(Topic ID: 18370)

I can't afford this hobby anymore. These prices are ridiculous.

By pinbill_blocked

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

happy-gilmore-punch_a_GIFSoup.com.gif
    th_uncle_fester.jpg
    In_a_jar.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinbill_blocked:

I'm retired and like to buy the newer games, but these prices are getting outrageous!
    Yesterday when JJP raised the price of WOZ $500 and it's not even out yet, it got me thinking that NIB prices are following the curve of the 90's games, yet with no proven collectable track record. Most do hold their value, but will games with 7-8K price tags really hold their value?
    I think modern MSRP's are going to kill the entire newer pinball industry as they're pricing more and more people out of the market.
    Post edited by gweempose : Thread title fixed.

I think for perspective, if you look at the costs of some amusement equipment, pinball is not out of line. And if you look at the cost of a new pinball game normalized for inflation and taking into account the increases in the costs of raw materials and shipping (gas prices) over the last five years, there aren't too many surprises. The price of copper, as just one example, has doubled.

Pinball is being stretched in two directions I think: regaining viability in the location market, but likewise pleasing collectors. It's tough to please both especially when one market doesn't necessarily care about the whims of the other.

For example, when Ironman first came out it was often criticized by collectors for being too sparse. But in the last year or so, it has gained a sort of cult following for its brutal difficulty, crazy speed and simple yet addictive play. The short game times, in theory, boost revenues for operators.

STERN tried to please collectors with the costco lite versions, and everyone hated it. But the LEs are selling like hot cakes. So it isn't the manufacturers who are directing prices, it's your well-heeled fellow pinball enthusiasts.

For now, at least, it seems to work. At some point, the market may eat its fill and decide it's done spending big money on NIB games. If that happens, the mfg'ers will have to try something else.

#140 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinbill_blocked:

The pros you get for around 4k are not the complete game. It's like buying a TZ without the mini playfield and gumball machine. It's bad enough the software is never finished.
    At least JJ's LE is just cosmetic.
    I think many people are jumping on a lot of these new games because they're afraid of missing out next BBB. I just wonder how long this will last. Is the NIB market that big?

The differences between the Pros and LEs are so overblown. I've played both of TF, TRON and ACDC and I think the gameplay is actually better on the pro for TF and ACDC, and almost no different on TRON.

The gameplay difference is similar in magnitude to TAF Gold, i.e. the additional content feels tacked on.

I think if people were less concerned with keeping up with the Joneses they would probably enjoy a pro more, since they would have more money left over to do a few mod projects like we're seeing on TRON.

#170 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

+1
    Romney 2012!!! I bagged groceries for his wife one time at my job.

The irony of this post...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-cunt-afford-this-hobby-anymore-these-prices-are-rediculous?tu=jonnyo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.