(Topic ID: 18370)

I can't afford this hobby anymore. These prices are ridiculous.

By pinbill_blocked

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

happy-gilmore-punch_a_GIFSoup.com.gif
    th_uncle_fester.jpg
    In_a_jar.gif
    There are 181 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #2 11 years ago

Learn to spell.

Edit: Listen fellas. I see I've gotten numerous "thumbs down". I was just responding to the original thread title of "I c*nt afford this hobby anymore". I know it was done to make everyone laugh etc. but, we've got a few ladies on this site that just might be offended by the original title.

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinbill_blocked:

I think modern MSRP's are going to kill the entire newer pinball industry as they're pricing more and more people out of the market.

I totally agree .

Jim

#4 11 years ago

They are going to continue to do it as long as the demand is there. Obviously there are plenty of people still willing to shell out the big bucks. The only difference is they are shelling out the big bucks for an unproven game and company, instead of games like AFM or MM.

#5 11 years ago

Awe, give the guy a break he only got one vowel wrong .

Jim

#6 11 years ago

Yah, I do share some of the same feelings.

Regarding the spelling in the thread title, that is. You may want to change that up.

#7 11 years ago

Yeah. That's a pretty epic spelling mistake in that title (and I'm certainly not talking about ridiculous).

#8 11 years ago

Pinbill: If it was an honest mistake, so be it.

If not, keep the forums clean please.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Jim

I see you're giving him a pass on 'rediculous'. Very generous of you. And yeah, the high prices do stink, but what are you going to do. Pinball is a niche hobby and the prices reflect that.

#10 11 years ago

er...on the keyboard those letters are not even close....

#11 11 years ago

Judging by most of his posts it was not a mistake.

#12 11 years ago

It does stink if you only buy NIB. However this hobby can be affordable if you broaden your search to include older pins.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

Judging by most of his posts it was not a mistake.

+1

#14 11 years ago

Sorry, problem solved. no need to be rude.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from ab3:

I see you're giving him a pass on 'rediculous'.

I was kidding !! Good heck you guys are no fun to hang with .

Jim

#17 11 years ago

You dont have to get out just search out small ops in your area and work with them.
    Your retired so why not get something a few years old and shop it....save $$$$.
    I have gotten - RCT- E!- POTC - all from the same guy. Passed on a TSPP.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

I was kidding !! Good heck you guys are no fun to hang with .
    Jim

Sorry, so was I, I guess I should have used some sort of emoticon.

#19 11 years ago

Sorry, problem solved. no need to be rude.

So now you know how to spell "ridiculous". Can you spell "can't"?

#20 11 years ago

Maybe he's typing with a british accent?

#22 11 years ago

I'd say most people aren't constantly buying NIB anyhow...even at previous NIB pricing

#23 11 years ago

I was considering buying NIB only just last week.

Then I snapped out of the crazy notion. I can buy two PROVEN mid 90s Williams/Bally triple A titles for the same money.

Even at inflated prices.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Jim

Made me Look....... and Yes !! As long as Ppl are buying NIB's , The Prices Will Climb !!

J.Jack has his Followers by the Nut's , bet he could build a " Mary Poppins " Pin and sell out

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

Then I snapped out of the crazy notion. I can buy two PROVEN mid 90s Williams/Bally triple A titles for the same money.

Even at inflated prices.

Where are you hiding these deals? You holding back? BASTARD!

P.S. You should buy my pins ...

#26 11 years ago

Just fixed the thread title. The funny thing is that my brain didn't even notice it.

#27 11 years ago

In_a_jar.gifIn_a_jar.gif

#28 11 years ago

It should be noted that you are only talking about LE titles.

The Pros haven't gone up anywhere near as much. You can get a NIB XM for $4100.00.

#30 11 years ago

Not only are prices sky rocketing to prevent us mere mortals from purchasing NIB, what I also see it doing is making older machines more desirable, game condition and title dependent of course. I'd love to purchase WOZ to play but thats impossible.

Recent modern pinballs to me have TOO much going on in the PF. We live in a world full of computers, complex video games, etc, I think Pinball needs to strip itself back down to simple playfield layouts, interesting themes, with modern tech. WOZ looks flipping amazing and the hype is good to get interest in pinball to come back...but I don't think you need to load up a machine with huge LCD screens, lots of toys, videos, etc to make it compete with a computer or video game console.

