(Topic ID: 289641)

I can deal with a pandemic, but no more #455 blinking bulbs?

By curtisdehaven

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Bublehead
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

thumbnail_IMG_8997 (resized).jpg
bulbs (resized).jpg
DSC01910 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20210525-134026 (resized).png
CB5197B8-B004-4995-AE79-A1D4B44F5D4F (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frenchmarky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 3 years ago

Would adding anything simple to the lamp socket, say different resistors like a low ohm in series or a high ohm in parallel have any effect on the blink rate of the LED blinkers yet still be about as bright? Or is the rate going to stay essentially fixed no matter what?

Those little tealight candle LEDS that flicker extremely randomly are only 3 or 4 cents apiece in bulk, seems like somebody could create a bigger brighter 47 or 44 version that blinks with a little randomness? If real blinkers are vanishing there'd be more incentive to come up with one.

As far as the color I think if you started with a pure white or warm LED and got precise with the physical color filtering in the lens, it would be pretty hard to distinguish it from the color of an incandescent. Seems like currently they are only relying on the actual color of the LED's light (where it seems it's very difficult to exactly recreate the color of a lamp) and the lens is always white or clear. I've used multiple color filter layers on extra bright pure white LEDs to light some faded inserts on a couple of games so the color of the original insert is what I'm aiming for and so they look incandescent-y instead of LED-ish, with good results. On the other hand I recently saw Comet's side by side comparison of a lamp and their 'retro' warm LED and I can't see any difference but haven't tried one.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from JeffThanksYou:

I seem to recall that using a #44 or #47 in a Bally delay will just cause the bulb to blow immediately - so suspect the buzzer (and delay relay) would not work properly at all (I think!)

I'm sure somebody in here could or has come up with a very simple transistor/chip version the size of a quarter that would work for the timer application. Definitely not me though.

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

From what I understand, there's some sort of a timer chip embedded into the lamp base. Adding a resistor to the socket isn't going to change the setting. If they are using a micro surface mount 555 timer you could change it but only if you could get inside and change the resistor and the capacitor on the timer.

Maybe whatever component of the circuit that makes it either a slow or fast blinker could just be changed to use a lot more values in between those two, i.e. if it's just a resistor or capacitor that's determining it. Then just mix 'em up and sell them as 'more randomly timed blinkers'.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frenchmarky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-can-deal-with-a-pandemic-but-no-more-455-blinking-bulbs?tu=frenchmarky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.