20220428_094750 (resized).jpg
20220315_152512 (resized).jpg
20220221_144245 (resized).jpg
20220221_145236 (resized).jpg
20220302_102558 (resized).jpg
20220302_105641 (resized).jpg
3BE58854-E7AB-44D7-9FB3-C463CF37AB3A (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20211202-160743_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

Here is mine. It's a beach cruiser. Not as cool as those Harley's, but it's fast and goes 100 miles per charge.[quoted image]

If you guys want some classy fenders for your beach cruisers, my brother makes amazing stuff... see his website - "Woody's fenders"
https://www.woodysfenders.com/

#52 3 years ago

The nice part about bike vs pinball prices, (unless you’re the type that always wants the “new and shiny”), is they do depreciate pretty fast. You can find a real nice bike for a fraction of the original price if you’re willing to go a few years old. And there are always lots for sale to choose from. I’m into this bike for under $2000 cdn. To me being 5 years old is worth the $8000 savings.

56AE2517-419E-4061-B579-9F82EB8A16C8 (resized).jpeg56AE2517-419E-4061-B579-9F82EB8A16C8 (resized).jpeg
#53 3 years ago
Quoted from TheShaft:

You can find a real nice bike for a fraction of the original price if you’re willing to go a few years old.

Some Novus 2 and you can pass it off as neighborhood use only.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from TheShaft:

The nice part about bike vs pinball prices, (unless you’re the type that always wants the “new and shiny”), is they do depreciate pretty fast. You can find a real nice bike for a fraction of the original price if you’re willing to go a few years old. And there are always lots for sale to choose from. I’m into this bike for under $2000 cdn. To me being 5 years old is worth the $8000 savings.
[quoted image]

pics of shooter lane please.....

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

pics of shooter lane please.....

Haha, I guess the cranks would be the equivalent? There’s some wear showing there, maybe should put some mylar on them to slow it down.

#56 3 years ago

test. Sorry, I'm having Issues with Pinside/computer and decided to test in this thread. Carry on.

#57 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

test. Sorry, I'm having Issues with Pinside/computer and decided to test in this thread. Carry on.

Hello friend!

#58 3 years ago

Muchas gracias mi amigo. Pinside está trabajando para mí una vez más.

#59 3 years ago

Like JamesMC a few posts up, I also own (and LOVE) my Cheetah. This is my 3rd E-Bike and it is without question the best! Each & every time I take it out, there will be someone asking about it. A lot of people, mostly younger, thinks it's a motorcycle. I have roughly 1100 miles on it since last Feb. Side benefit is it gets me out there and is great passive exercise!

cheet (resized).jpgcheet (resized).jpg
#60 3 years ago

Hopefully by the time I need assist, Guerrilla Gravity will have caught up with this, they are Colorado made revved carbon frames.

I loved mine so much, I had to have two - one 29" and one 27.5". They are the Punk Rock of mtb.
001 (resized).JPG001 (resized).JPG019 - Copy (resized).jpg019 - Copy (resized).jpg

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

My wife laughed at my excitement over that first ebike. I then converted a 1998 Harley davidson bicycle into an ebike. She laughed, and then rode it. And then asked me to get one for her. I then converted a different Harley bicycle from 1997. She rode it and a couple months later texted me to buy one for her that she found on ebay and convert in for her. So I have 3 different Harley conversions, she has 2. And 3 more for daughter, granddaughter, and son in law for a total of 8 Harley conversions and 2 other ebikes. I'm 61, and never been in better shape. We ride our bikes in a pack and go out to eat. Its hilarious the looks we get, and all the pictures people take of these things.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn’t you be in even BETTER shape if you didn’t have an e-assist on your bike?

#62 3 years ago

nice! I love bikes as well. Have a great felt mountain bike and a trek domane road bike thats around 5k(may buy new one with disc brakes and electrical gears). Also have the peloton which I love. Wish I had better places to ride my bike around here. Just got a new suv with an awesome bike rack so will be taking it on trips.

