(Topic ID: 242351)

I bought the worst retheme in history - what do I do now?

By SilverballSleuth

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What should I do?”

• Cut decal to reveal inserts. 11 votes
    23%
  • Retheme over the retheme. 10 votes
    21%
  • Covert back to Alien Star. 27 votes
    56%

(48 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0322 (resized).jpg
IMG_0323 (resized).jpg
A5D77845-27E8-4AE5-9FA0-134ADDDF1195 (resized).jpeg
A682CEB9-0851-40A0-97D3-F6FF0EFD74F3 (resized).jpeg
241F43C7-4C7D-4337-83BA-A27F88AE65F7 (resized).jpeg
807DA153-F233-4226-8169-22CDB7C8501F (resized).jpeg
A76656DC-19DE-45BF-924B-66AD69FF7181 (resized).jpeg
62EDF7A2-2054-421E-AE8F-D146151FBF4F (resized).jpeg
0A72E4DF-EB03-44ED-B206-8578E4DC6044 (resized).jpeg
popcorn1 (resized).jpg
3A7AA907-D5E5-41C0-8D28-889AE52A8F32 (resized).jpeg
kwb (resized).jpg
2E188D75-66DB-43DD-A0B2-AB35CD59778D (resized).jpeg
CE57735F-E494-4311-B242-347898511D66 (resized).jpeg
B490A41D-BA08-40EC-A728-63FE87114AB9 (resized).jpeg
CF67962F-49EE-45A7-8F6D-67176B7E7E4E (resized).jpeg
There are 179 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 4 years ago

If you decide not to keep it, bring it to the York show and I’ll buy it from you

#52 4 years ago

No longer relevant - the game stopped working, can’t even flip it.

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

Let me set the scene. Pinfest 2019. Friday 8.55 PM. Only a few games grabbed my interest for purchase. WoF is $4K. Breakshot is too beat up. Dolphin EM is not for sale.
I settled on this thing. (See photos.)
I ended up cutting a really good deal and will reveal the number so that the best advice can be given - $700.
It’s a fully working Alien Star...with decals...and custom art...and a custom theme.
Now, these decals in and of them self are actually pretty high quality. The guy who sold it to me said that the person who did it - did it about 10 years ago.
However, this custom art covers all the bonus inserts and what the top inserts do, a *major* problem in my eyes.
What should I do? I put bright LEDs in the backbox and in the inserts and they barely come through.
Try and cut the decals to reveal the inserts and put stickers on them to show the value?
Retheme over the retheme?
Try and convert back to Alien Star?
Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Ahaha oh my god this is the guy who rethemed the game to his own really shitty webcomic!!!
It was posted on pinball horror pics a while back. He was asking thousands for it!

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Ahaha oh my god this is the guy who rethemed the game to his own really shitty webcomic!!!
It was posted on pinball horror pics a while back. He was asking thousands for it!

It’s now at MöbeCade, unplugged because System 80 is System 80, and sh!t is sh!t.

#55 4 years ago

It’s now at MöbeCade, unplugged because System 80 is System 80, and sh!t is sh!t.

Bring it to pinburgh and i will buy it. I have the perfect plan for something like this!

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Bring it to pinburgh and i will buy it. I have the perfect plan for something like this!

Why does everyone want to buy this monstrosity? Between in this thread and in my DMs - you are 9th in line. No joke.

What is the plan out of curiosity?

#57 4 years ago

Why does everyone want to buy this monstrosity? Between in this thread and in my DMs - you are 9th in line. No joke.
What is the plan out of curiosity?

I love alienstar. I already own alienstar.

I have wanted to mirror image a game and have them side by side. Given the condition of this particular example, it would be perfect to fully get to work inverting. If I screw something up then it still can't get worse than it is.

Longer term, i would use Proc to make it into a linked two player game, where you play at the same time and fight against each other.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I love alienstar. I already own alienstar.
I have wanted to mirror image a game and have them side by side. Given the condition of this particular example, it would be perfect to fully get to work inverting. If I screw something up then it still can't get worse than it is.
Longer term, i would use Proc to make it into a linked two player game, where you play at the same time and fight against each other.

That’s incredibly dope - you’re now first in line.

#59 4 years ago

That’s incredibly dope - you’re now first in line.

cheers and sweet!

If you decide to sell, shoot me a PM.

For the time being, I hope it ends up being a simple fix and you can get some enjoyment out of it.

However, I am fine with it working or not.

