20220428_094750 (resized).jpg
20220315_152512 (resized).jpg
20220221_144245 (resized).jpg
20220221_145236 (resized).jpg
20220302_102558 (resized).jpg
20220302_105641 (resized).jpg
3BE58854-E7AB-44D7-9FB3-C463CF37AB3A (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20211202-160743_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg

There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 3 years ago

I spent as much on a mountain bike as a NIB Stern premium. I have to argue it might be more fun. I live in the Colorado Rockies, so I know its a special place. I love pinball. But to get out on my mountain bike in the high country away from people and the city. It’s magical.

18903CFD-C7CC-4D3D-B2A2-B3565ABD74F3 (resized).jpeg18903CFD-C7CC-4D3D-B2A2-B3565ABD74F3 (resized).jpeg998F4217-8EE0-4FED-87B9-B7ADBAA6FA1C (resized).jpeg998F4217-8EE0-4FED-87B9-B7ADBAA6FA1C (resized).jpeg
#2 3 years ago

Looks great....?

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Looks great....?

Yeah!

728D6F21-4155-41AD-BA4D-3A80E9EA4F1C (resized).jpeg728D6F21-4155-41AD-BA4D-3A80E9EA4F1C (resized).jpeg
#4 3 years ago

I'll never understand really expensive bicycles. Does the extra couple thousand really get you more performance? It's not like buying more horse power.

#5 3 years ago

I can relate. I have a Specialized S-Works Tarmac full Dura-Ace that was around that much.

Screenshot_20210311-225301 (resized).pngScreenshot_20210311-225301 (resized).png
#6 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I'll never understand really expensive bicycles. Does the extra couple thousand really get you more performance? It's not like buying more horse power.

In this case it is. It’s a VERY well designed eBike that looks like a bike and rides like a bike but I can go further and higher than ever. IT’S AMAZING

#7 3 years ago

I missed my kHS mountain bike that I paid 2k
about 100lbs ago (early 2000s)

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

In this case it is. It’s a VERY well designed eBike that looks like a bike and rides like a bike but I can go further and higher than ever. IT’S AMAZING

Ok, this makes sense now. So you did buy horsepower.

#9 3 years ago

Earlier this year I got my wife a nice eBike, not as expensive as yours, but mid-drive. We paid $2,200, so the same I sold a DW for about 5 years ago.

#10 3 years ago

Makes me miss my Schwinn Sting.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Ok, this makes sense now. So you did buy horsepower.

I bought the ability to get higher and further into our back country. That pic is 3 miles from my house, I can go an additional 20 miles into the wilderness and back before I run out of juice. AWESOME

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Yeah![quoted image]

There it is, nice!

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I spent as much on a mountain bike as a NIB Stern premium. I have to argue it might be more fun. I live in the Colorado Rockies, so I know its a special place. I love pinball. But to get out on my mountain bike in the high country away from people and the city. It’s magical.[quoted image][quoted image]

That is awesome, Way more to life than just pinball machines. No one should tell others how to spend their money.

My wife and I are moving to the Southwest and I'm spending quite a bit to take part of my collection of pin & slot machines with us. Plus all the car service stuff as well. I actually "cubed out" a 53' Kentucky Trailer moving van and require a 2nd one.

I have my list of stuff to buy for the new place including more furniture, a furnace for the pool (Spa is stand-alone with electric heat), Solar panels to cut the electric bill. Outdoor kitchen that MsBally wants, California Closet system, lots of patio furniture and maybe a four post lift for the garage and a nice new Rock-Ola jukebox. No more pinball machines for me as I can play everything at Banning or PHoF when the bug hits.

I am spending way more on moving costs than the value of my Bingo pins but I want them. Then there are several Bally Wulff Wall mount slot machines.....

As for a powered bike, I'm taking an old Solex 4600 Moped with me.

#14 3 years ago

So it’s a motorcycle, got it

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

So it’s a motorcycle, got it

I bought this last March. This is a 750 watt class 3 e bike. 17 AH battery inside the fake gas tank. 35 to 45 miles per charge. I like to pedal in 3rd gear which is a nice 20 mph. 4th and 5th gear for me are used to go up hills around 25 mph. Top speed is a little over 30. There is a throttle on the class 3 ebikes which make taking off nice, as well as the bikes ability to just ride like a moped if unable to peddle. I rode a few other ebikes, but chose this as my first ebike. I totally understand the excitment from peddling way, way further. And faster.