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn’t you be in even BETTER shape if you didn’t have an e-assist on your bike?

There's 2 different takes on this...mine is, that if you DIDN'T have PA on your bike, you'd probably not use it as often. PA actually GETS you onto the bike, so you'll get exercise, even if it's a little.

#64 3 years ago

No love for EBikes. At all.

Been a rash of them in our area in the last 2 years and the riders are absolutely horrid at following rules and staying on trail.
Absolutely hate them.
They are almost as bad as the horses.

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Been a rash of them in our area in the last 2 years and the riders are absolutely horrid at following rules and staying on trail.
Absolutely hate them.

I totally agree that everyone should follow the rules, but to say emtb riders are the only ones breaking them is complete BS....I see plenty of knuckleheads riding regular mountain bikes breaking the rules...probably more

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I totally agree that everyone should follow the rules, but to say emtb riders are the only ones breaking them is complete BS

Nobody said that.

Though, they will be directly responsible for getting us thrown out of a lot of trail in the next 4-5 years. They aren't bikes and should not be treated as such in regards to trail use.
They belong on the motorized trails, only.

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

There's 2 different takes on this...mine is, that if you DIDN'T have PA on your bike, you'd probably not use it as often. PA actually GETS you onto the bike, so you'll get exercise, even if it's a little.

I agree with this. I wasn't riding my mountain bike anymore. I am riding again now that I have that little bit of help when I need it. So for me it's made me more active.

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Absolutely hate them.

Agree with the other person who called BS on this. I see people of all types breaking the rules. Hikers, Bikers and EBikers. EBikes are not the problem, people are the problem. We're a society in a downfall because so many have little respect of rules and other people. THAT is the problem.

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Agree with the other person who called BS on this.

There's nothing to call BS on. Obviously you have comprehension problems.
Go read what I wrote again and ask yourself where I made the claim that they are the only category of trail user not following the rules?
Nowhere.
I pointed out that the populartiy of eBikes has resulted in a rash of trail users not following rules (and taking their habits deeper into the trail systems) and this is resulting in increased conflict.

They are not doing us any favors in regards to access. Lots of issues cropping up with them in the Intermountain West and the result will be more Trail closures.

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Go read what I wrote again and ask yourself where I made the claim that they are the only category of trail user not following the rules?
Nowhere.
I pointed out that the populartiy of eBikes has resulted in a rash of trail users not following rules (and taking their habits deeper into the trail systems) and this is resulting in increased conflict.
They are not doing us any favors in regards to access. Lots of issues cropping up with them in the Intermountain West and the result will be more Trail closures.

ok, not liking the aggressiveness. Take care. Done responding

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Nobody said that.
Though, they will be directly responsible for getting us thrown out of a lot of trail in the next 4-5 years. They aren't bikes and should not be treated as such in regards to trail use.
They belong on the motorized trails, only.

why? Hasn't happened in my area and theres a shit ton of mountain bike trails.....sounds to me you have a bunch of out of control mountain bikers in your area

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Nowhere.

you sound completely clueless to the real issue. The real issues sounds like people in your area are not following the rules....that has NOTHING to do with the type of bike you ride

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from Boondocker:

Hopefully by the time I need assist, Guerrilla Gravity will have caught up with this, they are Colorado made revved carbon frames.
I loved mine so much, I had to have two - one 29" and one 27.5". They are the Punk Rock of mtb.

Nice bikes! GG seems like an awesome company, been fun seeing Yoann riding for them this year.

#74 3 years ago

I thought I would add I just brought my 20 year old Diamond Back MB into the bike shop for an overhaul. The thing weights a ton but $252 will get me new tires and tubes, new chain and one new shifter and a tune up. I have used it little in the last 10 year's. Had it in the UP (Michigan) storage unit since we sold our ski home 4.5 years ago.