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

cheers and sweet!
If you decide to sell, shoot me a PM.
For the time being, I hope it ends up being a simple fix and you can get some enjoyment out of it.
However, I am fine with it working or not.

I’m not gonna tinker with it tonight, might just have to disconnect the reset board.

I’ve looked at this thing enough for one day.

#61 4 years ago

Webcomic..band.. same difference I knew it was something like that

#62 4 years ago

When I saw the title for the thread, the first theme that popped in my head was that re-themed alien star game that first appeared in that craigslist laughs thread. Click... yup there it is.

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

When I saw the title for the thread, the first theme that popped in my head was that re-themed alien star game that first appeared in that craigslist laughs thread. Click... yup there it is.

The fact that this machine is notorious for its awfulness only makes me like it more - I’m keeping it, possibly exactly how it is.

The fact that it stopped working only adds to awfulness - and is truly fitting to MöbeCade and is ironically hilarious.

Should I make a fan club thread for this retheme?

#64 4 years ago

The fact that this machine is notorious for its awfulness only makes me like it more - I’m keeping it, possibly exactly how it is.
The fact that it stopped working only adds to awfulness - and is truly fitting to MöbeCade and is ironically hilarious.
Should I make a fan club thread for this retheme?

Why would you buy a game only to ridicule the guy who put hard work into it?

This thread is like school in the summertime, it's got no class

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Again, it’s actually very well done, just no thought went into the structure of the game and the inserts.

I had never seen it before, and I’m getting more private messages about this game than the rest of all my time on pinside combined; how long it’s been for sale, info about the web comic, how many people want to buy it - I’m shocked.

#66 4 years ago

even though it looks like a poster for a furry festival.

perhaps you should sell it at a furry festival then? There are plenty of them around, and furries have waaaaay more money to burn than the typical Pinhead! (Suits start at 5k and range up to 20k)

#67 4 years ago

He did put hard work into it, but let’s be real. It’s a little faux-pas to theme something, especially a pinball machine, to promote your own personal comic that doesn’t have a large fan-following.

If say, Chum-Lee bought a pinball machine and themed it into Pawn Stars this would be a completely different conversation.

Side note: I expected something like my Checkpoint that was rethemed by property company THP. It was their own weird office retheme, they changed all the droptargets and spinner to their own faces... and they replaced the Porsche’s with PT Cruisers with the company logo... I kept it all while converting it back because it’s so awful.

#68 4 years ago

perhaps you should sell it at a furry festival then? There are plenty of them around, and furries have waaaaay more money to burn than the typical Pinhead! (Suits start at 5k and range up to 20k)

Holy crap - this could be the best purchase of my life.

#69 4 years ago

He did put hard work into it, but let’s be real. It’s a little faux-pas to theme something, especially a pinball machine, to promote your own personal comic that doesn’t have a large fan-following.
If say, Chum-Lee bought a pinball machine and themed it into Pawn Stars this would be a completely different conversation.
Side note: I expected something like my Checkpoint that was rethemed by property company THP. It was their own weird office retheme, they changed all the droptargets and spinner to their own faces... and they replaced the Porsche’s with PT Cruisers with the company logo... I kept it all while converting it back because it’s so awful.

I weirdly bought a retheme playfield for a Checkpoint that was made for Avis.

Will be used as a wall hanger. Funny - this retheme I would have kept, they left holes for all the inserts.

The rethemes really found me at Pinfest this year.

2E188D75-66DB-43DD-A0B2-AB35CD59778D (resized).jpeg2E188D75-66DB-43DD-A0B2-AB35CD59778D (resized).jpeg
#70 4 years ago

I saw this game sitting on CL for quite a while. If I could’ve grabbed it for $700, I would have, and I would keep it as is.

If Hilton’s at the top of your list, it shouldn’t be hard to beat him out. Sell it as is...don’t rip it apart. You risk there being a crappy condition PF underneath. Then you have no good game, and in the process ruined a game that somebody spent a lot of time making.

I’ll pick it up when I’m up your way in two weeks.

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I saw this game sitting on CL for quite a while. If I could’ve grabbed it for $700, I would have, and I would keep it as is.
If Hilton’s at the top of your list, it shouldn’t be hard to beat him out. Sell it as is...don’t rip it apart. You risk there being a crappy condition PF underneath. Then you have no good game, and in the process ruined a game that somebody spent a lot of time making.
I’ll pick it up when I’m up your way in two weeks.

