(Topic ID: 7105)

I am really interested in Iron Man, but I have never had the chance to play one.

By shanetastic

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by genex
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ironman2-4.jpg
IMAG0927.jpg
#1 12 years ago

I have never bought a machine that I haven't played before, but I am seriously considering it.

It would also be nice to be able to buy a machine that I wouldn't have to completely tear down as soon as I get it. I just want to play the dang game for a change!

Should I do it if one becomes available? How much would you think a nice HUO would go for?

#2 12 years ago

You won't get that much of a discount on one, seeing as it's only been out for like a year. Usually the value doesn't drop that fast unless the machine is a dud - which IM certainly isn't.

You should really try to find one and give it a play though - it's not a good idea to buy a pin in a poke. I'm sure not everyone loves Iron Man, though it's one of Stern's best games.

#3 12 years ago
Quoted from DrAzzy:

You should really try to find one and give it a play though

+1
It is one of the best Sterns but some people are disapointed by the speed and fast drains so it isn't for everyone.

#4 12 years ago

I really enjoyed it but it is my least favorite of the Stern Superhero machines. Just barely behind Batman. I liked Spiderman the best, easily.
It is fast and has fast drains but who cares if you own one.. it isn't like you have to keep pumping quarters in it if your games end quickly.

#5 12 years ago

It's a fun pin. Rules are not deep (I saw that as a positive) given the quick play. A number of owners move the lane posts in to lengthen play times. However, I wouldn't own it as your one and only pin, but it's a nice addition to a multi-pin collection. A lot of guys knock it for the lack of PF features but for IM it works. Good design, good lighting effects, etc. I consider it one of Stern's better pins.

#6 12 years ago

its a great machine. super fun and fast. the only downside i see and hear about it (my friend has one) is that the Iron Monger gets beat to hell. i think the toys, art, and gameplay make it an awesome machine. i'd say just under SM, but above Avatar, RS, BBH..i compare it to tron in a lot of ways, but it plays nothing like tron.

#7 12 years ago

Seems like it would fit nicely into your collection. But I would highly suggest you find one to play before purchasing it. You never really know until you get some play on a machine.

#8 12 years ago

I would say it's in the middle between Tron and Avatar.

#9 12 years ago

Find a shop that has one for sale and try before you buy, I was lucky enough to find a place that had both iron man and spiderman. then it comes down to personal preference

#10 12 years ago

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Now the search begins for an IM to play... I wouldn't mind playing a Tron and Spiderman, too. Maybe one of them will call to me more then the others.

#11 12 years ago

There's 2 Auction's coming up.. I want something I haven't had and what Other's Want..

I know a member Here that want's to Trade his 2010 IM for a Nice Cond- TAF ( Even ).. I'm Work-n on that Deal..

#12 12 years ago

Love my IM. One of the best pins that I've ever owned.

#13 12 years ago

Come by and play a few free games on Iron Pimpman!

IMAG0927.jpgIMAG0927.jpg

#14 12 years ago

I really like the game. Simple rules, fast play, good flow. Love the war machine kick back, Iron Monger toy, and long ramps.

If you just want to get a quick game in, this is the machine.

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

Come by and play a few free games on Iron Pimpman!

Just a quick road trip up there...

If I played the legendary Pimpman, I would never be satsfied with plain old Iron Man. Is that for sale?

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

If you just want to get a quick game in, this is the machine.

That is exactly what I am looking for. I have TZ and RS for the longer games. I need some shorter ball times to mix it up. Guests hate waiting for 5 to 10 minutes per ball when I am hot on those. I need something that can kick everyone's butt equally.

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from shanetastic:

Guests hate waiting for 5 to 10 minutes per ball when I am hot ...

I know what you mean. I am always reluctant to play TZ against my non-pinhead friends. They end up just sitting there and watching me dominate the game. That's why I love having a game like Tommy. The short ball times make it an ideal game to play against my guests.

#18 12 years ago

IM is a fun pin for sure!
GAP seems to have a couple different color options as well shanetastic. His prices are pretty reasonable for what you get, compared to the stock machine.
I would definitely get the complete FF kit to heighten the sound effects/music/gameplay.
One of my favorite immersive moments of play was when the firefight sequence started up.
I was hooked from there...
Great flow, decent aftermarket mods available too. (Whiplash, etc...)
Plus, how can you NOT throw this baby on top of it!
ironman2-4.jpgironman2-4.jpg

Drooooooooollllllll......

