(Topic ID: 304134)

I am sorry, but this is getting out of hand........

By vdojaq

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 141 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by metallik
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Tags on tags bro (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211119-134037_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    Puking Rainbows.gif
    68' Charger - painted - circa 1984 (resized).jpg
    7E920DB9-4A11-4D04-899F-0BBA5C5A5993 (resized).jpeg
    Barf (resized).jpg
    Bingo (resized).jpg
    quote-what-goes-up-must-come-down-isaac-newton-45-58-80 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider anony.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#97 2 years ago

I think a lot of people are listing at outrageous prices but aren't getting their asking price.

I'm seeing it in the arcade world for sure. Suddenly people are listing bad condition original DDR machines for $6k when they were less than $2k two years ago. The ads sit there for months because as hot as the market is right now that's just too much for what it is.

I did see a pirates listed for $30k CAD, seller says he got $25k... so not quite asking but still a lot!

#104 2 years ago

If you had asked me I would have sworn Supreme was a grocery store chain! had to google that one to see I was wrong

Wondering why a damn grocery store pin is so special

#107 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballizfun:

you're a generation off, X'ers were in arcades as kids still. after them there is no nostalgia hook.

Millenial apparently goes back to the mid 80's as well so some of us grew up in arcades but are still technically millenials. Of course I grew up with Mortal Kombat and DDR, not the classics but it still gives me the arcade nostalgia factor.

#110 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballizfun:

sure but being born in the mid 90's had you at arcade age in the mid 2000's and arcades basically were dead then. Sure there were a few but they were not the same as they were on the mid 80s and earlier, they were and still are mostly redemption. In the mid 80's your parents would give you a buck or two to play pinball at the front of the grocery store while they went to shop in peace. Games, vid and pinball, were everywhere. Family restaurants, laundromats, convenience stores, grocery stores, you name it and there was coin op games there. Those are the last generation that will have a true nostalgia for the games. Sure some of our kids might look back when they are older and say I remember dad having a game(s) in the house, but they won't look at it like we did. Our kids will look at them like we look at board games, just something that was in the house. Not something special that you go to do a a treat (which was really just our parents trying to get 20 minutes of quiet to do something).

Yeah this seems accurate but I think you missed one generation. They didn't go from being everywhere to being redemption games in one step. There was the mall/theatre arcade phase in between. That was my generation having been born in 85.

I was playing games like Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 2, Virtua Fighter when I was young but as home consoles became powerful enough to run the same version as the arcade it really twisted the knife.
    This bled into the early 2000s as arcades needed more and more fantastical hardware to compete with home consoles.
    Any arcade that's still around has been in a slow decline into redemption game madness for a decade now.

They've actually opened a few small arcades where I live, they are all 100% redemption games.

#121 2 years ago

An argument can be made that sales of niche machines like this at niche prices don't affect the pinball market at large at all.
    If it sells its going to some guy with more money than he knows what to do with and it will sit in the games room of this 3rd condo and get used once a year if lucky. Or some "influencer" to look cool in the background of instagram posts.

2 weeks later
    #122 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Today's "It's a free market" post! We can now close down Pinside for the rest of the day and start up again tomorrow.

He has a point beyond that though. If it doesn't sell the listing doesn't mean shit, anyone can list a machine at any price. The price it sells at is what matters.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider anony.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-am-sorry-but-this-is-getting-out-of-hand?tu=anony and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.