(Topic ID: 242351)

I bought the worst retheme in history - what do I do now?

By SilverballSleuth

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What should I do?”

• Cut decal to reveal inserts. 11 votes
    23%
  • Retheme over the retheme. 10 votes
    21%
  • Covert back to Alien Star. 27 votes
    56%

(48 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0322 (resized).jpg
IMG_0323 (resized).jpg
A5D77845-27E8-4AE5-9FA0-134ADDDF1195 (resized).jpeg
A682CEB9-0851-40A0-97D3-F6FF0EFD74F3 (resized).jpeg
241F43C7-4C7D-4337-83BA-A27F88AE65F7 (resized).jpeg
807DA153-F233-4226-8169-22CDB7C8501F (resized).jpeg
A76656DC-19DE-45BF-924B-66AD69FF7181 (resized).jpeg
62EDF7A2-2054-421E-AE8F-D146151FBF4F (resized).jpeg
0A72E4DF-EB03-44ED-B206-8578E4DC6044 (resized).jpeg
popcorn1 (resized).jpg
3A7AA907-D5E5-41C0-8D28-889AE52A8F32 (resized).jpeg
kwb (resized).jpg
2E188D75-66DB-43DD-A0B2-AB35CD59778D (resized).jpeg
CE57735F-E494-4311-B242-347898511D66 (resized).jpeg
B490A41D-BA08-40EC-A728-63FE87114AB9 (resized).jpeg
CF67962F-49EE-45A7-8F6D-67176B7E7E4E (resized).jpeg
There are 179 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 4 years ago

That thing was posted on Craigslist and Facebook FOR.EVER. Thank you for taking it off the market!

#102 4 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

That thing was posted on Craigslist and Facebook FOR.EVER. Thank you for taking it off the market!

You’re welcome! Instead of troubleshooting the board issues I’m gonna put a Pascal All in One in it. This thing is a keeper - it’ll be the game I bring to shows probably.

#103 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

You were kind of a jerk at Pintastic so this is to be expected.

What are you talking about? I have never once met you in person, at Pintastic or otherwise. I just occasionally reply to your nonsensical, self-promoting and sometimes ignorant posts on here.

I’m not bashing the creator, I’ve stated countless times, that the work itself isn’t half bad,

That's "toteally" funny!!!!! Do you read your own posts?

who’s name I won’t make public because I’m ridiculing his decals

Why does everyone want to buy this monstrosity?

The fact that this machine is notorious for its awfulness

The fact that it stopped working only adds to awfulness - and is truly fitting to MöbeCade and is ironically hilarious.

Get your head in the game man.

I don't know what the hell that last one even means.

Either way, I'm good with your baiting and trolling. You can move on to the next chump. Sad that a game like this fell into your hands.

#104 4 years ago

I vote you retheme it to "This Old House" . You enjoy complaining about your new house as much as you enjoy complaining about your new game.

Also, the pile of junk you must have pulled out of your car after Allentown must have been comical. You sure your floor can hold all that weight?!?!?

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

What are you talking about? I have never once met you in person, at Pintastic or otherwise. I just occasionally reply to your nonsensical, self-promoting and sometimes ignorant posts on here.

We spoke briefly at Pintastic and you were a touch on the condescending side for a guy trying to sell something.

That's "toteally" funny!!!!! Do you read your own posts?

I don't know what the hell that last one even means.
Either way, I'm good with your baiting and trolling. You can move on to the next chump. Sad that a game like this fell into your hands.

I’m certainly not baiting you - don’t like the thread - get out of it.

I’m done “tip-toteing” around certain members of the community.

Don’t like what I have to say? Don’t listen.

I have enough friends in pinball, don’t need people who would weigh me down.

Quoted from the96stang:

I vote you retheme it to "This Old House" . You enjoy complaining about your new house as much as you enjoy complaining about your new game.
Also, the pile of junk you must have pulled out of your car after Allentown must have been comical. You sure your floor can hold all that weight?!?!?

I’m not dealing with you today, better things to do.

#106 4 years ago

Don’t like what I have to say? Don’t listen.

I don’t think many people do. I will join them.

I have enough friends in pinball,

Seems like it Mister55.7

3A7AA907-D5E5-41C0-8D28-889AE52A8F32 (resized).jpeg3A7AA907-D5E5-41C0-8D28-889AE52A8F32 (resized).jpeg

#107 4 years ago

I’m not dealing with you today, better things to do.