#19 12 years ago

I played it a few weeks ago and liked the game quite a bit. It was fun and had a hood flow to it.
{ also like Spider Man as well

#21 12 years ago

Don't know how far away you're trying to go shane, but there's one at a 'Fun land' about 225 miles away from you. Very unfortunate, I'm within walking distance of one by my house.

http://www.pinballrebel.com/locator/searchlocationresult.php?stateselect=AL&distance=250&zipcenter=27292&showmap=no&latitude=35.8240265&longitude=-80.2533838&lastaddress=Lexington+NC&latitude=35.767626&longitude=-80.230831

#22 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I know what you mean. I am always reluctant to play TZ against my non-pinhead friends. They end up just sitting there and watching me dominate the game

Word!
Your excellent at TZ Gweem

#23 12 years ago

I don't have anything constructive to add other than join the IM love fest. It is one of my favorite games. It has that "one more game" aspect that keeps drawing you back in. Simple rules and objectives, difficult to achieve them. Great sound, great looking, and fast.

#24 12 years ago

Best part of my IM is playing with friends. The game is so brutally difficult and random at times, that it really levels the playing field when I'm playing against my friends who don't play pinball on the regular. The short ball times mean they aren't bored to death while watching each other play.

As far as the comment of the Iron Monger toy taking a beating, I have over 1,500 games on mine and it's fine and dandy. Just make sure that whoever you buy it from (if used) has put mylar around the magnets. I've seen IM's on location that are down to the bare wood b/c they weren't protected (Playdium in Mississauga).

#25 12 years ago

Regarding the Iron Monger toy, they aren't made any more but you can still get them on Amazon and eBay. I picked up an extra one just in case. It looks like the price has gone up since I bought mine, I paid $10.96 plus shipping. Make sure you get the 4 inch model.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036UW2L6/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details

#26 12 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Regarding the Iron Monger toy, they aren't made any more but you can still get them on Amazon

Is this the same toy that comes on the pinball machine, or just a similar replacement???

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Regarding the Iron Monger toy, they aren't made any more but you can still get them on Amazon and eBay. Make sure you get the 4 inch model.

+1.

Stern did inject silicon into it however. I found that out when I added the chest LED mod. I bought a spare to prototype the LED mod but when I drilled the Iron Monger that came with the pin I discovered the silicon...so much for my prototype...working through the silicon was tricky.

Anyway, second that Iron Monger holds up very well. Mine looks just like new despite the pounding it takes.

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from shanetastic:

Is this the same toy that comes on the pinball machine, or just a similar replacement???

Its exactly the same; but as I noted above, Stern injected silicon into it.

#29 12 years ago

I love taking every chance to talk Iron man so here goes. Been through alot of Pins and for me this is the last to go, a true keeper. Right now i have it next to a TZ and a Tron LE.

TZ and IM are perfect opposites - you know the story there. TZ is the best of the stop/go while IM is the best of the fast/flow.

Tron LE is somewhere in the middle, so i am happy for the balance. Better game? IM by a nice margin. Tron is fun, but IM has something magical.

I also had an SM here. Lots more to do in SM - modes etc, but, not as fun as IM is - not the same rush.

Where IM succeeds is the "just one more" factor. After your game is up, no other game calls you back for another start like this. Its addictive.

The layout at first glance tells you there is nothing to do. But there is - lots of shots, lots of options of what to go for. The ruleset makes it possible - go for Do or Die or Jericho? Try and master the villians to carry their "lights" over to the next ball?

As far as challenge, i have over 1500 on my HUO, and it still handles me well. BUT - i have learned the table like no other, i have a lot of control of the ball now. This is one game that has made me a better player. Still, the game gets my heart pounding. Only TZ can do that to you when i near LITZ - with IM you get there faster.

Good luck with one and let us know.

#30 12 years ago

I love IM. That's all.

Good luck!

#31 12 years ago

I love Iron Man. Maybe next year.

#32 12 years ago
Quoted from shanetastic:

I need some shorter ball times to mix it up. Guests hate waiting for 5 to 10 minutes per ball when I am hot on those. I need something that can kick everyone's butt equally.