What happened with the less is more approach? Why reinvent the wheel? Give me a simple (but interesting) layout, solid set of rules, good sounds, plenty of lighting to catch my eye, thats the magic of pinball right there I think.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

Where are you hiding these deals? You holding back? BASTARD!

P.S. You should buy my pins ...

There's stuff out there, but you have to be a bear in a tutu, dancing on a ball to get anything done.

I did try, for that one deal!

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from Sc1f1:

Jesus Christ people!! Is this an English class or pinball forum?? Grammar Nazis are just retarded on forums... some people are using mobile devices and grammar is not important. Nothing better to do than call people out for minor spelling is stupid and plain asinine.
    PinBill I know what you mean. Half the problem is the trophy cookie cutter collectors

Like I said above (you must not have read it), if it was an honest mistake, no big deal. Just seems to me that given Bill's track record here it wasn't a mistake. I'm pretty thick-skinned, but i'm sure others on here, especially the women, find the word "c**t" a tad disrespectful and vulgar.

Just keep the forum clean and respectable, yeah?

Post edited by The_Dude_Abides : Edited to keep it respectable

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinwiz1985:

Recent modern pinballs to me have TOO much going on in the PF. We live in a world full of computers, complex video games, etc, I think Pinball needs to strip itself back down to simple playfield layouts, interesting themes, with modern tech. WOZ looks flipping amazing and the hype is good to get interest in pinball to come back...but I don't think you need to load up a machine with huge LCD screens, lots of toys, videos, etc to make it compete with a computer or video game console.

What happened with the less is more approach? Why reinvent the wheel? Give me a simple (but interesting) layout, solid set of rules, good sounds, plenty of lighting to catch my eye, thats the magic of pinball right there I think.

Are you a Stern employee in Pinsider's clothing?

#34 11 years ago

I am content with my old games that need work. I tried buying newer games, and the fact that they didn't need complete overhauls kinda ruined it for me.

Once I've overhauled a game, I kinda have a bond with it... I don't do 'mods', so I'm not gonna get that on a NIB purchase.

#35 11 years ago

When were NIB pins ever considered cheap?

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

I am content with my old games that need work. I tried buying newer games, and the fact that they didn't need complete overhauls kinda ruined it for me.
    Once I've overhauled a game, I kinda have a bond with it... I don't do 'mods', so I'm not gonna get that on a NIB purchase.

Agreed. Most of the enjoyment I get is bringing an older pin up to snuff repair-wise.

#37 11 years ago

While I agree nib prices are increasing, I don't see the price going much higher than it already is. I do, on the other hand, forsee used and classic games declining in price soon; maybe not the top A listers, but at least the top B games.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinwiz1985:

Again: buy the pro version instead of the LE. Simple.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

Are you a Stern employee in Pinsider's clothing?

Absolutley not! Just a mere mortal who dreams of buying modern NIB pinballsIf anything Stern to me is the exact reason why modern pinballs are too damn complex. I can't imagine they are too happy of JJP entering the market, thats what the industry needs again to make it fun...healthy competition and more buying choices. Hey, if games were simpler, wouldnt that make the price cheaper than the average NIB MSRP?? I don't do mods either, not a fan, its borderline re-theming a game from its original. I'm shotgunning an Embryon from the ground up on artwork and electronics, not only do I have a bond with the game from my childhood, but even more so repairing it myself, learning as I go!

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

J.Jack has his Followers by the Nut's , bet he could build a " Mary Poppins "

Do not give him any ideas..., this could be pin #3

#41 11 years ago

I'm retired and like to buy the newer games, but these prices are getting outrageous!
    Yesterday when JJP raised the price of WOZ $500 and it's not even out yet, it got me thinking that NIB prices are following the curve of the 90's games, yet with no proven collectable track record. Most do hold their value, but will games with 7-8K price tags really hold their value?
    I think modern MSRP's are going to kill the entire newer pinball industry as they're pricing more and more people out of the market.
    Post edited by gweempose : Thread title fixed.

