(Topic ID: 18370)

I can't afford this hobby anymore. These prices are ridiculous.

By pinbill_blocked

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

happy-gilmore-punch_a_GIFSoup.com.gif
    th_uncle_fester.jpg
    In_a_jar.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#90 11 years ago

Buying pinball machines is not for the average person. If you don't make enough money to afford these things then stick to buying cheaper pins. I think the prices are reasonable considering what's being offered and inflation. Making a pinball machine is very expensive. If you can't afford the new offerings then buy stern pros or cheaper used pins. Or don't buy at all.

#98 11 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

Says the man with a 20 game $100K collection. When you have plenty of money, it's really easy to recommend less fortunate people to "not buy at all," isn't it?
    It's a lot more complicated then "don't buy at all" when money is an issue.

Expecting games to drop on price isn't the answer either, though. I'm not trying to be rude here. But pinball prices aren't high because manufacturers are greedy. They're high because it costs a lot to make a good game. A $6000 pinball today is on par price wise with a $3000 pinball in 1993. That's just regular inflation. Complaining about the prices doesn't seem like the answer. If you cannot afford the new pins, wait a few years and see if they drop in price and buy what you can afford.

And I shouldn't be ashamed of being able to afford 20 expensive pins either It's not that people are just less fortunate. A few years ago I was barely getting by managing a McDonalds for $20k a year. I worked 80 hours a week for several years to get to where I am at now. People make their lives into what they want.

#124 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Some guys, like me, are just trying to cobble together enough money to buy *one* NIB pin. It's not like I'm trying to buy a MM. I just want something that smells like varnish and clearcoat, instead of something that smells like rat piss.

I want to point out that just because a pin is 20 years old doesn't mean that it will smell bad or not be nice. Of my collection, I have 12 some williams pins that are all 20+ years old. These are all in amazing shape. People come by my place that don't know pinball and cannot tell what are the new pins vs the old ones. If you spend a lot of time making your pins nice, they will be nice. You don't need to be a professional restorer to be able to turn a few screws, remove some ramps, and *clean*. The better pins in my collection were all bought in rough shape and fixed up by me.

There's also nothing wrong with buying pins in the ~$2k range such as Demolotion man, Johnny Mnemonic, etc. These are some fun games. Buy a little low, clean and fix things up, sell a little higher, put that cash into something a little more expensive, repeat.

#168 11 years ago
    Quoted from mechslave:

And it's also the fact that the prices didn't creep up or gradually increase over time. It was $4000 NIB for top of the line fully featured model..then directly to $5600, then $6600. Many paid $7400 for their LTBR/BIB. That's within two years. That's why people are having trouble with it, not because the inflation rate isn't correct but because it happened so quickly.
    Stern's new games are selling better at the new price increases than they did before, so I think overall most have indeed gotten a grip.

Stern attempted to keep the price flat in face of inflation but kept profit by cutting features and cheapening on parts. At one point, they laid off their expensive design teams and kept the most minimal team possible. After customer outcry, they have given up on flattening the prices and have again been making full features machines but are selling them for what they are worth. The are the LEs. They also make the cheaper version called the pro for those that route the machine or otherwise don't want to pay the LE prices. I think it was a great compromise.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-cunt-afford-this-hobby-anymore-these-prices-are-rediculous?tu=markmon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.