You Need a BSD .. I know , because you Suck @ play-n mine.. LOL

#33 12 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

You Need a BSD .. I know , because you Suck @ play-n mine.. LOL

I would like to get a decent game going one of these days on BSD. For whatever reason, I can't hit what I am aiming at on that one. Maybe it is the lightning flippers. I just don't know.. but it really frustrates me.

#34 12 years ago
Quoted from shanetastic:

It would also be nice to be able to buy a machine that I wouldn't have to completely tear down as soon as I get it. I just want to play the dang game for a change!

Well that sure would be a nice change for all of us B/W guys, wouldn't it?

LOL.

I hear ya Shane on the new Sterns: I just added an HUO FGY about a month ago. Damned thing even smells brand new inside.

Sure is a whole new (work-free) ball game.

I mean I just took two ramps off my AFM to re-rubber it the other day. One thing led to another and soon it was down to the pops to polish everything on the buffer.

But then I noticed the skirts were worn--so out came the pops.

Well that's half-way there, so I couldn't stop (what would be the point of putting CQ-detailed pieces on a nice but slightly-worn PF)...you guessed it: now I'm sending the PF out for restoration & clear coat.

#36 12 years ago

You don't want that, Gorilla. It has been neutered and is not worth the money. No magnets, I think the War Machine kickback is gone, cheap cabinet, some flashers removed, and maybe a few other things I can't remember.

This morning my 5 yr old son had a 10 million first ball and was over 17 million on ball three. That's a respectable score for a 5 yr old. So I'm standing back watching so I don't make him nervous and I see him just let the ball drain. I question him on why in the world he did that when he had such a good game going. He said they were counting down and got to one so he let it drain. Evidently Fast Scoring must have been running and was timing out and he figured he was supposed to let the ball drain because it was "over." Time for some lessons on pinball rules I guess.

#37 12 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

You don't want that, Gorilla. It has been neutered and is not worth the money. No magnets, I think the War Machine kickback is gone, cheap cabinet, some flashers removed, and maybe a few other things I can't remember.

As I suspected. With tax and shipping it was over $4200, too.

Meh

#38 12 years ago

The Iron Monger toy is stunningly durable. Even the laziest operators, on a machine that gets the hell played out of it (at a local bar - so poorly maintained that the playfield is all dark with crud, looks like those photos of old machines that never got cleaned, when it's a year old), visible wear near the magnets, etc - but the Iron Monger looks mint.

What the hell is the point of Iron Man without the magnets + warmachine kicker? I'd remove the pop bumpers before the magnets! I think it would be playable (though the design would seem strange) without the Whiplash magnet, but without the Iron Monger magnet, a major gameplay mechanic is gone. And the warmachine kicker really adds to the speed of the game - good for drilling into you as a player to NOT HOLD FLIPPERS UP unless you have a good reason to (eg, catch, pass, etc).

#39 12 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

So the best buy versions are downgraded even past the standard edition? Where does it say that?
No wonder Gary considered that a failure if the ones they're selling are more subpar than the average version.

I was still going to consider an iron man if Best Buy ended up putting them on clearance if they didn't sell for the xmas season.

#40 12 years ago

Found my post from the last time this was discussed:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ironman-classic#post-50652

Here's what is different/missing on the Classic version:
-No magnets
-Pressboard cabinet
-Coin door is just a flat plate
-PCBs are mounted in the bottom of the cabinet
-Cabinet art is a little different
-Inserts are LEDs boards (other bulbs may be too, I'm not sure)
-Free play only.
-Kicker removed from War Machine (I'd like someone to verify this)
-Whiplash Toy removed.
-Missing some flasher dome lights

#41 12 years ago
Quoted from Blakesell:

So the best buy versions are downgraded even past the standard edition? Where does it say that?
No wonder Gary considered that a failure if the ones they're selling are more subpar than the average version.

I thought bestbuy had both the de-fanged cheapo versions and the "Pro" version.

1 year later
#42 10 years ago

Just really discovered this machine and really like it now. It was the first game I played in a tournament (randomly walked into the Rose City Showdown in 2012 and entered). I tilted on ball one almost immediately and found it to be incredibly hard and stayed away from it a while. Recently I've been playing it more and really liking it. Can't wait to play more of it this weekend in Vegas at Flipperspiel and the Riviera!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.95
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-am-really-interested-in-iron-man-but-i-have-never-had-the-chance-to-play-one and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.