Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by wdennie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Hook Data East, 1992

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

So - I’ve got a Data East Hook that survived some sort of major water incident - it was in a flood of some sort.
The volume control was rusted shut...it’s the long metal knob one on the right side next to the service outlet.
It’s no longer rusted shut - I used WD-40. I know - it was probably stupid.
I also got a little warm zap when my finger accidentally went under the metal box - it wasn’t crazy or anything. The game was off but plugged in - now unplugged.
How bad did I mess up? Do I need to tear this area to clean it? The WD-40 doesn’t seem to have gotten on the service outlet or it’s components, but maybe on the volume knob wiring. How do I do it safely?
Thanks.

If you sprayed wd40 into the volume pot its probably shot now if it wasnt already from the rust. You can take it apart (if possible) and try and clean it up. WD40 turns sticky and gunky and will foul up the volume pot. I don't think there is anything in pinball WD40 is good for. Maybe stuck leg levelers....

Did you experience a static discharge or did you get a tingle from current flowing? All exposed metal is typically earth grounded in pinball. ESD discharge assuming the game was plugged in and you touched exposed metal probably just discharged to ground and not hurt anything. Capacitors can hold a charge after the game is off and can give you a tickle if you touch the right thing. Should not damage anything.

A static discharge into the circuit board can be a bit more serious but hard to predict. After ESD event can have latent failure (works now, dies later), immediate failure, or works fine forever are possible scenarios. This winter I was sitting at the bench, stood up and walked over to a test fixture. Touched the MPU test button and drew an ESD arc. CPU locked up. Powered down and reboot and all was fine. Now that board was suspect so I put it into one of my own games and it has been fine since. So hard to predict.

Clean or replace the volume pot and see where you are.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Ronkz650:

I was in TV repair for 34yrs. WD40 is ok for cleaning controls. Better than most sprays. They had many sprays just made for cleaning controls and tuners in the old days, then some safetycrat made illegal the propellant, then after that the "safe" formula would melt plastic and ruin everything. WD40 never hurts anything. It's not flammable unless you hold a torch to it as you spray. Just my opinion after using it 1000s of times. Others may have differing opinions, mostly from reading fables.

Spray some wd-40 and then let the solvents evaporate. You are left with a gummy viscous film that attracts dust and grit. truth

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-believe-ive-made-a-terrible-mistake?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.