I think for perspective, if you look at the costs of some amusement equipment, pinball is not out of line. And if you look at the cost of a new pinball game normalized for inflation and taking into account the increases in the costs of raw materials and shipping (gas prices) over the last five years, there aren't too many surprises. The price of copper, as just one example, has doubled.

Pinball is being stretched in two directions I think: regaining viability in the location market, but likewise pleasing collectors. It's tough to please both especially when one market doesn't necessarily care about the whims of the other.

For example, when Ironman first came out it was often criticized by collectors for being too sparse. But in the last year or so, it has gained a sort of cult following for its brutal difficulty, crazy speed and simple yet addictive play. The short game times, in theory, boost revenues for operators.

STERN tried to please collectors with the costco lite versions, and everyone hated it. But the LEs are selling like hot cakes. So it isn't the manufacturers who are directing prices, it's your well-heeled fellow pinball enthusiasts.

For now, at least, it seems to work. At some point, the market may eat its fill and decide it's done spending big money on NIB games. If that happens, the mfg'ers will have to try something else.

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

It should be noted that you are only talking about LE titles.

The Pros haven't gone up anywhere near as much. You can get a NIB XM for $4100.00.

The pros you get for around 4k are not the complete game. It's like buying a TZ without the mini playfield and gumball machine. It's bad enough the software is never finished.
    At least JJ's LE is just cosmetic.

I think many people are jumping on a lot of these new games because they're afraid of missing out next BBB. I just wonder how long this will last. Is the NIB market that big?

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I agree !!! I Don't like that word ,, but i like lOOk-n at it []

That is so inappropriate!

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Like I said above (you must not have read it), if it was an honest mistake, no big deal. Just seems to me that given Bill's track record here it wasn't a mistake. I'm pretty thick-skinned, but i'm sure others on here, especially the women, find the word "c**t" a tad disrespectful and vulgar.

Just keep the forum clean and respectable, yeah?

Come on, the subject line wasn't funny? admit it, you laughed.

#46 11 years ago

I thought it was funny, but I'm not a prude....

#47 11 years ago

We only have ourselves to blame for high pinball prices. We as collectors set the market prices with our pocketbooks. As long as the demand is there and people are willing to shell out $7K or more on a pin the prices will continue to rise. At some point though the market will be saturated with these high end collector machines and prices will have to come back down. We only have so much space and cash that we can allocate to pinball.

My guess is that once JJP is producing games and they are able to keep up with demand that Stern will drop prices into the $5K range again to pickup the lower spectrum of the collector's market .-similar to what Data East and Sega did in the 90's. I don't think there is room for two manufacturers in the $7K and up market. This may not happen for another year or two (maybe on JJP's 2nd pin?), but I think it will happen. Right now Stern is just taking advantage of being the "Only real maker of pinball machines", but once it has competition I think they will have to adjust their business strategy to remain successful.

#48 11 years ago

I think it depends on how you define "this hobby."

If it's "collecting the latest full-featured games and the most sought-after machines of the last 20 years," sure, the way it is going many income levels have been priced out.

If it's "pinball," then there are many options for affordable machines that don't depreciate much and allow for active participation in the hobby with a modest initial investment. For NIB, there's the pro line.

I set a budget for the total amount I have to work with for the pins I own and once that's reached (soon), I plan to have a one-comes-in, one-goes-out approach. (Famous last words.) I rationalize it as "some guys would buy a boat, I bought into this hobby instead, with a similar investment." And, as a bonus, the pins will likely lose less value.

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I don't think there is room for two manufacturers in the $7K and up market.

You might be right and it will be interesting to see how much a HUO WOZ goes for in a few years. I was thinking that JJP next pin, if WOZ ever gets released, will be even more expensive. I just assumed that based on the recent price increase.
    Does anyone know why he raised the price? Usually the price would go up if he's selling too many but i don't see that being the case here.

#50 11 years ago

As long as we don't start seeing LW3s for $4000, F14s for $3000, and TAF for $20000, I think the pinball prices are....bearable. As many have said, if some people can pop $8000 for a new machine: have at it.

The thing that scares me is if those NIB prices start pushing up ALL the other prices to where new owners can't afford neither NIB nor 20-30 year old machines. That is when pinball will go from a fun hobby to an elitist's toy

There are 181 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-cunt-afford-this-hobby-anymore-these-prices-are-rediculous and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.