Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by wesperron
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN0307.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider examiner.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 12 years ago

My first tip is "No Fear". I'm a 50 year old office worker with zero mechanical apptitude. Before i got into pinball, my tool chest consisted of a couple screwdrivers and a hammer in the junk drawer in the kitchen. One year and 5 machines later (all non-working brought to life)...well, sometimes I still get a little apprehensive when approaching a new problem...but like most things, once I dive in I find the worrying was worse than the fixing.

Quoted from glilly-BOA:

The best rule of thumb is to logically isolate areas

I really think this is the key, and is probably somewhat related to the "success" I have enjoyed so far. My style of thinking is heavily analytical, somewhat linear - and that really helps in this hobby. Every machine has a logic - and too many people spend too much time chasing problems with methods that are, for lack of a better word, illogical. Keep it simple, isolate the problem down to the basics and go from there. Simple things like "this XXX needs voltage to work...am I actually seeing the voltage there?"

Finally, when stumped (I know squat about diagnosing board level problems, but I can replace components), turn to places like these for help. But again, the best help will come when you can clearly describe the problem and you have already isolated it down to the most basic level possible.

But ultimately, you just gotta jump in. In the best Rob Schneider voice from "Waterboy"...."You can do it"!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider examiner.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-can-play-the-game-but?tu=examiner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.