7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Nevus
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

helpful-yes-no.jpg
    pinside_ac-dc_rating.jpg

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

I am not sure if this pinsider meant well by this or this was his/her line in the sand, but doing this isn't real productive. As a community we are trying to come to a solution on how to better manage the ratings. I don't think flaming games is a constructive way to make our site better!

http://pinside.com/pinball/archive/ac-dc-(le)/ratings pinside_ac-dc_rating.jpg

#3 7 years ago

Kick the dude off, that is just silly!

#4 7 years ago

If i was a mod i would not let someone like that rate on Pinside again.

#5 7 years ago

Seriously. How can that be allowed!!
    Kick him off and refund his donation. I will double it.

And by the way I have an AC/DC on order but certainly won't review it until I have played it well enough to give an honest opinion. It's why I don't have any games reviewed yet. Sheesh.

#6 7 years ago

well, Robin did say this was being monitored, but you have to give the mods time to see this sort of thing, that review was posted today.

Of course if the top 100 is the stock market to you, you may have an issue.

#7 7 years ago

Take the guy off the site! simple as that!

p

#8 7 years ago

Russo can go in and change his rating at any time . He should. No reason to talk about banning someone for a moment of pique. Happens to the best of us. It is an easy fix.

#9 7 years ago

lol he's DISGUSTED!

The ratings formula should be tweaked to throw out outliers. Then at least they'd have to be clever.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from perryd:

Take the guy off the site! simple as that!

p

that is harsh, let's take his games away for the summer as punishment

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from islandpinball:

that is harsh, let's take his games away for the summer as punishment

: )

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Russo can go in and change his rating at any time . He should.

Agreed, he should. Rating games in this fashion completely destroys the purpose of the ratings system.

#13 7 years ago

I agree that is is silly to rate a 1.0 out of spite to make a statement about the flaws in the pinside rankings...

However if you are going to sensor the ratings, be sure to kick off the 4 people (20% of the total # of ratings) that rated it as a 10.0 when they obviously have only played the game for a short bit and the code is still incomplete.

What are they going to do when the code finally gets completed, turned it up to 11? The game will just be "More perfect man!"

Just as silly as the 1.0 IMHO

#14 7 years ago

Not agreeing on the 10. But a 10 from a few plays is still not the same as a 1 with no plays just out of spite.

#15 7 years ago

I think the perfect 10's with insufficient time played are less likely to be mistakes than ratings of 4-6 with the same amount of time played. Neither one is fair, but they will average each other out. The 1's are ridiculous. There isn't a game made that deserves that kind of rating, much less what i'm seeing out of ac/dc based just on looking at it. No, i didn't rate anything without playing it..

#16 7 years ago

I am inventing a new pin with a razor on the plunger and every time you hit a bumper a dart shoots out of the top at you. Finally we can have our 1 rating!

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Just as silly as the 1.0 IMHO

It's not. What if you got a new pin and you thought it was the best you had ever played? Might be a 10 if that's how you want your scale. I mean if you want to rate your best most favorite pin as a 10. Later, you play a new one, you like it better, you rate that one a 10 and knock your now older pin down a notch. I do not own ac/dc . Yet it is my highest rated pin. That's just how good I felt it was. Will WoZ be better? maybe...and if it was I would probably rerate a couple of things on the ac/dc lower.

#18 7 years ago

My comment is this, I read the title as "island pinball has got to stop something". I cringed because I have alwys appreciated your posts, island! glad i misunderstood....

#19 7 years ago

Ok, you are both right that a 10.0 from a few plays is not as bad as a 1.0 from no plays (actually a 1.0 ever is just crazy talk. I would rate a broke pin higher than a 1.0).

However, a 10.0 appears to be a rating with an agenda and if you are gonna sensor then you should probably be sure to do it equally on both ends of the spectrum.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

1.0 from no plays (actually a 1.0 ever is just crazy talk. I would rate a broke pin higher than a 1.0).

Rating a pin below a 5, on my personal scale, would mean it caused me physical pain to play it. I never rate a pin unless I have played it fully working, which means there are some I have not rated due to busted-ass condition on route . Playing any working pin is always better than a trip to the dentist for me .

#21 7 years ago

I just want to let everyone know that the mods are aware of the situation, and we are deciding how to respond. In the meantime, I ask all of you to please refrain from retaliating with crazy ratings of your own. Pinside's rating system is one of the things that makes this site so great. The last thing we want to see is a complete collapse of confidence in it.

#22 7 years ago

Good god almighty this is just like the Agricola/Puerto Rico butthurt.

#23 7 years ago

Who cares about the ratings?!? the comments are where the real info is.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Playing any working pin is always better than a trip to the dentist for me [] .

I totally agree. i love pinball it's almost always fun, just varying degrees of fun

#25 7 years ago

Wish there was some way to create a group of respectable players to rate machines instead of random ratings driven by who knows what motivation.

Its really common though, one night I was looking at some other very high posting pinsiders that gave MM, Lotr, TSPP and TS 5's and 6's. Kinda loose respect when some really good machines are rated 5 or 6. I can see 7's because they did not like the games but 5's...thats like flunking

Just my .02

#26 7 years ago

it did motivate me to rate the game I'd played many times. It's not a 10, but waay not a 1.0

I would figure if you rate something a 10 you would probably want to back it up with some words, not just a sentence saying 'best/worst pin ever nuff said'. Maybe on the ratings you could have a stipulation that pops up in the formatting, 'you have rated this machine the top/bottom score of all time, in 80 words or more, describe what makes it so great/terrible'.