I primarily use my Specialized road bike it's about 12 years old and works great for outdoor recreation. The older I get the more worried I'll be hit by a distracted driver.

Cheers.

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

I rode my bikes less than the 80 miles a year. San Clemente is very hilly. I rode my ebikes 80 to 200 miles a week last year.

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:you sound completely clueless to the real issue. The real issues sounds like people in your area are not following the rules....that has NOTHING to do with the type of bike you ride

The main issue out here is specifically eBikes passing Stock on uphills. The advent of ebikes has made a situation that rarely if ever occurred commonplace and the results have been numerous injuries to riders and stock that are getting spooked in these incidents.

Having been on trail for over 30 years, from coast to coast, I can tell you that this is a new issue and it is causing an increase in conflicts.

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

The main issue out here is specifically eBikes passing Stock on uphills. The advent of ebikes has made a situation that rarely if ever occurred commonplace and the results have been numerous injuries to riders and stock that are getting spooked in these incidents.
Having been on trail for over 30 years, from coast to coast, I can tell you that this is a new issue and it is causing an increase in conflicts.

I'm a 30+ year MTB rider and I haven't seen these issues, and we ride in many areas with live stock....I think your blaming the issue on ebike riders where the reality is both parties are probably at fault (if theres truly an issue). Your saying that because emtb bike ride faster up hills their the problem? I'm struggling to follow your logic.

#78 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I'm a 30+ year MTB rider and I haven't seen these issues, and we ride in many areas with live stock....I think your blaming the issue on ebike riders where the reality is both parties are probably at fault (if theres truly an issue). Your saying that because emtb bike ride faster up hills their the problem? I'm struggling to follow your logic.

Having read your responses, I am positive that Logic is not the issue here.

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Having read your responses, I am positive that Logic is not the issue here.

I think your making shit up, because your comments make little sense.

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I think your making shit up, because your comments make little sense.

How daft to you have to be to understand the problem?

eBikes are able to ascend under non-assisted power at speeds that are in excess of normal cycling speeds.
As such, they are now passing Horseback Riders (doesn't happen near as often without eBikes on the uphills, if ever) and spooking the Stock. Either by surprising them / arriving unannounced, or going off-trail / around them.

Being silent.
Being MOTORIZED.
Carrying people who have less trail experience than the average Mountain Biker further into the trail systems and by
introducing a new scenario into Multi-Use systems (Cyclist overtaking Horseback riders w/ stock on the uphills) that there are no defined rules for.

Yeah - I can see how you fail to Grok the notion that eBikes are leading to increased user conflicts.
It's so esoteric and abstract when a guy thinks about it in those terms as to seem unreal.

#81 3 years ago

I don't understand individuals who blame bikes for bad rider behavior....thats like blaming the gun for killing someone....theres zero logic to your argument...sure they can ascend at greater speeds (but give me a break its a few MPH's faster)....sounds like they need to make bells a requirement like they do in my area. I realize a bell isn't ideal, but it at least notifies that someone is coming! Like I said earlier the issue your describing has nothing to do with the bike, but everything to do with rude riders.

#82 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Like I said earlier the issue your describing has nothing to do with the bike, but everything to do with rude riders.

No doubt Trail etiquette is at an all time low. But the introduction of the eBike has exacerbated this specific problem here.

Any rider knows the only time they enjoy the Right of Way is when encountering another cyclist on the downhill when you are heading up.

Otherwise, we are always low man on the totem pole.
The problem arises when inexperienced/uninformed riders encounter situations where they are expected to yield and do not. Or where they are in a situation where they are overtaking Stock and not providing warning to the Horse Riders.

eBikes are bringing the number of these incidents on our local trails up and as such are leading to more and more conflict. Partly because of the new situation of overtaking Horses on the Uphill and partly because they are bring more riders further into places where they were previously not able to go.

I am not blaming the bikes per se. I am noting that the facility they bring to cycling in the intermountain west, specifically, has lead to increases in conflict. This is directly due to the user. No doubt in any way.
But doesn't change the fact that their popularity has increased conflict.

#83 3 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

My wife laughed at my excitement over that first ebike. I then converted a 1998 Harley davidson bicycle into an ebike. She laughed, and then rode it. And then asked me to get one for her. I then converted a different Harley bicycle from 1997. She rode it and a couple months later texted me to buy one for her that she found on ebay and convert in for her. So I have 3 different Harley conversions, she has 2. And 3 more for daughter, granddaughter, and son in law for a total of 8 Harley conversions and 2 other ebikes. I'm 61, and never been in better shape. We ride our bikes in a pack and go out to eat. Its hilarious the looks we get, and all the pictures people take of these things.

Your steps in making this conversion would definitely be something I’d follow, please post the next one you do.

And OP, my other hobby is mountain biking as well, they are pricey now but one ride and it’s all worth it.

#84 3 years ago

me: "ok lets have a look how much these cost, might be time for an upgrade from a 20 year old mtb"

*sorts from low to high*

https://www.specialized.com/au/en/shop/bikes/turbo-e-bikes-its-you-only-faster/c/ebikes#/sort:ss_price:asc

wow.

#85 3 years ago

My Weapon! Sold a game to purchase it. I choose to ride in my free time over playing pinball. Plus I can always play Pinball at night. Although night riding is very cool too!
001 (2) (resized).JPG001 (2) (resized).JPG

#86 3 years ago

I have 3 bikes for all seasons and I have more $$ in them a 2NIB LE's and 1 NIB Premium. No lie. I would keep them before my pins. They benefit me in so many ways.
3,000 miles ridden last year and I work more than full-time.

AD7D6BF8-44D8-42C1-8C57-C64B25F2C75F (resized).jpegAD7D6BF8-44D8-42C1-8C57-C64B25F2C75F (resized).jpegC4B858A4-632D-4C96-AF5A-716A3AAF1B02 (resized).jpegC4B858A4-632D-4C96-AF5A-716A3AAF1B02 (resized).jpegD4EE2688-E80E-4CA3-B70C-5A234E4DD4F4 (resized).jpegD4EE2688-E80E-4CA3-B70C-5A234E4DD4F4 (resized).jpeg
#87 3 years ago
Quoted from koops:

me: "ok lets have a look how much these cost, might be time for an upgrade from a 20 year old mtb"
*sorts from low to high*
https://www.specialized.com/au/en/shop/bikes/turbo-e-bikes-its-you-only-faster/c/ebikes#/sort:ss_price:asc
wow.

And at those prices, they don’t even include the pedals.

#88 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

No doubt Trail etiquette is at an all time low. But the introduction of the eBike has exacerbated this specific problem here.
Any rider knows the only time they enjoy the Right of Way is when encountering another cyclist on the downhill when you are heading up.
The problem arises when inexperienced/uninformed riders encounter situations where they are expected to yield and do not. Or where they are in a situation where they are overtaking Stock and not providing warning to the Horse Riders.
eBikes are bringing the number of these incidents on our local trails up and as such are leading to more and more conflict. Partly because of the new situation of overtaking Horses on the Uphill and partly because they are bring more riders further into places where they were previously not able to go.
I am not blaming the bikes per se. I am noting that the facility they bring to cycling in the intermountain west, specifically, has lead to increases in conflict. This is directly due to the user. No doubt in any way.

Your argument is very tired. Guys like you are the problem.

It's exactly the same complaint hikers and equestrians shared when mountain bikes first invaded "their" trails.

30 years later you have decided that only acoustic bikes belong, as if your experience qualifies you because ebikes weren't there before.

Many ebike riders are the same people who were riding acoustic bikes on the trails over 30 years ago, before you claimed ownership and decided who belongs.

I commend your devotion to the sport, but your arguments make you sound like a dick.