I'm sure whatever it is it'll be a good laugh, though it may be tough to top this past weekend!

popcorn1 (resized).jpgpopcorn1 (resized).jpg
#108 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I played it for the first time on Friday, Alien Star is a fast playing game.
If you are going to re-theme a game there needs to have a certain level of quality in my opinion that exceeds the original base unit. Which is a fairly high bar in some cases, not a knock to the original owner but its not here. Wonder Woman at the Allentown show is a decent example of a modest re-theme done well aside from the vinyl trim on the head.

I agree with what you said... But, I also think the retheme needs to also fit. Just having a picture and it look nice or great doesn't mean anything. Does it fit the layout. Because, much as I love quality artwork on the playfield. To me, its more important that the playfield art serve a function. Again, I love great art, but that is what a backglass is for.
I want to know what to shot for, and what my bonus is, and all that stuff, and they covered up all the lights on the playfield with their art.

Like, I love the art for joker poker. Great backglass. But, the playfield art isn't sexy, but it fits the game. No frills, nothing fancy, but it keeps the theme and it has all the info that you need... I do think if I owned a joker poker, I would make new slingshot plastics for it. I'd put the ladies on the slings to sex up the playfield, but again... To me, the rest of it while maybe not exciting works and fits the table.

So I think rethemes are complicated and tricky.
But, back to this machine. Its shame. Because, I do think Alien Stars original art package to be better.
But, the owner got a very nice deal.

I myself thought really do like single level pins. As I love Breakshot, and I do enjoy TNA when I get to play it... And I like EM's as well.

This machine is now added to my wishlist. As it looks good to playing pin... I do think the price is too steep though. But, I assume thats because its rare.

#109 4 years ago

This dude is Kaneda lite. Look at me, Look at me!!!

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

I agree with what you said... But, I also think the retheme needs to also fit. Just having a picture and it look nice or great doesn't mean anything. Does it fit the layout. Because, much as I love quality artwork on the playfield. To me, its more important that the playfield art serve a function. Again, I love great art, but that is what a backglass is for.
I want to know what to shot for, and what my bonus is, and all that stuff, and they covered up all the lights on the playfield with their art.
Like, I love the art for joker poker. Great backglass. But, the playfield art isn't sexy, but it fits the game. No frills, nothing fancy, but it keeps the theme and it has all the info that you need... I do think if I owned a joker poker, I would make new slingshot plastics for it. I'd put the ladies on the slings to sex up the playfield, but again... To me, the rest of it while maybe not exciting works and fits the table.
So I think rethemes are complicated and tricky.
But, back to this machine. Its shame. Because, I do think Alien Stars original art package to be better.
But, the owner got a very nice deal.
I myself thought really do like single level pins. As I love Breakshot, and I do enjoy TNA when I get to play it... And I like EM's as well.
This machine is now added to my wishlist. As it looks good to playing pin... I do think the price is too steep though. But, I assume thats because its rare.

I really appreciate the input and agree with you.

#111 4 years ago

Worst retheme ever ? Hah , not even close . Have you heard there is a Bob Jovi pin out there somewhere?

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Worst retheme ever ? Hah , not even close . Have you heard there is a Bob Jovi pin out there somewhere?

Or even worse a Van Halen Pin with Gary Cherone as the lead singer.

#113 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I love alienstar. I already own alienstar.
I have wanted to mirror image a game and have them side by side. Given the condition of this particular example, it would be perfect to fully get to work inverting. If I screw something up then it still can't get worse than it is.
Longer term, i would use Proc to make it into a linked two player game, where you play at the same time and fight against each other.

You may want to keep an eye on the NWPAS thread for details of something to be unveiled there.

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

You may want to keep an eye on the NWPAS thread for details of something to be unveiled there.

link?

#115 4 years ago

Is there a poll option for I don't GAF?

#116 4 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I’m intrigued.

#117 4 years ago

This thread.....

0A72E4DF-EB03-44ED-B206-8578E4DC6044 (resized).jpeg0A72E4DF-EB03-44ED-B206-8578E4DC6044 (resized).jpeg
#118 4 years ago
Quoted from riggy469:

This thread.....
[quoted image]

Belchertown! Come over and say hi - you can play Fugly Alien Star.

#119 4 years ago

Hold your breath everyone and check back periodically, I’m slowly beginning peeling this stuff off.

Anyone have a Hi-Res scan of the Alien Star Backglass?

