Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by aldo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Ok, I picked up a DOG of a Sega Space Jam, game turned out to be a hell of a lot worse off then I was lead to believe.... I have gotten ALL of the hacks out, gotten everything to work, except ONE STUPID THING, that I have been trying to get fixed for over a week, and for the past 4-5 hours!

In switch test, in the ball through, switch 4.. I have replaced it now 2 times, new diode, striped the wires for a fresh connection, and it tests fine.. I then play a game, it is working fine for maybe 3 multiballs.. then I let the balls drain, and it will not seem to recognize I am on my last ball.. so the multiball mode continues, I let the last ball go, it still thinks one is in play. I go to active switch, and every time 4 does not show as active, I move it a little, it shows active.. I tighten it up again.. shows active.. then the same situation.. play 3 or 4 multi balls, and again switch 4 stops reading... I just do not get it.. I do not know what else to try, or what makes it stop working, even though the wires are fine, the switch is brand new.. sometimes just the slightest touch on the switch and it shows active, other times I have to remove it, then put it back in... I have cleaned the trough, changed balls...

Guys please point out something stupid that I am missing here... this is the last issue of a massive series of issues with this POS game!!!!

Any thoughts welcome!

Steve

#2 9 years ago

That sounds weird. Is the switch staying snugly mounted or does it loosen when the problem starts? If so, there are products that lock the screws in or there are the little star washers that may help

#3 9 years ago

Have you put in a new diode board? I had a similar problem, except it was on the diode board side of things. I had to apply pressure to the diode board itself for the outhole switch to become active when the ball drained or else it wouldn't recognize it. My traces on my diode boarf where in kinda bad shape though. Have you tried testing continuity from the switch to the diode board also?

#4 9 years ago

don't smash it . send it my way.

#5 9 years ago

try adding a washer plate to the screws before tightening it down. it will prevent the squishing of the switch body and stop it from becoming sticky. Also check for improper assembly. Its common to have those washer plates missing and the spacer between the metal halves are also usually missing. Know what I mean?

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from marlboroa:

don't smash it . send it my way.

Ditto.

#7 9 years ago

Trying another switch... which is number 3.. There is not really much room in between for a washer plate.. not sure what your talking about..

Nothing at all is loose, that I know for sure..

#8 9 years ago

Switch number 3 in the game.. just tried a multi ball... SAME THING!!!!!!!! It seems like hitting the flippers a lot causes something to happen to this one particular switch.. it is the last through switch in the line before the upkicker that uses optos.. I am 100% at a loss.. and so friggen pissed!

#9 9 years ago

Hawk, I think I know what your talking about, I know I have none of those laying around, but it does not look like the other 4 have them either..

#10 9 years ago

Take a break from it. Watch some skinemax, have a beer.

#11 9 years ago

check your switch test when hitting the flippers. Sounds like you have a bad diode.

#12 9 years ago

It's safe to say the problem is not the switch. Sometimes it's easy to get locked in on one idea and then get frustrated when it doesn't work. I'd tale the night off, then I'd start fresh tomorrow checking every switch in that row and column for shoddy wire connection, broken diodes or shorted lugs.

Sounds like you did a commendable job bringing this dog back from almost certain death. Don't let the last little gremlin boil your blood!

#13 9 years ago

Oh, it is boiling.. that is for sure!!

I am sure your right.. The other issues were major, and got every dam one corrected, just one switch in a ball through... oh man.... it is really getting to me!

#14 9 years ago

Take a break and then take Hawk007s advise. Sounds like shorted switch or diode shenanigans to me

#15 9 years ago

It is so weird.. just tried it again... same thing.. lifted playfield, barely touched leg on the switch, right back on...

#16 9 years ago

Have a beer, and fap on it.

I know nothing about these games, but Halo2jak's advice seems to be worth looking into; if there's a separate board with diodes that goes with those switches, check it.