#89 3 years ago

I actually picked up my new GME-bike yesterday. Paid for with some gains from the GME run-up. I really wanted the model above this, but I would have to fly to Utah where I found one in stock, or wait until August 2022. Bike shops aren't allowed to ship them to online buyers. The bike industry is a mess of backlogs right now. I also have a Trek Fuel 9.7...but wanted to give this a try.

20210330_095418 (resized).jpg20210330_095418 (resized).jpg

#91 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I actually picked up my new GME-bike yesterday. Paid for with some gains from the GME run-up. I really wanted the model above this, but I would have to fly to Utah where I found one in stock, or wait until August 2022. Bike shops aren't allowed to ship them to online buyers. The bike industry is a mess of backlogs right now. I also have a Trek Fuel 9.7...but wanted to give this a try.
[quoted image]

Nice ride ! I have the same KUAT bike rack.....

#92 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

I still stand by my original comment that it has nothing to do with the bike. Apparently in your area u have a bunch of out of control riders. My guess is most of those are not on pedal assist bikes.

#93 3 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I can relate. I have a Specialized S-Works Tarmac full Dura-Ace that was around that much.
[quoted image]

I just love the people who buy these and think it gives them license to hog the road and block traffic.

#94 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I just love the people who buy these and think it gives them license to hog the road and block traffic.

Yup-you got me! That was my EXACT intention for buying my bike....Jesus, some freaking people.....

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

Yup-you got me! That was my EXACT intention for buying my bike....Jesus, some freaking people.....

I didnt mean you, I have no idea what you do. But there are those out there.

#96 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I didnt mean you, I have no idea what you do. But there are those out there.

The local bike club here preaches to roadies to "take the lane" to force drivers to pass cleanly when there is no opposing traffic and not clip cyclists with mirrors or squeeze them off the shoulder-less roads they seem to have an abundance of here. In my state, the cyclist has the right to the whole lane by law. I gave up road riding years ago after way too many close calls due to the ever increasing suburban sprawl. I also think bug single file group rides are quite dangerous for cyclists and motorists as well, as it makes safe passing that much harder in an area that has a terrain of nothing but undulating hills and curves.

I fully understand the gripes of both sides when it comes to roadies though. Strava seems to have really help ramp up the occurrences of riders blowing traffic lights and stop signs, and I am not afraid to call friends out on it if I see them pulling that crap. Conversely, I also think eBikes may eventually help slow this practice down...if its super easy to start again and get back up to speed via assist, people may not be as likely to blow so many stops.

I just bought my wife a Rad City eBike so she can ride with me on rail trails and bike paths. She has a prior major foot injury with some missing bone support which precludes her from having the ability to dig hard on a pedal to get up a hill. The ebike means she can now get out and ride with me, over not being able to at all previously. FWIW, I am thoroughly impressed with the RAD build quality and price point. The bike seems to be very strong, balanced and well put together for the casual rider.

#97 3 years ago

Not nearly as nice as the others, but here is my ride. A 2011 Trek X Caliber. I'm still super happy with it.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#98 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Posted yesterday by guitarded –
\ quoted text quoted text Go fuck your mother

Poor guy couldn't think of an intelligent response.

Mods had to boot him.

#99 3 years ago

Nowhere near what these bikes cost but I went to the beach one sunday and found a almost new mountain bike on the seawall that was worth around 1K. The rear gears were damages beyond repair and the bike couldnt be ridden. It was in the middle of the sidewalk blocking traffic so I picked it up and leaned it against a pole. 8 hours later when we were leaving it was still there so I put it in the back of my truck. I spent $100 on it to get the rear gears replaces and it rides like a dream. Much nicer than the bikes you buy the stores.

1 month later
#100 2 years ago

Got it muddy yesterday

BF7A660B-6D42-44A2-8A2F-692FB46BA30E (resized).jpegBF7A660B-6D42-44A2-8A2F-692FB46BA30E (resized).jpeg
There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-bought-a-mountain-bike-that-cost-as-much-as-a-pinball-machine/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.