(Topic ID: 242351)

I bought the worst retheme in history - what do I do now?

By SilverballSleuth

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What should I do?”

• Cut decal to reveal inserts. 11 votes
    23%
  • Retheme over the retheme. 10 votes
    21%
  • Covert back to Alien Star. 27 votes
    56%

(48 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0322 (resized).jpg
IMG_0323 (resized).jpg
A5D77845-27E8-4AE5-9FA0-134ADDDF1195 (resized).jpeg
A682CEB9-0851-40A0-97D3-F6FF0EFD74F3 (resized).jpeg
241F43C7-4C7D-4337-83BA-A27F88AE65F7 (resized).jpeg
807DA153-F233-4226-8169-22CDB7C8501F (resized).jpeg
A76656DC-19DE-45BF-924B-66AD69FF7181 (resized).jpeg
62EDF7A2-2054-421E-AE8F-D146151FBF4F (resized).jpeg
0A72E4DF-EB03-44ED-B206-8578E4DC6044 (resized).jpeg
popcorn1 (resized).jpg
3A7AA907-D5E5-41C0-8D28-889AE52A8F32 (resized).jpeg
kwb (resized).jpg
2E188D75-66DB-43DD-A0B2-AB35CD59778D (resized).jpeg
CE57735F-E494-4311-B242-347898511D66 (resized).jpeg
B490A41D-BA08-40EC-A728-63FE87114AB9 (resized).jpeg
CF67962F-49EE-45A7-8F6D-67176B7E7E4E (resized).jpeg
There are 179 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

Covered in French material. If this game could talk.

Yeah, but most of us wouldn't understand it - the game would probably only speak French.

#152 4 years ago

I would play it as a white wood and enjoy it.

#153 4 years ago

Now that its ruined (and still a Gottlieb SS) I could go 300. Always wanted to learn the Gottlieb System repair but need a junk machine.

#154 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Now that its ruined (and still a Gottlieb SS) I could go 300.
Always wanted to learn the Gottlieb System repair but need a junk
machine.

$300
-Mike

#155 4 years ago
Quoted from BowlingJim:

I would play it as a white wood and enjoy it.

That’s what’s gonna happen. It’ll be sanded to completion, stained cherry, cleared.

I’m gonna make an alternate translite and call it a day.

#156 4 years ago

I have a nice art file for the Alien Star backglass that could be used to remake a new one or a translite if you want it. Don’t worry, you’ll find a play field somewhere eventually and it will be whole again.

#157 4 years ago

That’s what’s gonna happen. It’ll be sanded to completion,
stained cherry, cleared.
I’m gonna make an alternate translite and call it a day.

i would just make sure how a cherry stain may react to a clear coat before doing that, just to be safe. not sure if there is any side affects (like using the wrong type of paint and then clearing) but may as well double check!

#158 4 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:i would just make sure how a cherry stain may react to a clear
coat before doing that, just to be safe. not sure if there is any
side affects (like using the wrong type of paint and then clearing)
but may as well double check!

Good thinking - will check into it.

#159 4 years ago

This bothers me so damn much. Who the hell would do this? One of the greatest art packages in the 80’s - and of course he didn’t sand it to completion - if you look closely in the outlanes where his decal didn’t line up, you can still see some of the art.
The playfield couldn’t have been that bad - the cabinet is gorgeous.
Should I be mad? No - I bought an Alien Star for $700.
Figuring out what to do with this is honestly getting stressful. I thought I was going to see worn/faded art, but some art.
To see bare wood is honestly a shock.
The person who did this did not deserve to have this game. I originally felt bad about tearing his decals off, as it is destroying art - but he destroyed art way worse than I did. WAY worse.

Don't be stressed...someone else made a permanent decision and now you get to make your own choice of what to do. I know myself and a lot of folks are itching to do re-themes but wouldn't be able to bring themselves to sand off original art. Play it and enjoy!

#160 4 years ago
Quoted from deluge:

Don't be stressed...someone else made a permanent decision and now you get to make your own choice of what to do. I know myself and a lot of folks are itching to do re-themes but wouldn't be able to bring themselves to sand off original art. Play it and enjoy!