62EDF7A2-2054-421E-AE8F-D146151FBF4F (resized).jpeg62EDF7A2-2054-421E-AE8F-D146151FBF4F (resized).jpeg
#120 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I saw a black hole mod a few years ago where the playfield was replaced with a one-way mirror so that nothing but lit inserts could be seen. I thought that was an interesting effect.

This is quite impressive.

#121 4 years ago

There's a video of that BH in action somewhere on this site.

#122 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I saw a black hole mod a few years ago where the playfield was replaced with a one-way mirror so that nothing but lit inserts could be seen. I thought that was an interesting effect.

If I had more info on this - I would do this, no questions asked.

#123 4 years ago

I remember a couple of old threads about it--there may be more details in those.

Searching for the video ID brings up this:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/search?s=1&q=etjzCDI3R2s&include_basement=0#results

#124 4 years ago

I just like knowing what’s there. The risk/reward ratio for a potential hard slap save. ABC - Always Be Consideringtheriskrewardratio
There’s one at a location in MA - I love the game. That’s why I bought it, even though it looks like a poster for a furry festival.

Did you play this at Mystic Pinball? We've had one on location for quite some time and its a favorite competition/league game!

#125 4 years ago
Quoted from deluge:

Did you play this at Mystic Pinball? We've had one on location for quite some time and its a favorite competition/league game!

Yes! Where I fell in love with the game - Mystic is my favorite location in MA. I have their shirt in pretty much every color.

I attached a photo - not only are there decals on the top of these plastics but blackout film underneath.

A76656DC-19DE-45BF-924B-66AD69FF7181 (resized).jpegA76656DC-19DE-45BF-924B-66AD69FF7181 (resized).jpeg
#126 4 years ago

The plastics have been set free! They aren’t perfect, one needs to be flattened, but they’re pretty darn good.

807DA153-F233-4226-8169-22CDB7C8501F (resized).jpeg807DA153-F233-4226-8169-22CDB7C8501F (resized).jpeg
#127 4 years ago

The plastics have been set free! They aren’t perfect, one needs to be flattened, but they’re pretty darn good.
[quoted image]

Nice work! Is the playfield art an overlay or was it painted? Maybe that can be salvaged as well? Did the seller hang onto the original backglass?

#128 4 years ago

Those look nice! I think after discovering that I'd be super tempted to peel the PF and see what was under there... Even if you lost a little paint I think a somewhat beat up Alien Star is still better than what it got transformed into. Also like the pseudo-whitewood idea someone posted upthread.

#129 4 years ago
Quoted from stumptown:Those look nice! I think after discovering that I'd be super tempted to peel the PF and see what was under there... Even if you lost a little paint I think a somewhat beat up Alien Star is still better than what it got transformed into. Also like the pseudo-whitewood idea someone posted upthread.

I agree - but if the cabinet is anything like the playfield, I just bought a beautiful Alien Star for wicked cheap.

Quoted from MikeS:

Nice work! Is the playfield art an overlay or was it painted? Maybe that can be salvaged as well? Did the seller hang onto the original backglass?

Playfield is an overlay, I’m gonna peel it up.

My thumbs are a little burned after using my heat gun like this, but it’s paying off.

241F43C7-4C7D-4337-83BA-A27F88AE65F7 (resized).jpeg241F43C7-4C7D-4337-83BA-A27F88AE65F7 (resized).jpeg
#130 4 years ago

Yes! Where I fell in love with the game - Mystic is my favorite location in MA. I have their shirt in pretty much every color.
I attached a photo - not only are there decals on the top of these plastics but blackout film underneath.
[quoted image]

Glad we inspired you to get one for your own! Keep peelin'!

#131 4 years ago
Quoted from deluge:

Glad we inspired you to get one for your own! Keep peelin'!

I kept peeling - someone recommended making it look like a white wood...I’m starting to like that idea.

A682CEB9-0851-40A0-97D3-F6FF0EFD74F3 (resized).jpegA682CEB9-0851-40A0-97D3-F6FF0EFD74F3 (resized).jpeg
#132 4 years ago

I am still interested...

#133 4 years ago

A5D77845-27E8-4AE5-9FA0-134ADDDF1195 (resized).jpegA5D77845-27E8-4AE5-9FA0-134ADDDF1195 (resized).jpeg
#134 4 years ago

Oh well- now you get to try your hand at a re-theme.

Or display some kick ass art skills.

Good luck!

#135 4 years ago

Here is the thread with the mod... The video is a few posts down that show how the playfield looks. Pretty freaking amazing.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-visual-mod-suggestions-needed

EDIT: Doh.. Just looked back in the thread and saw that it was already posted.