If ya still have that Kings of Steel from Pintastic last year - ya just might be picking it up.

#72 4 years ago

This has to be the most narcissistic thread in awhile...

#73 4 years ago

At first blush it seems alright... Until I noticed the bonus inserts being covered. And while the original art package for Alien Star is not the best, it certainly had a unique and Predator type vibe that I thought was mostly cool. Not great, but good... So I think the original art package is a bit better.
But, 700 dollars for a working and good condition pinball... That's a good deal.
Also, I just watched a video on Alien Star... Seems to be a fun shooting pin too. Nice layout, and alright rule set.
I'd just play the heck out of it. And when you get bored with it. Try to flip it...
You might even be able to make a small profit on it... Or at least your money back. 700 dollars for most people is a good deal for a pinball machine.

#74 4 years ago

I weirdly bought a retheme playfield for a Checkpoint that was made for Avis.
Will be used as a wall hanger. Funny - this retheme I would have kept, they left holes for all the inserts.
The rethemes really found me at Pinfest this year.
[quoted image]

The Avis one is cool, I’ve seen it on an old thread for Checkpoint. They made like 50 or so I believe? Proof Stern has been taking contracts forever

#75 4 years ago

leave it be. sell and buy the original game if ya want one.

#76 4 years ago

Maybe he did it to promote the comic?
I could see somebody setting up at a comic, horror or sci-fi show selling their product and have something like this set up as a promotional tool.
It would certainly get people to stop at your booth.

#77 4 years ago

If ya still have that Kings of Steel from Pintastic last year - ya just might be picking it up.

That’s long gone, but I’m sure I can find you another one.

#78 4 years ago

Convert it to a Thunderbirds so it is no longer the worst.

#79 4 years ago

Ouch that stings. Alien Star rules.

#80 4 years ago

agreed! this thread is amateur and the OP is like a child who just found his dad’s gun in the nightstand and is showing it off to all of his friends, cuz it all-of-a-sudden makes him popular. haven’t you ever seen “can’t buy me love”?!?

you didn’t even check to see if the seller might be on pinside before giving him a public roasting? shame on you! pffttt..

#81 4 years ago

I feel bad because I'm the one who originally posted this in the Craigslist Laughs thread (based mainly on the price, the retheme is well done for what it is). But I have to say, the guy clearly did something right, because after seeing this machine on Craigslist and the FB Marketplace for the better part of a year, I find myself weirdly invested in its future! Best of luck, I think you got a good deal.

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Also, I just watched a video on Alien Star... Seems to be a fun shooting pin too. Nice layout, and alright rule set.

I played it for the first time on Friday, Alien Star is a fast playing game.

If you are going to re-theme a game there needs to have a certain level of quality in my opinion that exceeds the original base unit. Which is a fairly high bar in some cases, not a knock to the original owner but its not here. Wonder Woman at the Allentown show is a decent example of a modest re-theme done well aside from the vinyl trim on the head.

#83 4 years ago

Or re retheme it to play backwards.

#84 4 years ago

hardly the worst retheme in history. You had me expecting Kardashian’s Pinball or something.

#85 4 years ago

Man I almost bought this thing when it was on craigslist at one point, I liked it.

#86 4 years ago

Again, it’s actually very well done, just no thought went into the structure of the game and the inserts.

Huh. Not that I need to...

Why does everyone want to buy this monstrosity?

I’m ridiculing his decals

The guy, very nice, soft spoken guy, but he had $1375 as the asking price. I laughed in his face.

The fact that it stopped working only adds to awfulness

Not to mention the f'n' title of this thread is "I Bought The Worst Retheme In History"

#87 4 years ago

Huh. Not that I need to...

Not to mention the f'n' title of this thread is "I Bought The Worst Retheme In History"

Herbert. Buddy. It’s all in fun.

The reason why I posted the thread is because I’m torn - it’s hard to decide whether I should keep this the way it is or not because if the quality that went into this. Genuinely want advice and ideas.

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from BRW84:

I feel bad, because I'm the one who originally posted this in the Craigslist Laughs thread (based mainly on the price, the retheme is well done for what it is). But I have to say, the guy clearly did something right, because after seeing this machine on Craigslist and the FB Marketplace for the better part of a year, I find myself weirdly invested in its future! Best of luck, I think you got a good deal.

Thanks man, all joking aside, I feel the same.