20210312_062027 (resized).jpg20210312_062027 (resized).jpg
#16 3 years ago

My wife laughed at my excitement over that first ebike. I then converted a 1998 Harley davidson bicycle into an ebike. She laughed, and then rode it. And then asked me to get one for her. I then converted a different Harley bicycle from 1997. She rode it and a couple months later texted me to buy one for her that she found on ebay and convert in for her. So I have 3 different Harley conversions, she has 2. And 3 more for daughter, granddaughter, and son in law for a total of 8 Harley conversions and 2 other ebikes. I'm 61, and never been in better shape. We ride our bikes in a pack and go out to eat. Its hilarious the looks we get, and all the pictures people take of these things.

20210217_130259 (resized).jpg20210217_130259 (resized).jpg20210217_170732 (resized).jpg20210217_170732 (resized).jpg
#17 3 years ago

Great bike: I hope the paint on the frame doesn't chip or pool

#18 3 years ago

Very cool looks like a great time.

#19 3 years ago

I really had no idea you could spend that much on a bike? Lets be honest....It's basically a moped that I would have killed for back in the day. If I had anywhere in my area to ride like you I'd be all over that. Very cool!

#20 3 years ago

Good find! The pandemic has resulted in a bike shortage which is making good bikes hard to find. I was actually at a local bike shop yesterday and they didn't have any in my size. Looking to get good entry level bike, and I figure spending a few hundred extra on a good one that I can maintain as needed would be better than buying an un-maintable bike from Walmart. I'm just looking to get some exercise without having to go to the gym. Sometimes I try to convince myself that playing pinball gives me a decent amount of exercise but we all know that's not true, haha.

#21 3 years ago

bikes have become as overpriced as pinball machines
I remember a very high end MTN bike in late 90's was about $2500

#22 3 years ago

It is OK, pinball is becoming way overpriced anyway. I have been buying Sea-Doo's and boat stuff instead of pins lately. If pins ever come back to earth I will redirect my money. I will have way more fun in my backyard this summer than playing pins anyway.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

Good find! The pandemic has resulted in a bike shortage which is making good bikes hard to find. I was actually at a local bike shop yesterday and they didn't have any in my size. Looking to get good entry level bike, and I figure spending a few hundred extra on a good one that I can maintain as needed would be better than buying an un-maintable bike from Walmart. I'm just looking to get some exercise without having to go to the gym. Sometimes I try to convince myself that playing pinball gives me a decent amount of exercise but we all know that's not true, haha.

The Collectable Antique Bicycle Exchange (CABE) is like pinside. You can find great Chicago made Schwinns for sale. Probably gonna have to ship it, but nothing like the cheap crap for sale nowadays in stores. You can find a real Phantom that rides great for decent prices, compared to the cheap Chinese copy Phantom they sell (out) at Wall Mart. I'm putting this 1951 Phantom on ebay for sell. It was restored by a HEP quality (now defunct) Pedal Pushers in Newport Beach. They were from Europe and considered the gold standard. I'm gonna ask an arm, leg, and a couple toes for it.

20210227_165831 (resized).jpg20210227_165831 (resized).jpg
#24 3 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

My wife laughed at my excitement over that first ebike. I then converted a 1998 Harley davidson bicycle into an ebike. She laughed, and then rode it. And then asked me to get one for her. I then converted a different Harley bicycle from 1997. She rode it and a couple months later texted me to buy one for her that she found on ebay and convert in for her. So I have 3 different Harley conversions, she has 2. And 3 more for daughter, granddaughter, and son in law for a total of 8 Harley conversions and 2 other ebikes. I'm 61, and never been in better shape. We ride our bikes in a pack and go out to eat. Its hilarious the looks we get, and all the pictures people take of these things.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thats pretty sweet right there......

