(Topic ID: 230648)

I am pinned out!

By bladerunner

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“I am pinned out!”

• I am pinned out 40 votes
      17%
    • Nothing has changed 25 votes
      11%
    • I am buying more pins 44 votes
      19%
    • I am very picky on new purchases 120 votes
      52%

(229 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2o9xvq (resized).jpg
    0630182231a (resized).jpg
    fullsizeoutput_d40 (resized).jpeg
    0FB5E40F-3229-4107-BF88-8FECB8D39810 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4598 (resized).JPG
    There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

For the first time for the last 10 plus years that I have been collecting pins, I feel like the constant itch I had to get a new or more pins has vanished. This is despite some of the new games being so incredible. Only thing I can think of is the increase in supply. I guess it is good for my wallet!

#2 5 years ago

Go see your Doctor. Sounds like something might be wrong - maybe you have depression or something.

Hope you feel better soon.

#3 5 years ago

Lol yeah go see your doctor

#4 5 years ago

I’m out of space.. so I’m picky on new purchases.

#5 5 years ago

I’m looking at your collection and I hope I get pinned out before it hits the high 20’s. I’m nearing 10 and I find it difficult to play each game on a weekly basis. It gets to be a huge investment and time consuming to justify the cost. Maybe the games from Deep Root will revitalize you. I’m at the younger end of the spectrum of collectors and I’m much more interested in newer titles coming than past titles. I know that’s heresy around here but I get the new COD each year and never play the old games as the new ones come , the thought of a Multicade seems great but I see tons of them up on Craigslist and EBay used.
    I like the idea of nostalgia but at the end of the day I prefer innovation.
    On the contrary, The difficulty of pinball does keep them fresh and wizard modes that most of us will never see keep us playing.
    The other thing I’d mention is how many games that are being released and that increase is definitely a factor. No one with a PS4 thinks they have to play every game or no one with a Netflix subscription thinks they have to watch every program. At least we are getting to a place where we can be picky and it will eventually alter the secondary market.

#6 5 years ago

You don’t appear to be pinned out to me. 42 games?

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from bladerunner:

For the first time for the last 10 plus years that I have been collecting pins, I feel like the constant itch I had to get a new or more pins has vanished. This is despite some of the new games being so incredible. Only thing I can think of is the increase in supply. I guess it is good for my wallet!

It wiill return
    George likes the new pins, He goes nuts when they arrive at your house

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

Lol yeah go see your doctor

Or call your Papa

#9 5 years ago

I find myself second guessing so I have desired not to buy a thing till spring. I want Oktoberfest and looking forward to Munsters but time will tell on that one.
    2019 should be a banner year for releases if DR does what they say. Will be a buyers market come Summer.

#10 5 years ago

Try some non dmd games to re ignite the flame.

#11 5 years ago

Agree with Hooked

If Deeproot does what it says, the market of Pins will have many choices in 2019.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from bladerunner:

There is a whole slew of games made before 1990 that you appear to have fully ignored.

Honestly, some of the best games EVER made and since they dont rely on modes and instead they are pure points, you may find they hold their allure longer for you.

Go try out a few of the real classics from Bally (EBD, Frontier, Centaur), maybe branch out to a Gottlieb (some great games also)

No offense but your collection is really all about 1992+ and I get pretty bored of those also.

#13 5 years ago

Old games are definitely fun too. I find just about any pin enjoyable. Some you need to play a few more than others to get into them.

#14 5 years ago

Rises and falls with the following:

What’s available
    My interest
    Available cash on hand or ability to sell a game

I can’t think of any recent years that I just sat idle and didn’t move more in and out than I planned.

The only constant has been increasing prices on NIB. It’s getting a bit high for my tastes.

#15 5 years ago

NIB are climbing for sure. Stock up now and save. LOL

#16 5 years ago

So you just got 4 new games in the last couple months
    You own 42 games
    You are temporarily satisfied

....Wait two weeks and this rare-uneasy feeling will subside-There is no hope for the satisfied man.

Lots of good stuff coming soon

#17 5 years ago

Started to think about it- Will I ever be pinned out? I really do not think so, It is a serious addiction and the thought of obtaining the next pin never leaves my mind. I grow attached to them and then sometimes let them go for new ones. Meanwhile regretting selling the old one's for new one's. It is a toxic cycle, wanting to get old one's back, while wanting new one's. Pinball Addiction>Crack>Nicotine>Caffeine>Etc.

#18 5 years ago

There's not much left I haven't owned that I care to own. There's some titles out there, but they are the more expensive ones and where I work pretty much has every title that I haven't owned and would like to, so I'm still around them regularly. So, I kind of get it. The long list of got to have titles I used to have is quite short now and I'm pretty much wholly happy with my personal collection so not a lot of movement within the room either.