#17 9 years ago

Ok.... took some advice here.. walked away, with the owners book.. I think and I stress think, I got it..

I had replaced the switch, and grabbed a IN4004 diode out of the draw, with the first switch, got new ones in as I was out.. put second one in, grabbed IN4004, installed correctly.... worked.. then issue... I put in #3 Grabbed IN4004.... worked.. then out... then worked... then out.. figured out exactly how to make it stop working, during multiball, keep hitting flippers like crazy, grabbed a few jackpots, then flipped like crazy, then let ball drain.. then let second ball drain... still thought I had 2 balls on the playfield as it was still offering shots at jackpot...

Took advice, walked away, brought book, read book, book shows switches in through, book says use 4 IN4001 diodes.... SOOOOOO.... I removed IN4004 I had installed, replaced with IN4001.. two of the same tests, and the problem has not shown up again..

I THINK I got it..

Thank you guys for talking me off the ledge, otherwise this game would have been on CL tomorrow for 500 bucks as a semi working project, it was getting to me that bad!

Steve
Balboarules

#18 9 years ago

Something you said in that last post hit a nerve. You're not just touching the switch - you're lifting the playfield to get at it. Possible wiring problem? Maybe a wire broken internally that sometimes works but then doesn't when it gets moved or vibrated about?

We'll disregard all that . Congrats on the good detective work!

#19 9 years ago

Toy guy

I was thinking just like you.. the last few times I touched it, I just opened the coin door and did the touching.. still the same problem was happening, but good thinking there! I had the same thought.

I just tested again, problem seems gone... could that one diode being a few digits off really have caused this? I am asking those more in the know than me..

I was so proud that I was almost done with this game, I did the full stereo conversion on it yesterday, and then during play test, thinking I had it all beat... BOOM!

Again, thanks for all the support!

#20 9 years ago

Damn, that is a weird fix. It's above my knowledge level, but I thought the 4004 was identical to the 4001 in every way only rated slightly higher.

Maybe one of the Gurus will chime in and enlighten us.

#21 9 years ago

Lloyd?? Where art thou? All I know is I went though 3 4004's and had the issue each time.. put in 4001 seems to be gone...

All I keep thinking about is Cousin Eddie in Christmas vacation... "she falls in a well, eyes get crossed.. gets kicked by a mule, eyes go straight"...

#22 9 years ago

diodes can be bad right out of the box. They are funny that way... A 4001 is a low power 4004 . You just plain and simple had a bad diode. They will test good even .........until power is added then fail and test bad after that.

#23 9 years ago

Hawk

3 of them though? I mean you could be right, just seems odd that 3 were bad.

#24 9 years ago

i have a feeling this issue will resurface. I've had similar issues. What they always turned out to be is a crushed switch somewhere else not even related to the switch causing problems. Something smashes the prongs and diode on a switch somewhere else, causing grounding issues and makes the switch matrix do crazy shit. or another issue I had, someone put the diode on the wrong legs somewhere else, and put the diode on backwards. That also caused crazy shit at random times.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i have a feeling this issue will resurface. I've had similar issues. What they always turned out to be is a crushed switch somewhere else not even related to the switch causing problems. Something smashes the prongs and diode on a switch somewhere else, causing grounding issues and makes the switch matrix do crazy shit. or another issue I had, someone put the diode on the wrong legs somewhere else, and put the diode on backwards. That also caused crazy shit at random times.

I'd be surprised if it doesn't come back as well. I'd be looking to the prior switch in the same row/column.

#26 9 years ago

Comeon have faith, I say its fixed for good!

I just read this thread and the whole time I was thinking this was a diode issue. I know how goofy these switches act when the diode is on backwards. Here he had the wrong diode on and once he put the correct one on, problem solved.