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

It is OK, pinball is becoming way overpriced anyway. I have been buying Sea-Doo's and boat stuff instead of pins lately. If pins ever come back to earth I will redirect my money. I will have way more fun in my backyard this summer than playing pins anyway.

don't even get me started on boat prices - pin prices can't even come close to sky rocketing boat prices
bought a 31' cabin cruiser new in 2004 for around $150k
now 24' Center consoles are $250,000
and used prices are also way up due to pandemic demand

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

don't even get me started on boat prices
24' CC for $250,000

oh yea, if you do not already have a boat then wait. The only boats even available down here are pontoon boats.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

The Collectable Antique Bicycle Exchange (CABE) is like pinside. You can find great Chicago made Schwinns for sale. Probably gonna have to ship it, but nothing like the cheap crap for sale nowadays in stores. You can find a real Phantom that rides great for decent prices, compared to the cheap Chinese copy Phantom they sell (out) at Wall Mart. I'm putting this 1951 Phantom on ebay for sell. It was restored by a HEP quality (now defunct) Pedal Pushers in Newport Beach. They were from Europe and considered the gold standard. I'm gonna ask an arm, leg, and a couple toes for it.
[quoted image]

Made on North Kostner Avenue. Less than a mile away from the Gottlieb plant. The wife of a Bally guy I knew worked at Schwinn on Kostner. Both are now at "Bally in the sky".

#28 3 years ago

Don't do a Simon Cowell

#29 3 years ago

Before my stroke and three brain surgeries, I was mountain biking weekly in foothill ranch.

An old guy in great shape called it the fountain of youth...

#30 3 years ago

I just turned my kitchen white for the price of a Stern Pro. Doesn't seem fair...

#31 3 years ago

I moved to the PNW last year and priorities shifted With so many awesome pinball locations in the Portland area and a ton of great trails, a nice mountain bike seemed like a better use of money than another game. Nice looking Levo @wackybrakke, hope you put a ton of miles on it!

rascal1 (resized).jpegrascal1 (resized).jpeg
#32 3 years ago

I still have my original Schwinn BMX bike and Honda XL75 from the late 70s in my moms garage. Maybe some day I’ll restore or part ways. Those e-bikes are pretty cool.

WackyBrakke - I’m so jealous of that scenery!

2F6BBCEA-1610-4581-B7B3-05122FCC96D6 (resized).jpeg2F6BBCEA-1610-4581-B7B3-05122FCC96D6 (resized).jpeg3C6C800E-3636-4CC3-A165-EFB032FAFC2B (resized).jpeg3C6C800E-3636-4CC3-A165-EFB032FAFC2B (resized).jpeg
#33 3 years ago
Quoted from gjm:

Great bike: I hope the paint on the frame doesn't chip or pool

I scratched my wife's brand new 24 year old bike. Daughter got me an Avontree Cyclone speaker which works thru bluetooth. It sounds a lot better than I thought it would. I crank it and love it. Wife will never know I scratched her bike. Best $45 accessory. I thought I would have to pay alot more for something that sounds pretty good on the road.

20210312_104952 (resized).jpg20210312_104952 (resized).jpg
#34 3 years ago

Nice.

Nothing better than a MTB Ride...except perhaps a good Steelhead Bite.

And yeah...another NOT cheap hobby. My Pivot set me back to the tune of a HUO Maiden Premium.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Made on North Kostner Avenue. Less than a mile away from the Gottlieb plant. The wife of a Bally guy I knew worked at Schwinn on Kostner. Both are now at "Bally in the sky".

They made great bikes there. Ride an old Chicago made Schwinn bike and you won't waste your money on the Walmart bikes.

#36 3 years ago

I also changed up the hobby recently, sold about 12 pinballs to pay for this boat (2007 Supra), and remember boats are a lot more expensive in Aus than USA, but some of the machines were projects and sold as is. My wife and I agreed the boat is a better long term value for family time than the pinballs. Its been absolutely amazing and rewarding seeing our 5 yr old get up on a wakeboard for the first time. It seats 13 so can go out with other families, and where i live in the tropics, we can hit the water all year round!

Definitely worth not gettting stuck in just one hobby, although now i have to build a bigger shed to fit the boat in.....more $$$.

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg
#37 3 years ago

Here is mine. It's a beach cruiser. Not as cool as those Harley's, but it's fast and goes 100 miles per charge.

Bike (resized).jpgBike (resized).jpg
#38 3 years ago

I just got this delivered this week.
2018 Haro lineage Team Sport.
Only 150 made.

F03C0D76-D857-4CCB-8F7C-B1439CEFEFCC (resized).jpegF03C0D76-D857-4CCB-8F7C-B1439CEFEFCC (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#39 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I'm so impressionable. After seeing your thread I picked up a used 2020 Levo SL. It's awesome.

I rode a ton of technical trails when I was younger, but eventually it became too hard to maintain that level of riding.

The SL is the perfect solution to get back on the trails. You get that extra boost when needed, but still have to work the pedals, anticipate hills, and shift gears accordingly. There is no electric speed run uphill. You get a cardio workout.