#137 4 years ago

Ouch...At least he didn't sand down the cabinet.

#138 4 years ago

This bothers me so damn much. Who the hell would do this? One of the greatest art packages in the 80’s - and of course he didn’t sand it to completion - if you look closely in the outlanes where his decal didn’t line up, you can still see some of the art.

The playfield couldn’t have been that bad - the cabinet is gorgeous.

Should I be mad? No - I bought an Alien Star for $700.

Figuring out what to do with this is honestly getting stressful. I thought I was going to see worn/faded art, but some art.

To see bare wood is honestly a shock.

The person who did this did not deserve to have this game. I originally felt bad about tearing his decals off, as it is destroying art - but he destroyed art way worse than I did. WAY worse.

#139 4 years ago

I'd love to have something like that. I have been looking for a re theme donor. No guilt with that machine.

#140 4 years ago

This bothers me so damn much. Who the hell would do this? One of the greatest art packages in the 80’s - and of course he didn’t sand it to completion - if you look closely in the outlanes where his decal didn’t line up, you can still see some of the art.
The playfield couldn’t have been that bad - the cabinet is gorgeous.
Should I be mad? No - I bought an Alien Star for $700.
Figuring out what to do with this is honestly getting stressful. I thought I was going to see worn/faded art, but some art.
The person who did this did not deserve to have this game. I originally felt bad about tearing his decals off, as it is destroying art - but he destroyed art way worse than I did. WAY worse.

I'd buy it if you want to sell it. I really want to do a couple period correct re themes. I'd turn this one into Death Wish 3.

#141 4 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

I'd buy it if you want to sell it. I really want to do a couple period correct re themes. I'd turn this one into Death Wish 3.

It deserves to be Alien Star again, ya know?

I’ve never had more spontaneous offers on anything I’ve owned before, it’s at nearly 20 different offers, ranging from trades to cash to a little of both.

#142 4 years ago

It deserves to be Alien Star again, ya know?
I’ve never had more spontaneous offers on anything I’ve owned before, it’s at nearly 20 different offers, ranging from trades to cash to a little of both.

Hopefully Mirco releases a playfield. Oh and count me in as a full cash offer haha.

#143 4 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Hopefully Mirco releases a playfield. Oh and count me in as a full cash offer haha.

DM an offer if you’d like.

That applies to everyone, send the dollar amount my way. Not too many definitive numbers in my inbox.

Or machines, I can add cash if needed.

#144 4 years ago

#146 4 years ago

$750..$701 for the game - $45 to pay for your labor in tearing down the playfield and cab art. $4 extra for all your troubles trying to decide what you’re going to do with the game.

#147 4 years ago

Most of the time, people sand off the playfield in prep for doing an overlay so that it's nice and smooth.

#148 4 years ago

Ouch. I was getting excited and feeling pretty good about the way that cabinet revealed itself and was optimistic about the play field also appearing but that all just went to hell. Sorry for your loss... But it's still Alien Star, the cabinet art is there at least, and as a consolation prize you can now experience what the whitewood for Alien Star was like. Not too many people can make that claim. At least there is talk about play fields possibly on the horizon.

#149 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Most of the time, people sand off the playfield in prep for doing an overlay so that it's nice and smooth.

I know it - just seeing a perfect cabinet underneath got my hopes up big time.

Quoted from sevenrites:

Ouch. I was getting excited and feeling pretty good about the way that cabinet revealed itself and was optimistic about the play field also appearing but that all just went to hell. Sorry for your loss... But it's still Alien Star, the cabinet art is there at least, and as a consolation prize you can now experience what the whitewood for Alien Star was like. Not too many people can make that claim. At least there is talk about play fields possibly on the horizon.

That’s true. I truly spent most of the time since yesterday afternoon, thinking about this situation.

That’s a really nice perspective - what a rare opportunity to play the game as a white wood.

Also - not sure if I mentioned this everyone, this game was made exclusively for export! Covered in French material. If this game could talk.

#150 4 years ago

That applies to everyone, send the dollar amount my way. Not too many definitive numbers in my inbox.

My .02 - look around for a good playfield to swap in, you have everything you need to do it.
Now sell the whitewood to someone to re-theme.
You could even be a good guy and take lots of pics during said swap so someone could see wire routing and build a playfield harness.
-Mike

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Madison, WI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 179 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-bought-the-worst-retheme-in-history-what-do-i-do-now-/page/3?hl=chrispoint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.