(Topic ID: 101677)

I can't bring myself to put a single LED in my TZ, it's SO perfect as is.

By pinball_erie

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TZ_After.jpg
TZ_Before.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I am not an LED hater, put LED's in all my other games actually. This is the first pin I have ever owned where perfection seems to have been achieved and I can't, in good conscience, change any lighting. Does anyone else feel this about this pin in particular?

#2 9 years ago

No, and it's my favorite machine ever. Very hard for me to not LED Inserts in any DMD era machine.
But every game is diff'rent I hear you there.

#3 9 years ago

I under stand your feelings but IMO , it really makes the game stand out even more. I did it to my near perfect HUO TZ and Im not sorry at all. Really lights it up.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_erie:

I am not an LED hater, put LED's in all my other games actually. This is the first pin I have ever owned where perfection seems to have been achieved and I can't, in good conscience, change any lighting. Does anyone else feel this about this pin in particular?

Sweet! Everyone has different tastes, do what YOU want!

#5 9 years ago

I have the same apprehension with my TZ. I'll eventually put some in the inserts.

#6 9 years ago

LEDs seem anachronistic in tz

#7 9 years ago

I eat LED's for breakfast. mmmm sooo good. The funny thing is, my wife wont play my pins until I LED them lol. Complains they are too dark without the LED's and she cant see what she needs to hit.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

I eat LED's for breakfast. mmmm sooo good. The funny thing is, my wife wont play my pins until I LED them lol. Complains they are too dark without the LED's and she cant see what she needs to hit.

That's funny! Same here. She wasn' really into them until we started LED'ing many years ago. As soon as I led'd the first game it got constant play over the others too.

#9 9 years ago

I haven't added LEDs to my playfield, but I really like the option to add different colors to the backbox.

To me, the regular incandescent lamps are very yellow, and there is a lot of blue in the translite. I want to add some blue in the blue areas, a red at the base of the gumball machine, and maybe keep a few regular incandescent lamps, where the yellow tones are.

I bought some, but they were not bright enough to really show up well, with the lights on in the room. I don't like playing pinball in the dark.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

That's funny! Same here. She wasn' really into them until we started LED'ing many years ago. As soon as I led'd the first game it got constant play over the others too.

She was not super excited when I brought Indiana Jones in. She said "it looks old" few days later I LED the entire machine and sure enough shes playing it all on her own and saying it looks new. lol Every machine was the same thing. EVERY time she says the same thing and I say trust me just wait till I LED it. It's like she forgets every time lol. As long as she likes playing it I am happy.

#11 9 years ago

These photos aren't the greatest and were taken without a flash. It does show a fairly dramatic difference in the color. I'm still tweaking it a bit.

TZ_Before.jpgTZ_Before.jpg

TZ_After.jpgTZ_After.jpg
#12 9 years ago

I struggled with whether or not to LED my TZ as well. I love the way the LED colors pop in the inserts and flashers, so I ended up just doing those and left all the G.I. as incandescent to keep all the great dimming effects during power ball, etc. Seems like I got the best of both worlds...

#13 9 years ago

Nice. Good balance between the GI and inserts/flashers.

Quoted from JP:

I struggled with whether or not to LED my TZ as well. I love the way the LED colors pop in the inserts and flashers, so I ended up just doing those and left all the G.I. as incandescent to keep all the great dimming effects during power ball, etc. Seems like I got the best of both worlds...

#14 9 years ago

Its made me crazy too...I have put in, and taken out.

I think I finally have a "recipe" that will make me happy. Most games had natural white, but for some reason I felt they were just too much on the playfield, and the warms, were not it.
I hope the sunlights I have will be my answer for the GI, with some light in the back from Op-Max, and strips.
Inserts, I will likely use the Optix, as I enjoy the warmth of the superflux on the Orange Panels.
The backbox looks amazing in the above picture, and Rock has a nice TZ door MOD, and we were chatting about
the differences in a single strip of RGB vs Bulbs, vs his rectangle....All good, but I have to agree with Op, this game has tossed me around like a Tugboat in a Hurricane as to how to please myself....If I every get the time..I will post pictures...but in the mean time its all incandescent!

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from TrainH2o:

These photos aren't the greatest and were taken without a flash.

You did it right... a flash would've just reflected off the glass and block too much of the image

#16 9 years ago

i only put LED's in the flashers. Really makes them pop .

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from JP:

I did the same.Recently.For someone who has owned TZ close to 20 years.I like it.A lot.

#18 9 years ago

Thanks for all the PM's on this, awesome stuff. My friend and I put some LED's in the backbox last night.....looks incredibly better and all that Youssi art really pops now. I used a few of Art's strips in a few strategic places and that really looks good.

#19 9 years ago

Thanks for all the PM's on this, awesome stuff. My friend and I put some LED's in the backbox last night.....looks incredibly better and all that Youssi art really pops now. I used a few of Art's strips in a few strategic places and that really looks good.

Let's see a photo. I'm always looking for ideas, especially in the backbox.

Which LEDs did you use? I want some brighter, colored ones in mine.

#20 9 years ago

I was almost in a similar thought when I got mine but it literally is night and day. So much so that before I put in any LED's, my casual pin playing friend said how dark it is.

So any pics of your progress?