It's lightweight and looks and rides like a Stumpjumper, not an ebike. Technology finally nailed it.

Thanks for starting this thread.
20210320_105114 (resized).jpg20210320_105114 (resized).jpg

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I'm so impressionable. After seeing your thread I picked up a used 2020 Levo SL. It's awesome.
I rode a ton of technical trails when I was younger, but eventually it became too hard to maintain that level of riding.
The SL is the perfect solution to get back on the trails. You get that extra boost when needed, but still have to work the pedals, anticipate hills, and shift gears accordingly. There is no electric speed run uphill. You get a cardio workout.
It's light weight and looks and rides like a Stumpjumper, not an ebike. Technology finally nailed it.
Thanks for starting this thread. [quoted image]

Amazing you can buy one a bike with a battery or this for about the same price
wonder which one has the better margins

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#41 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Amazing you can buy one a bike with a battery or this for about the same price
wonder which one has the better margins[quoted image]

Kinda like comparing a Computer to a TV. They may look similar, but have completely different purposes.

You seem fixated on price. Anything one has no interest in owning is gonna cost more than one is willing to pay.

Non pinhead people say the same thing about pinball machines too.

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Totally agree....A couple months ago I purchased a Specialized Turbo Levo carbon expert and its simply amazing....so much so I purchased another one for my son.

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

It's lightweight and looks and rides like a Stumpjumper, not an ebike. Technology finally nailed it.
Thanks for starting this thread.
[quoted image]

Nice! Good choice! You’ll enjoy it

#44 2 years ago

I thought you were young? Hopefully I can hold out another 10 years for an e-bike.
7C0A7589-CFA9-4761-82D7-8D87C76C0669 (resized).jpeg7C0A7589-CFA9-4761-82D7-8D87C76C0669 (resized).jpeg

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I just wanted to point out to others that the specialized ebikes I have seen assist with power but cannot power themselves without peddling. I don’t know if this is the case with the specialized ebike you bought or not but it’s not like riding a motorcycle (in case people were wondering). I looked at them when I recently bought a bike but realized it wasn’t a good fit for me and my style of riding. I want to work for the miles and the weight of the ebike was a turnoff for me.

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

I just wanted to point out to others that the specialized ebikes I have seen assist with power but cannot power themselves without peddling. I don’t know if this is the case with the specialized ebike you bought or not but it’s not like riding a motorcycle (in case people were wondering). I looked at them when I recently bought a bike but realized it wasn’t a good fit for me and my style of riding. I want to work for the miles and the weight of the ebike was a turnoff for me.

There are 3 different classes of ebike. A class 2 ebike has a throttle and a max speed of 20. Class 1 ebike is pedal assist only with max speed of 20. Class 3 is a little confusing and changes a little from state to state.

So a class 2 ebike has a throttle which can be used for taking off. I'm often at a red light with many bikes and it's nice to take off with a throttle and then peddle in front. Having a throttle can get you out of bad situations fast, and put you in a bad situation if you choose to ride that way. Conversion kits usually have throttles and have screens that you can program so they go around 30 mph and can be used solely with throttle.

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

I want to work for the miles and the weight of the ebike was a turnoff for me

The Specialized Levo SL specifically addresses both of those concerns.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

The Specialized Levo SL specifically addresses both of those concerns.

Kind of but not really, neither are concerns of mine but rather choices. I do believe that specialized makes an ebike that is the closest to something that I would ride but I also determined that an ebike is not what I want at this point in my life. Multiple gears get me where I want to go and honestly if I were younger I think I’d be riding with single speed bike. We are all riding for different reasons but one of my reasons for riding is to push myself out of my comfort zone and I don’t want assistance when I’m out of that comfort zone.

#49 2 years ago

I like the class one mid-drive torque sensing type. I don’t like the rear hub drive with a throttle ebikes. Those are more like motorcycles. The mid-drive torque sensing is more about being a bike but helping you out a little bit.

Not to mention there are a lot of rules/regulations on ebikes and generally speaking class 1 bikes are usually treated like regular bikes. Class 2 and 3 bikes tend to be limited to motorized use, ie roads and stuff. Like a motorcycle, mostly cause it has a throttle.

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

... Way more to life than just pinball machines. ...

You lost me at this point.

There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-bought-a-mountain-bike-that-cost-as-much-as-a-pinball-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.