Good Luck to the OP

#27 9 years ago

I'll just throw this out there... just because... maybe it'll help someone save some frustration someday

Quoted from Toyguy:

Something you said in that last post hit a nerve. You're not just touching the switch - you're lifting the playfield to get at it. Possible wiring problem? Maybe a wire broken internally that sometimes works but then doesn't when it gets moved or vibrated about?
We'll disregard all that . Congrats on the good detective work!

As I was reading this thread, until I got to toyguy's post, this is what I was going suggest too. That thought should never be disregarded in dealing with electronics, ever. It is an idea that most everyone would probably consider, but unfortunately that idea can be dismissed while troubleshooting, way too easily. If the problem does come back again, don't forget this idea is still a possibility also.

(kirkgun is now having flashbacks to some frustrating days of work, long ago)

Always assume the worst of wires and cables. Wires and cables sheathed in plastic are awful and terribly evil things (but don't use uninsulated wires please).

Don't ever trust a "momentary" continuity test (or any kind of "short-term" test) as an indication that wires are good when dealing with an intermittent problem. And by "short-term" test, I mean lasting weeks or months... argh...

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from kirkgun:

Always assume the worst of wires and cables. Wires and cables sheathed in plastic are awful and terribly evil things (but don't use uninsulated wires please).

I get what you are saying sort of, but really, issues due to wires internally breaking are some of the most rare I have come across in pinball machines. Most issues are connection issues (connectors, broken wires from lugs). Most internal wire break issues I have seen... in fact all of them that I can think of were in harnesses to moving parts such as the ringmaster head in CV, crane in LAH, and globe in JD.

Thinking it is a wire issue should be one of the last head scratcher attempts, which may be where we are here.

#29 9 years ago

I like joe t's post, keeping the faith!

But seriously, I hear you guys.. I was doing the same test over and over, and after putting in the 4001 it did not happen again after doing the exact same test five times in a row..

Please let it stay away!

Steve

#30 9 years ago

I wholeheartedly hope that your problem is fully solved.

I just find it funny that going with the 4001 over the 4004. That's like saying, I wasn't able to pull a 16' boat with an F-350 diesel because it was too much truck, then I hooked the boat up to a V6 F-150 and pulled the shit out of it. lol

Maybe the whole batch od 4004s was bad due to improper storage (by the supplier) or something?

In any event, congrats on the maintenance. Give us some pics to see what you've done to restore this machine.

#31 9 years ago

Ok.. the others were right, the problem just came back!

#32 9 years ago

Trace the wires of the switch and you'll probably find a break, loose wire, or shorted legs of a switch in the chain somewhere. It's a great opportunity to clean underneath the playfield and clean the subways as well.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Trace the wires of the switch and you'll probably find a break, loose wire, or shorted legs of a switch in the chain somewhere. It's a great opportunity to clean underneath the playfield and clean the subways as well.

+1

#34 9 years ago

Atomicboy,

100% agreed with everything you say. Internal conductor breakage is far less common than at connection points, in any application. Moving wires/harnesses more commonly will suffer internal breakage problems than non-moving ones.

It wasn't common in the field I used to work in either. And troubleshooting them in that field was very often a pain in the butt, requiring running additional "test" cables over long streches. The relative infrequency of the problem made diagnosing that particular problem, more difficult because it way down the list of things we would consider (and there was no outward appearing reason to suspect it). It's just what you have left when your other ideas aren't working. Simply disregarding the possibility, can lead to lots of wasted time/money (and frustration of course, more frustration than anything else with just a pinball machine).

We all tend to look for the types of problems we see most often, first. And that makes sense. It did happen often enough though (often it seemed to be a manufacturing defect of the wire, not something that happened as a result of use). But, as he said above, his problems were coming and going with manipulation and movement. That's why it makes more sense to me in this case than usual.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from kirkgun:

But, as he said above, his problems were coming and going with manipulation and movement. That's why it makes sense to me in this case.

At the point he is at it's time to check the daisy chained switches behind and after, and then I would maybe try some jumpers as well and see if that is a game changer.