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

agreed! this thread is amateur and the OP is like a child who just found his dad’s gun in the nightstand and is showing it off to all of his friends, cuz it all-of-a-sudden makes him popular. haven’t you ever seen “can’t buy me love”?!?
you didn’t even check to see if the seller might be on pinside before giving him a public roasting? shame on you! pffttt..

I also just found out he’s on pinside. He might see this at some point.
Sir, if you do this, don’t take this personally. The art, by itself, is actually pretty good, and the quality of the decals is impressive.
In my opinion, they just don’t belong on the game in this way. That’s all.

This isn’t popularity, it’s about an interesting purchase that a lot of people have seen before and I’m looking for pro tips here.

I don’t want to offend the guy - the best graffiti in the world is considered to be fine art, but it’s still graffiti. Same goes for when you cover inserts on a retheme.

I’ll stop making fun of the thing - but this is an important conversation with difference of opinion and I like hearing from both sides here.

#90 4 years ago

Another "look at me' post from the OP...talking out of both sides of his mouth...

#91 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Another "look at me' post from the OP...talking out of both sides of his mouth...

If I wanted to make posts/threads about me, I could. I don’t. I want advice about a machine I bought.

#92 4 years ago

I saw this pin for sale a while ago... I didn't think it looked too bad...

#93 4 years ago

option 4 sell it to someone else who will love it

#94 4 years ago

i'd keep it as is and play it. I don't think it looks that bad and the gameplay and sounds are the same as Alien Star which is a positive. maybe someday I'd consider re-theming to something of my choice (Matrix?) but for now just have fun playing it!

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

i'd keep it as is and play it. I don't think it looks that bad and the gameplay and sounds are the same as Alien Star which is a positive. maybe someday I'd consider re-theming to something of my choice (Matrix?) but for now just have fun playing it!

The Johnny Mnemonic Matrix conversion is one of the best I’ve ever seen. Sad they only made 10. The rest have to be home-made but I think you can get a copy of the ROMs

#96 4 years ago

Get out the belt sander and be happy you only paid $700 for it.

kwb (resized).jpgkwb (resized).jpg
#97 4 years ago

If I wanted to make posts/threads about me, I could. I don’t. I want advice about a machine I bought.

Well, there’s been plenty of advice at this point. And the bashing now that I go back and read is just simply inappropriate.

You ever retheme a game? Even with decals, it’s a substantial amount of work to make it look good (as this one does minus a few missed inserts). So the douchey comments bashing and ridiculing the game, especially when the creator is a member, are uncalled for. If it’s so horrible why the hell did you buy it?

Either sell it to me or someone else, and end this thread. Or at least change the damn title.

#98 4 years ago

Why the hate on the OP? This machine has been advertised HEAVILY on facebook, craigslist, ebay etc for well over a year. This is a game that literally every prospective pinball purchaser in a 400 mile radius has seen and passed on. I am surprised at the amount of people making offers on it now! I can't wait to see what the OP does with it.

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Well, there’s been plenty of advice at this point. And the bashing now that I go back and read is just simply inappropriate.
You ever retheme a game? Even with decals, it’s a substantial amount of work to make it look good (as this one does minus a few missed inserts). So the douchey comments bashing and ridiculing the game, especially when the creator is a member, are uncalled for. If it’s so horrible why the hell did you buy it?
Either sell it to me or someone else, and end this thread. Or at least change the damn title.

You were kind of a jerk at Pintastic so this is to be expected.

I bought it because it’s Alien Star with Ruby Red legs for $700. It’s a no brainer.

I wouldn’t attempt a retheme. I’m not an artist or a graphic designer or a decal printer.

A few missed inserts, eh? Try nearly 20.

I’m not bashing the creator, I’ve stated countless times, that the work itself isn’t half bad, and it’s painfully well made minus oversights.

Get your head in the game man.

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from LargemouthAss:

Why the hate on the OP? This machine has been advertised HEAVILY on facebook, craigslist, ebay etc for well over a year. This is a game that literally every prospective pinball purchaser in a 400 mile radius has seen and passed on. I am surprised at the amount of people making offers on it now! I can't wait to see what the OP does with it.

I'm sure the price has something to do with the number of people making offers. It sounds like when it was previously advertised the original seller was asking $1375 (or more) which would explain why it sat for so long. A fun, working solid state game for $700 is a good deal in today's market.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bay Area, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 179 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-bought-the-worst-retheme-in-history-what-do-i-do-now-/page/2?hl=alexmogil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.