#21 9 years ago

I think the cool white in the backbox looks way nicer than the stock warm white. Mine has a few blue LEDs thrown in and the color changing LED strip for the door.

#22 9 years ago

I was the same way about my BSD. I love that game and wanted to keep it exactly the way I remembered it as a kid. I finally decided to put LEDs in and I love it even more. It just looked dead next to my other pins with LEDs. I understand totally where you are coming from but TZ with LEDs looks amazing.

#23 9 years ago

I have 2 TZs. My favorite game. Had LEDs in first one. Although the new one is an upgrade (HEP), got LEDs for it. I think it is a big enhencement. Also love the color DMD set to white.

#24 9 years ago

if by perfection you mean a yellow glow to everything with no colors popping out, yeah, it's perfection.

Mine was 100% LEDs with cointaker star post led bases under every post on the upper playfield which illuminated the signs as a side effect. THe backlgass [as mentioned earlier] looks amazing with LEDs and makes it a work of art.
Incandescent games to me now look they are dirty with cigarette smoke - even shopped or NIB.
just my .02 though. Do as you please!

#25 9 years ago

]I think tz looks alot better with leds and really makes the artwork pop like it should . Also its nice to be able to see the shots and keep track of the ball better .

#26 9 years ago

+1 for the LEDs. I upgraded to LEDs and have never regretted it. TZ doesn't suffer from strobing, ghosting, or bad attract light shows like other machines. LEDs just work out of the box and look great.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from fitzpatricksrus:

TZ doesn't suffer from strobing, ghosting, or bad attract light shows like other machines. LEDs just work out of the box and look great.

Now, I have heard just the opposite.

I have LEDs in my backbox, but haven't put them in the playfield. I was told the attract effects were not the same, with LEDs. I know that the one I did install, the shoot again insert, blinks differently with a LED installed.

Someone with a full LED playfield should shoot, and post, a video of the game in attract mode.

#28 9 years ago

+1 for the LEDs. I upgraded to LEDs and have never regretted it. TZ doesn't suffer from strobing, ghosting, or bad attract light shows like other machines. LEDs just work out of the box and look great.

Totally disagree.

When I ddi the slow motion video fro Herg's LED OCD, I used regular LEDs on a regular TZ and showed terrible results in the lamp matrix. Of course, adding LED OCD fixed it.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from TrainH2o:

Now, I have heard just the opposite.
I have LEDs in my backbox, but haven't put them in the playfield. I was told the attract effects were not the same, with LEDs. I know that the one I did install, the shoot again insert, blinks differently with a LED installed.
Someone with a full LED playfield should shoot, and post, a video of the game in attract mode.

That's why the GI-OCD exists! A great companion to the LED-OCD.

As for LED in TZ, this seems like a game that cool white would work better than warm. Consensus?

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

That's why the GI-OCD exists! A great companion to the LED-OCD.
As for LED in TZ, this seems like a game that cool white would work better than warm. Consensus?

I am going to replace the playfield GI with all cool white, on mine. I like the cooler color GI with this game because of all the black and blue on the playfield. This was also my reason for initially putting LEDs into the backbox.

I bought some regular frosted LEDs for the playfield GI, but they really aren't bright enough. The seller is sending me a sample pack of others to try. I would look for some that are brighter, than the standard LED. I am not one to play in the dark, but I want at least the same light level as the original incandescent lamps.

As for the OCD board, it's a brilliant product but I most likely won't LED all my inserts.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Totally disagree.
When I ddi the slow motion video fro Herg's LED OCD, I used regular LEDs on a regular TZ and showed terrible results in the lamp matrix. Of course, adding LED OCD fixed it.

I've seen the before/after video. The LEDs look horrible before the OCD board. That said, I bought a cointaker kit (yes, I was lazy), dropped them in and don't have a single ghosting light or flicker. They look great. The GI is a different story. If you let it power save (and dim) it looks awful.

#32 9 years ago

I've seen the before/after video. The LEDs look horrible before the OCD board. That said, I bought a cointaker kit (yes, I was lazy), dropped them in and don't have a single ghosting light or flicker. They look great. The GI is a different story. If you let it power save (and dim) it looks awful.

I *think* the GI-OCD would fix this

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from TrainH2o:

I am going to replace the playfield GI with all cool white, on mine. I like the cooler color GI with this game because of all the black and blue on the playfield. This was also my reason for initially putting LEDs into the backbox.
I bought some regular frosted LEDs for the playfield GI, but they really aren't bright enough. The seller is sending me a sample pack of others to try. I would look for some that are brighter, than the standard LED. I am not one to play in the dark, but I want at least the same light level as the original incandescent lamps.
As for the OCD board, it's a brilliant product but I most likely won't LED all my inserts.

The problem with TZ is that although much of the middle of the playfield is blue, there are many areas of red and yellow at the top and around the slingshots. Many of the GI bulbs end up around the red and yellow sections, so I went with warm white frosted premiums (with GI OCD).

In the backbox, though, all cool white frosted.

My game is bright, both in the GI, and the inserts and flashers. Because the GI is bright, though, the effects look great without being blinding. I am also using LED OCD for the inserts for better control of ramp speed and brightness. I tend to play in a dimly lit room, if not in the dark.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-cant-bring-myself-to-put-a-single-led-in-my-tz-its-so-perfect-as-is and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.