Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by BubbaK
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CE70EB81-266C-4E16-B1F1-722E201894B2 (resized).jpeg
    6AB58B1F-C0DA-46CB-8932-5235F83A115B (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

I have been searching for years for a better way to clean female jones plugs. I have tried pipe cleaners and the dremil method. Pipe cleaners don’t fit and the dremil method had too much risk of damage. I have been restoring a Space Mission, and all of the jones plugs had this strange white pimple dust all over them. I did not believe that just cleaning the male jones plugs would fix the problem.

These are air brush cleaners I bought at Harbor Freight for about $5. They work truly incredible. As much as I wished they were a brass brush to do a better job, I can not complain of the results. It took me less than 10 minutes to go through all of the female jones plugs on the bottom board. I ended up with a good portion of white dust that I had to blow away.

I guarantee that you will find other uses for these brushes.

For those of you you who order online, the item number #68155

6AB58B1F-C0DA-46CB-8932-5235F83A115B (resized).jpeg6AB58B1F-C0DA-46CB-8932-5235F83A115B (resized).jpeg
    #2 2 years ago

Please post if you purchase and your opinion results for others.

I used the #3 and #4 brush for cleaning. The #4 fit most holes and cleaned best, for some I had to use the #3.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

Please post if you purchase and your opinion results for others.
    I used the #3 and #4 brush for cleaning. The #4 fit most holes and cleaned best, for some I had to use the #3.

I have these and I’ll try them. I’m doing a Strato Flite resto at the moment and then my next resto is a Space Mission.

#4 2 years ago

I’m using these currently though

CE70EB81-266C-4E16-B1F1-722E201894B2 (resized).jpegCE70EB81-266C-4E16-B1F1-722E201894B2 (resized).jpeg
    #5 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I’m using these currently though
    [quoted image]

Yep, I was just about to say bore brush from a gun cleaning kit.

#6 2 years ago

Excellent!!! Ty

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

I have been searching for years for a better way to clean female jones plugs. I have tried pipe cleaners and the dremil method. Pipe cleaners don’t fit and the dremil method had too much risk of damage. I have been restoring a Space Mission, and all of the jones plugs had this strange white pimple dust all over them. I did not believe that just cleaning the male jones plugs would fix the problem.
    These are air brush cleaners I bought at Harbor Freight for about $5. They work truly incredible. As much as I wished they were a brass brush to do a better job, I can not complain of the results. It took me less than 10 minutes to go through all of the female jones plugs on the bottom board. I ended up with a good portion of white dust that I had to blow away.
    I guarantee that you will find other uses for these brushes.
    For those of you you who order online, the item number #68155[quoted image]

I use those same brushes and they work great.

Alberto

#8 2 years ago

Mikala

will definitely check them out. My harbor freight has them for $1.99. Thanks

#9 2 years ago

Does the brush “spring back” well?

I’ve also been using the .17 bore brush and I find it gets crushed after half a plug and loses its effectiveness.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I’ve also been using the .17 bore brush and I find it gets crushed after half a plug and loses its effectiveness.

Yes, they spring back and don’t lose their shape.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I think that depends on the quality of the brass. There is a higher lead content in cheaper brass...

#12 2 years ago

I ordered some of these from Mcmaster.. forget which size, but I put it in a small drill and they hold their shape and do a nice quick job.. Measure the jones pin and I got a size up and down also.

https://www.mcmaster.com/miniature-wire-brushes/brush-style~tube/

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-believe-i-found-the-the-best-product-for-cleaning-female-jones-plugs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.