(Topic ID: 43849)

I Believe pinball can make a comeback on location...........!!!

By iceman44

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

boxcutter.jpg
    image.jpg
    tilt_next_gen.png
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frankj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 11 years ago

Here is the part I don't understand...we have an industry that has been told for 50 years by operators that they need a product that is relatively service free. Why can't the industry listen and change? Is it impossible to build parts that can last? Flipper mechs, pop bumpers, etc. have remained mechanically unchanged for 50 years. Can't the industry think differently and build a tank the industry demands?

If I were an operator, I wouldn't accept a product that (according to posts on this forum) rarely works properly out of the box. I wouldn't buy a product that ships incomplete. I wouldn't buy a product that requires the amount of service required to keep them working. Why would you, when you can buy a competing product that works, requires almost no service, and makes more money?

Everyone blames the operator. Why are we not blaming the industry for decades of "it's good enough"? They have been the problem.

In my opinion new machines need to be better built than they have ever been built if we want pinball to survive. We need machines that on average needs a 5000 mile oil change, tires at 50,000 miles, and wheel bearings at 100,000 miles.

#64 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

We keep them clean, lit, and as fully working as money and time allows. If something is down we get it fixed in 4 days tops.

That's great, but labor intensive. Why would an operator with many locations want to do that when he can put other types of games out and make more money without the hassle? We accept and expect pinball machines to break. To me, that's wrong. What other industry accepts this?

I applaud you, LTG, the Barcades, and anyone that routes pinball machines. But, you are niche locations, not the norm. As a pinball lover, I'd like to think I would do the same. I know that as a businessman I wouldn't.

Every time another defective game leaves a factory, pinball dies a little more. Look how many people with NIB machines on this forum are waiting for parts for their new games to work. Why would a business person want to go through this every time they buy a pinball machine? Look at posts from operators "all games need some tweaking out of the box". Why?? I'm giving you $7000. I expect it to work 100% now, and for the entire warranty period. We expect this from all other devices, appliances, vehicles, etc. with moving parts. Why not a pinball machine? What makes this device so special that we will accept such high rates of failure as routine?

#121 11 years ago
    Quoted from papazit1963:

Colehvac1 said:

Do the math, at .50 a play a new 8000 acdc has to be played 32,000 times before the operator will break even on the game, providing there's no maint,no breakdowns,no abuse.

Someone needs a new calculator...

32,000 x .50 = $16,000. Location gets 50%. Owner gets 50%. $16,000/2= $8000

That doesn't include time and gas to empty the coin box, count and split the money or taxes, licenses, insurance, a vehicle to transport...

#156 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

The cross-section of collectors who also frequent bars seems to be on the small side,

Never been to the midwest, huh?

See the posts on the MGC. There's as much talk on what beer are you bringing as what machine are you bringing.

I'd say 90% of our machines are in bars, bowling alleys, and movie theaters. Shoot, we can buy beer at Chuck E. Cheese here.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frankj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-believe-pinball-can-make-a-comeback-on-location?tu=frankj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.