I really appreciate the comment - it’s a game, it’s meant to be enjoyed, and enjoy it I will.

Thanks.

#161 4 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

You may want to keep an eye on the NWPAS thread for details of something to be unveiled there.

Check in on the details at the thread I created:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-duel-destroy-or-be-destroyed

#162 4 years ago

I saw the thread title and was like "I bet somebody bought that shitty alien star from the Lynchburg craigslist", lo and behold!

I was hoping it was all vinyl wrap or something that would all peel off if anyone bought it.

#163 4 years ago

I laughed in his face

Why would you do that?

Robert

#164 4 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Why would you do that?
Robert

It’s a figure of speech, if I was that much of a jerk I doubt he would have sold it to me regardless of price.

2 weeks later
#165 4 years ago

I'm the one that did the Re-theme. A Buddy of mine showed me this thread so I read through it. Watched alien star on craigslist around 2010 for a long time before picking it up out of an old dirty Garage and gave $120 for it .The playfield was horrible and every bit of ink had rolled off of the backglass. I picked it up thinking I could find a playfield and backglass which I tried desperately to locate with no luck. I'm a graphic designer so I have access to large format printers so I thought I'll just re-theme it. The Game never would work right for me so I decided to make it an art piece based on a comic I had drawn when i was younger. I sanded down the playfield and polyurethaned it because if I had applied the vinyl over the original it would have really looked like shit. Since it was just a light up art piece that would not be played most of the inserts were covered to fit the art I had from my book.After doing most of the re-theme I got lazy with the inserts and just covered them with my brick pattern from the comic. If there are any questions I'll be glad to Answer . I knew when making it not everybody would like it but i did it not thinking I would sell it. After a year I ran out of space and sold it to a guy that just wanted to sit it in his man cave and eventually Mike Tolley Bought it. Here are some pics so you guys can better understand why I did what i did.

IMG_0322 (resized).jpgIMG_0322 (resized).jpgIMG_0323 (resized).jpgIMG_0323 (resized).jpg
#166 4 years ago
Quoted from Trident:

I'm the one that did the Re-theme. A Buddy of mine showed me this thread so I read through it. Watched alien star on craigslist around 2010 for a long time before picking it up out of an old dirty Garage and gave $120 for it .The playfield was horrible and every bit of ink had rolled off of the backglass. I picked it up thinking I could find a playfield and backglass which I tried desperately to locate with no luck. I'm a graphic designer so I have access to large format printers so I thought I'll just re-theme it. The Game never would work right for me so I decided to make it an art piece based on a comic I had drawn when i was younger. I sanded down the playfield and polyurethaned it because if I had applied the vinyl over the original it would have really looked like shit. Since it was just a light up art piece that would not be played most of the inserts were covered to fit the art I had from my book.After doing most of the re-theme I got lazy with the inserts and just covered them with my brick pattern from the comic. If there are any questions I'll be glad to Answer . I knew when making it not everybody would like it but i did it not thinking I would sell it. After a year I ran out of space and sold it to a guy that just wanted to sit it in his man cave and eventually Mike Tolley Bought it. Here are some pics so you guys can better understand why I did what i did.[quoted image][quoted image]

And I bought it from Mike.

I absolutely see why you’d turn the game into an art installation, and for that purpose, it turned out fabulous.

#167 4 years ago

And I bought it from Mike.
I absolutely see why you’d turn the game into an art installation, and for that purpose, it turned out fabulous.

Oh and if your wondering who Sarah is on the inserts that’s wife’s name.

