(Topic ID: 43849)

I Believe pinball can make a comeback on location...........!!!

By iceman44

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

boxcutter.jpg
    image.jpg
    tilt_next_gen.png
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iceman44.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Yeah, I know, Iceman the optimist, but hey, I played a sh*tload of AC/DC this week at Eric's in Breck primarily and I'm telling you, I had more kids and teenagers next to me playing LOTR, SM and TF it was really unbelievable......the kids/teens love Lotr, SM and TF...didn't give a crap about AC/DC, which was good for me.....

I was talking to Chris at Eric's and they want to expand pinball operations!....They have those four pins which are maintained beautifully! Thanks to JJ at Gexexchange....

If you put a rode hard turd on location like TOM at Beaver Run, nobody is going to play it....other places in Breck like Eric's, Ullers, Brooklyn's, put out quality LE's and people play the heck out of them....

Every time a kid or teen came up I asked them how they liked the pinballs and they were thrilled to play....video overkill is upon us....I heard one mom tell this little kid that he had to play the pinballs because he spent too much time on video!

And, I had these kids constantly bumping up all over me and the glass, trying to see, while I'm trying to take down AC/DC! Really cool....

I did post the high scores on AC/DC although some DB has grand champion at 322 million...

Rock and roll!! Feeling great about pinball..........

#5 11 years ago

I know this totally BLOWS in most pinheads minds, including my own, but I'm just throwing this out there as a father of 3 girls......if JJP is licensing a Bieber pin it would blow up on location, just sayin and my kids would force me to buy one...

My kids in unison said, "dad, if they do make a Bieber pin, you have to get it"....translation, they won't love me anymore if I don't..Haha

The thought makes me want to puke but hey, you could have lined up 4 Bieber pins and had them going full tilt at Eric's with 10 deep waiting to play....hehe

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Kids will play pinball when there's nothing better to do. Give them am Xbox and they're not gonna play much pinball. Women generally don't like pinball. Yes there are some example of girls playing. But more of us have wife threads where they allow us to have them. Some wives limit the machine count etc. in general, the interest isn't high enough for people to be swarming into arcades to just play pinball.

Totally disagree and not what I've seen all week....kids played pinball with so many other video games available at Eric's, along with women....and my wife and 3 girls like pinball a lot.....

The negative attitude is not right! They won't be "swarming into arcades" ever to just play pinball, it has to be part of an otherwise desired destination....

Put a little creativity in the mindset and see what happens!... It's the stale, close minded attitudes that reflect the average pinhead....its a new day, and JJP and Stern are gonna up the ante for pinball again....

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Colehvac1:

I wish this were true, but it not. There is not enough profit in pinball for it to be a viable business.
    I had a couple of locations with machines, it wasn't even close to worth it. Even if it makes 200 a week which believe it or not is good earnings, with the initial investment of machine,insurance, permit, time to clean out and count the money, maint. And let's not forget breakdowns, and repairs due to abuse. It's just not worth it, the money is in selling them to the collector/home market period!

That's totally wrong, these guys are making good money at .50 cents a play! And will expand this fall.....the quality of the pins is getting better and maintenance is easier...watch it happen, just because you failed doesn't mean others can't succeed and will........

#14 11 years ago

There are people that fail every day in business because they are either not smart enough, don't work hard enough or are in the wrong place at the wrong time....

There will be smarter people that come along like these guys at Eric's and make it work....

I don't need pinball to make money! Although I'm sure I could, I make too much otherwise

Just because it doesn't work for a few that didn't get it right for whatever reason doesn't mean it won't work for others who do it right...just sayin...

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from Colehvac1:

Do the math, at .50 a play a new 8000 acdc has to be played 32,000 times before the operator will break even on the game, providing there's no maint,no breakdowns,no abuse.

Hmmm...wonder why they want to expand and put more pins in.....it didn't work for you, no need to dump on what other guys are capable of doing...

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

That's bad thinking. It's true if the game becomes worth $0 the second it's out on site. But you but the game for $6500. You get $150-$200 a month for a few years. Then you sell it for $5500 when done. That's how you should look at this aspect.

Exactly, if properly maintained....hey, I'm going to be a big cheerleader for these guys! Let's go, make it happen for the pinball world...I respect the heck out of you for trying....

Location, location, location...

And the depreciation, forgot about that (as a cpa that's terrible)...

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

If you buy one we will all lobby to ban you from Pinside

I'll ban myself out of sheer embarassment!

Ok, I'm off to play some more AC/DC and grab a good meal....I'm a believer, I'm going to stay positive and think things are heading in the right direction based on what I see and my instincts...

And on the way there I'll be listening to a Tony Robbins CD

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

if the games are kept up and new people put money in and dont get ripped off they will put more money in an so on. its the ops period. they will make it or finish off location pinball. its that simple.

Just back from a great meal and at least an hours worth of AC/DC....more kids, teens and oldies next to me having fun....

It will happen again...I am a "Justin Belieber"

Btw, each kid said they would give up 6 Bday's for a Bieber pin....yeah right

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rick471:

I would never put a NIB or A title there. With my average take it would take me over 5 Years to recoup my money on the pin.

Hey Rick, that's what these guys do, put the NIB le's and A titles out there and do well with 50 cent plays...they should be at 75 cents at least though on the NIB's....I wonder if your average take would go up substantially if you had those options....maybe not in that location...he says they get a lot of local repeaters playing, like the old days, because of SM, LOTR, AC/DC...

I had one local guy break open a roll of quarters next to me and play Lotr for an hour while I was on AC/DC...

GL with your efforts!

#72 11 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

Ice, I was with you until you mentioned the Bieber pin. Honestly, I think it is impossible for pinball to become relevant on location, but I do like your optimism. Time will tell. On the plus side, pinball will always be relevant at my house.

True that Honch, my house too! But hey, let's not lose faith, its possible and maybe a tough sled but lets see what the LCD does with Woz and Star Trek......and let's see how Woz does with ease of repairs, etc. which would make it easier to maintain, update....

One step at a time.....

#75 11 years ago
    Quoted from guyincognito:

If you really believe... buy a few and put them on location.

I would if I had time....there will be plenty of other smart ops that will come along and figure it out....

Quoted from spfxted:

It's possible. If machines are more reliable. If you charge $1 per play and can make $50 a day. Do the math. Not only can you break even on a $6500 machine pretty quick, but then you can resell it for good bucks.

You got it Ted, reliability and resale value! After all, everybody thinks these pins are going to go up in price forever

You get to depreciate the pin, using the section 179 deduction to the extent you have any income and then eventually would have to recapture upon sale but hey, if its maintained properly it could work out really well....if it were me, I'd keep a spreadsheet of my breakeven analysis, and when I was able to book a reasonable profit, sell and rotate those pins with new ones.....location, location, location....but what do I know, not much, only what I see....

#97 11 years ago

You know what....F....all you negative mofo's...should have never started this thread and now I really don't give a rat's *ss about you smart *ss dumb sumb*tches, do or don't do......

Btw, I'm buying an AC/DC for my "home" location...no charge, come play any and all if in South Texas!

#111 11 years ago
    Quoted from guyincognito:

So you're not going to play the AC/DC on location any more and support the operator?!

Some comeback that was...

Haha...of course I'll play anything on location and support any operator...but I'm buying AC/DC for myself!............its been proven to me that "on location" is a joke and has zero chance of succeeding so it is what it is....I guess if ops are dumb enough to waste their time and put great pins on location I'm going to play em.....and then buy em if I like em....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iceman44.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-believe-pinball-can-make-a-comeback-on-location?tu=iceman44 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.