Nothing in the trough preventing a ball from sitting right in there is there? Switch arm bent correctly, and isn't just at the range of activating the switch is it?

#36 9 years ago

Working my way though the chain now..

#37 9 years ago

No Atomic, nothing is preventing the ball from activating the switch, that is for sure..

I noticed the next in the chain seems to go out as well, the J target, so just replaced the diode on that one, and we did the wires to it, passed first test... but that of course means NOTHING... but hoping. The rest of the chain is not affected, even with 4 and J out.. the rest of the chain seems to be working.

Pressing on.

Steve

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

No Atomic, nothing is preventing the ball from activating the switch, that is for sure..
I noticed the next in the chain seems to go out as well, the J target, so just replaced the diode on that one, and we did the wires to it, passed first test... but that of course means NOTHING... but hoping. The rest of the chain is not affected, even with 4 and J out.. the rest of the chain seems to be working.
Pressing on.
Steve

You should test the diodes you're pulling on the DMM. Maybe you'll find one out of spec and you can have some higher confidence.

Also, is the trough on space jam reed switches and not standard micro switches?

#39 9 years ago

go into switch test and activate all switches one at a time until you find one that scores oddly..THEN check all switches it its associated row and column and you will find the problem. Sometimes banging on the playfield in switch test shows weirdness also. Look for multiple closures

#40 9 years ago

Do you have ball trough divots causing the balls to hang up? When the balls drain and you have the issue watch the trough to see if the balls move down like they are supposed to. Also watch when the multi ball starts to see if when it kicks two out, if the last 2 don't move down.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

Hawk
3 of them though? I mean you could be right, just seems odd that 3 were bad.

Should have been only 1 bad....more than likely there is another problem somewhere else.....And only 1 bad diode will cause all sorts of funniness though. Also check ALL switches at the edge of the playfield. Sometimes when going up and down a switch gets pinched....

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

Pressing on.
Steve

The power feeding these switches could also be bad. It is daisy chained from switch to switch .....clip your test leads on and buzz out the wires for the whole column or row while wiggling them

#43 9 years ago

Nothing hanging up the ball, no divots.. Going to try banging on the playfield if it fails again, last test it passed.

Not reed switches on through, standard roll over switches

#44 9 years ago

I just skimmed through this and I'm not sure if someone has said this or not. The top half of your CPU board is where all your switches connect. Look at what color wires are on the switch your having problems with. Take a volt meter and check the voltage at the switch. Then compare it to the voltage on that same wire at the board. They should be the same, if not your gonna be wire hunting. If they are the same it sounds like you might be having a switch matrix problem on the board.

#45 9 years ago

You can do a test to isolate the playfield by removing the sw. matrix connectors and going into test mode and see if problem is still there

#46 9 years ago

Ok, just checked each switch in the matrix.. noticed something odd.. the right sling that was also part of the matrix, was not working in active test either when pressed, took a good look under, and noticed that the blue/white wire that makes up this matrix was separated on opposite sides of a diode... never saw that before, usually they are always twisted together.. so I corrected that, and play testing now...

Could that have been it???

#47 9 years ago

Yes, that could have been the issue as its on the same row as the trough switch

These things are also not necessarily wired from left to right like the chart in the manual says. They're probably the last two in the chain with the trough being on the end. I will be surprised if this does not correct it.

#48 9 years ago

Wow, that sounds odd! Maybe that was it?! I'm interested to see if that fixed it...

#49 9 years ago

So far about 15 games in, J target still working, #4 in trough working, and it knows exactly when I am down to the last ball in multiball.. I THINK this may have been the problem, the white/blue wires which are normally twisted together, were separate on opposite ends of a diode...

#50 9 years ago

that was it for 95% sure. by every fault you described and it usually is something that simple
Enjoy..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-am-seriously-about-to-smash-this-space-jam-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.