Personally I think its silly as its all just speculative, but also I'm a certified beer judge, and I see where ratings are necessary for things.

At the same time, the best beer or pin in the world may not be the greatest ever to others. Ultimately it'll all come out in the wash. In the meantime, if you want ac/dc to be the best pin in the world, then today is your lucky day if pinside is all you use to dictate your decisions.

#27 7 years ago

I rate pins on how I feel about them after playing them for a sufficiant amount of time. Really isn't that complicated is it? But as we all know, we do have some "characters" in this hobby to say the least.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from DougPiranha:

Wish there was some way to create a group of respectable players to rate machines instead of random ratings driven by who knows what motivation.

This would defeat the whole point of the Pinside ranking system. The idea behind the Pinside 100 is that it represent the opinion of the masses.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

This would defeat the whole point of the Pinside ranking system. The idea behind the Pinside 100 is that it represent the opinion of the masses.

Agreed. There is the pinside staff rating for your "expert view."

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I rate pins on how I feel about them after playing them for a sufficiant amount of time.

+1

It gives me a better idea of the game and whether it's a good pin or not.

#31 7 years ago

If I had rated Tron and TF to begin with, my opinion has flipped completely. I also try not to rate games on "memory" if I haven't played them in a long time. I don't want to totally bash something with a crap rating from years ago.

I'm looking at you JM.

#32 7 years ago

I'm not sure how the rankings are calculated but maybe implement a system where the top 5% and bottom 5% rankings are eliminated from the overall calculations?

#33 7 years ago

Still puzzled at why the ratings are such a big deal to some. It's not like anyone profits by having games higher or lower on the list. I use it as a tool to learn a bit about games I might be interested in trying to play/purchase. Shrug.

#34 7 years ago

maybe there should be a ratings system for "respectable players"...

and another for ratings for "ratings of 'pre-respect-qualified'-respectable players", until theres only one person left, who is the know all, tell all, of opinions.

then, watch the real fighting begin.

-jon

#35 7 years ago

Maybe Obama can appoint a Pinside Ratings Czar.

#36 7 years ago

What I find funny is Russo manipulated the rating to his favor ..LMAO .

Jim

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from Esohny:

I use it as a tool to learn a bit about games I might be interested in trying to play/purchase. Shrug.

I agree with this, and giving a game a 1, and clearly stating you are doing it because you're on your period, is bush league and helps no one.

#38 7 years ago

This has been going on with IPDB forever. Check out the comments for most machines, I would say 60% of the comments in general are based on people not having a full scope of the machine.

#39 7 years ago

What is funny is people buying games based on the opinions of others...

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from Craigmack:

What is funny is people buying games based on the opinions of others...

I agree, but for the most part, you can't find a game anywhere to test it out anymore, even if you wanted to. So alot of people have to go by ratings, youtube videos, visual pinball, etc....no other choice...

I bought alot of games I never played before, and loved them...also didn't like a couple as much as I would have thought I would too...

#41 7 years ago

I have e-mailed Russo and explained that I have removed his rating. Rating a game is only allowed if you have played it.

Let's keep this constructive everyone! I have put a lot of effort in the ratings system and understand there are problems, but nothing that can't be fixed. Giving protest ratings is no way to solve the issues.

Please be serious when rating. If you have issues with the ratings system, use the forum to let them be known and to discuss ideas - or even just PM me.

Note that I'm always gathering ideas to improve the system.

Thanks.

#42 7 years ago

There is always going to be problems like this with a public rating system. For example, somebody that has posted on this thread has rated Funhouse 3 out of 10. To me, that is just as mental as rating ACDC 1 out of 10.

#43 7 years ago

Cant blame them that Rudy is sob sometimes!

#44 7 years ago

People exspect to much from the top 100. I don't really see anything wrong with it other then the abuse/sarcastic ratings given from time to time for what ever reason it's done at the time by the person who does it. There should be a "It's your opinion" disclaimer on the top of the ratings page.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from cireone:

rommy said:Russo can go in and change his rating at any time . He should.
    Agreed, he should. Rating games in this fashion completely destroys the purpose of the ratings system.

Ironically, that is exactly the point that he was trying to make by giving it a 1.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from Esohny:

Still puzzled at why the ratings are such a big deal to some. It's not like anyone profits by having games higher or lower on the list.

Ah, but they do. Some people think that if a pin that they own was rated higher on the Top 100 list that would make it more valuable when it comes time for them to sell it.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from Esohny:

Still puzzled at why the ratings are such a big deal to some.

True dat.
    The ratings can be informative and helpfull, but if you don't happen to agree with a rating, so what?
    I know people are passionate about pinball, but that doesn't mean that we can't respectfully disagree once in a while.
    What fun would it be if we all had the same opinions?
    I agree that "flame" ratings are pretty jerky though.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I know people are passionate about pinball, but that doesn't mean that we can't respectfully disagree once in a while.
    What fun would it be if we all had the same opinions?

agreed!

#49 7 years ago

You can disagree and have very productive debates or you can collapse to lower levels.

#50 7 years ago

<------ Grabs popcorn!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 50.00
    £ 12.00
    $ 159.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 49.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 109.99
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 15.75
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 14.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Hardware
    CPR Playfields
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside