of the fence. If he is indeed planning to produce machines for as long as there is demand.-I know he mentioned wanting to build 10K or more of them. Will collectors still be willing to drop $7K or more on his next title knowing that they are likely purchasing a depreciating asset? I think a big boon to the NIB market right now is that people can sell many of the new releases HUO for more than they bought them for NIB. There really isn't much risk involved. However, If the supply is seemingly unlimited for NIB games; the only place for prices to go is down for used games.

#54 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinbill_blocked:

You might be right and it will be interesting to see how much a HUO WOZ goes for in a few years. I was thinking that JJP next pin, if WOZ ever gets released, will be even more expensive. I just assumed that based on the recent price increase.
    Does anyone know why he raised the price? Usually the price would go up if he's selling too many but i don't see that being the case here.

I think he raised prices simply to raise more funds and get anyone that was on the fence to commit to a game now while the market is hot, rather than 6 months (or more) from now. I think the $7K price is more of a scare tactic than anything. A year from now when everyone that wants a WOZ has one and demand has died down, I'm guessing that WOZ's will be available NIB for under $7K. I think the $7K will remain the MSRP price (much like Stern has a $8K MSRP on XMen LE), but I think distributers will give deals to people to sell more games just like they currently do with Stern games.-I could be wrong, but this is what I foresee happening.

I don't necessarily think the next JJP will be more expensive, but I do think it will be cost reduced compared to WOZ. I think Jack is throwing everything he has into WOZ despite the costs to make a statement. I think it is inevitable though that at some point he'll become more concerned with profits rather than just trying to show Stern up.

In some ways I kind of feel like we are in the middle of a small pinball bubble similar to what occurred between 92-94. Between those years there were a ton of games sold and the mfrs. started throwing everything they could into the games to grab whatever share of the market that they could (widebodies, lots of flippers and toys, etc.). Shortly after though they started cutting costs mostly due to a saturated and declining pinball market.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikes.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-cunt-afford-this-hobby-anymore-these-prices-are-rediculous?tu=mikes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.