#168 4 years ago
Quoted from Trident:

I'm the one that did the Re-theme. A Buddy of mine showed me this thread so I read through it. Watched alien star on craigslist around 2010 for a long time before picking it up out of an old dirty Garage and gave $120 for it .The playfield was horrible and every bit of ink had rolled off of the backglass. I picked it up thinking I could find a playfield and backglass which I tried desperately to locate with no luck. I'm a graphic designer so I have access to large format printers so I thought I'll just re-theme it. The Game never would work right for me so I decided to make it an art piece based on a comic I had drawn when i was younger. I sanded down the playfield and polyurethaned it because if I had applied the vinyl over the original it would have really looked like shit. Since it was just a light up art piece that would not be played most of the inserts were covered to fit the art I had from my book.After doing most of the re-theme I got lazy with the inserts and just covered them with my brick pattern from the comic. If there are any questions I'll be glad to Answer . I knew when making it not everybody would like it but i did it not thinking I would sell it. After a year I ran out of space and sold it to a guy that just wanted to sit it in his man cave and eventually Mike Tolley Bought it. Here are some pics so you guys can better understand why I did what i did.[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for posting. In my opinion, your retheme got a fair bit of unnecessary hate here. I've seen a lot of worse / less effort taken rethemes than this. Maybe the theme isn't for everyone, but you put care into it and did a quality job. You should be proud of how it turned out, especially with the state it started in.

#169 4 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Maybe the theme isn't for everyone, but you put care into it and did a quality job. You should be proud of how it turned out, especially with the state it started in.

Absolutely!

#170 4 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Thanks for posting. In my opinion, your retheme got a fair bit of unnecessary hate here. I've seen a lot of worse / less effort taken rethemes than this. Maybe the theme isn't for everyone, but you put care into it and did a quality job. You should be proud of how it turned out, especially with the state it started in.

Thanks! If I had it to do over again I would do a lot of things differently. At the time not many people where retheming machines so I thought it was pretty good for that point in my career. Main thing I just wanted everyone to know I wouldn’t destroy machine just to retheme it if I could of found a playfield and backglass I would have restored it. At the time retheming was the only option I had.

#171 4 years ago

The person who did this did not deserve to have this game. I originally felt bad about tearing his decals off, as it is destroying art - but he destroyed art way worse than I did. WAY worse.

Just so pinside can see you talking out of both sides of your mouth.

#172 4 years ago
Quoted from the96stang:

I guess htere's a small % that didn't already know

#173 4 years ago
Quoted from the96stang:

He stated he made it as a lit art piece, and for that purpose, it was gorgeous.

As a playable pinball machine, with many important inserts covered, not so much.

The story makes sense, I understand, the artist understands it, we all understand it.

Think before you post, you’ll save effort.

#174 4 years ago

Think before you post

I do, and usually my friends and I get a good laugh. I find myself one of the funniest people in the world.

#175 4 years ago

What I'm seeing here is a decade of teamwork, salvaging a machine that in 2010 many people would have parted out.

So now that we all know the backstory, and what the condition of the machine both was, and is, can we get back to brainstorming ideas?

#176 4 years ago
Quoted from the96stang:

I find myself one of the funniest people in the world.

We all know about your ego, no need to remind us.

Quoted from HHaase:

What I'm seeing here is a decade of teamwork, salvaging a machine that in 2010 many people would have parted out.
So now that we all know the backstory, and what the condition of the machine both was, and is, can we get back to brainstorming ideas?

I second that! I like thinking of it as teamwork.

Right now, it sits as a “white wood,” cabinet fully revealed, and the Hunter in The Dark decal is still attached to the glass.

#177 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Another "look at me' post from the OP...talking out of both sides of his mouth...

Yes, I made the point awhile back....OP just likes to hear (read) himself talk...
He says what he thinks the people around him at the time want to hear, then will say something completely different when the audience has changed....
Now he thinks we should all welcome back Otaku with open arms....

#178 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Now he thinks we should all welcome back otaku with open arms....

#179 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Yes, I made the point awhile back....OP just likes to hear (read) himself talk...
He says what he thinks the people around him at the time want to hear, then will say something completely different when the audience has changed....
Now he thinks we should all welcome back otaku with open arms....

The story changed - the designer stated it was made as a lit art piece, instead of as a pinball machine. Two different things.

Not with open arms homie, I’m saying we should give the guy another chance.

Let’s keep these topics and threads separate.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Madison, WI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
There are 179 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-bought-the-worst-retheme-in-history-what-do-i-do-now-/page/4?hl=mistermoberg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.