#19 5 years ago

Yeah if I had 42 games I would probably be over it too.

#20 5 years ago

i feel ya! there myself! last few games produced by stern or jjp has sparked no interest in owning. im sure it shall pass. thank god cgc has brought back some classics that most of us could of never owned.

#21 5 years ago

I feel you, there are a lot of pins I feel pressured to enjoy but just can’t get excited about. I’m lucky to have pretty good location pinball in my area so that helps. I am mainly wanting pre 1995 games because other stuff is available to me. That being said
    if you decide to sell that Starship Troopers holler at your boy, I’m just one state over.

#22 5 years ago

LOL. Based on some people's collections in this thread, I wonder what it's like to basically have what appears to be unlimited income and space and say "man, sure wish there were more games I liked..."

Must be tough. Hope you pull through.

#23 5 years ago

Same here. Must be something that haionce you hit 40. Pins not years. Actually in the past 5 years I’ve did quite a bit of down sizing. I’m just sticking to what I have for a while. Biggest issue for m is the mass increase in pricing.

#24 5 years ago

I find it tough at 20 games, cant imagine twice as much. Trying to sell 5 or 6 by spring.

#25 5 years ago

I'll run out of room long before I get "pinned out", and since I can't see myself selling off anything, that's gonna be a problem.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from HOOKED:

I find myself second guessing so I have desired not to buy a thing till spring. I want Oktoberfest and looking forward to Munsters but time will tell on that one.
    2019 should be a banner year for releases if DR does what they say. Will be a buyers market come Summer.

Yeah, so much stuff happening in 2019. I am in a holding pattern. What will Deeproot do? What will Steve Ritchie's unlicensed theme be like? What will Brian Eddy's first pin in years be? Will Elvira with Lyman on code be released? Is Toy Story next from JJP? Lots to look forward to.

All that potential choice, limited space, limited cash, and the fact that I love all my current games means I am getting pretty picky.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheGunnett:

I’m looking at your collection and I hope I get pinned out before it hits the high 20’s. I’m nearing 10 and I find it difficult to play each game on a weekly basis. It gets to be a huge investment and time consuming to justify the cost. Maybe the games from Deep Root will revitalize you. I’m at the younger end of the spectrum of collectors and I’m much more interested in newer titles coming than past titles. I know that’s heresy around here but I get the new COD each year and never play the old games as the new ones come , the thought of a Multicade seems great but I see tons of them up on Craigslist and EBay used.
    On the contrary, The difficulty of pinball does keep them fresh and wizard modes that most of us will never see keep us playing.
    The other thing I’d mention is how many games that are being released and that increase is definitely a factor. No one with a PS4 thinks they have to play every game or no one with a Netflix subscription thinks they have to watch every program. At least we are getting to a place where we can be picky and it will eventually alter the secondary market.

Wow, well said

#28 5 years ago

If you are satisfied, then you have reached a great point with the hobby. Sometime I enjoy pinball for the play, the repair/restoration, the modification and design, the hunt for a specific game, etc. And then other times, I just need a break to enjoy another hobby (hiking, travel, reading, photography, etc.) But for some reason, I always (eventually) come back to pinball. Whatever you sink your hobby time into next, I have a feeling you will deeply enjoy it (and then will come back to really enjoy your collection and the pursuit of another game).

#29 5 years ago

Big to being pinned out at owning 42 from me, but I do feel where you're coming from. Difference is I've downsized as I've felt that way. Never had 42 games, maxed out at 11 at once, but now I have 4. Until you start liquidating games you're not really serious about it imo.

Quoted from TheGunnett:

I prefer good games, and I don't care what era they're from. Not just in pinball, gaming in general. Lot of modern gaming trends are the opposite of innovative.

#30 5 years ago

Hold on didn’t you just buy MBr LE?! You probably haven’t even received it yet and your pinned out?! I’d be freakin pumped to have your collection.

#31 5 years ago

Yup, when I get burned out, sell some pins or just don't turn them on for 3-4 month.

#32 5 years ago

For people who play their pins, a higher high-score always motivates another play on any game that is reasonably difficult. Of course you get pinned out when you spend nearly $10k on another pretty box of lights that sits next to your other dozen $6k+ boxes of blinking lights you've bought in the last 4 years. Some guys are more about the acquisition. Others are more about the brag. Still others are more about competing with internet 'peers'.

To be honest with y'all, it's this kind of distasteful, boorish behavior that really spoils this board for people like me. It's really not that impressive to fill out an internet form and spend two hours setting up a new machine for a hundred plays. Of course this is followed by the mandatory photo posts and complaints of space limitations replete with images of McClaren's and mansions. It's cool that you can buy what you want, but ownership does not demonstrate mastery. You never see these guys buying games other than new or near new from other collectors because that's mostly what they are good at.

If you are pinned out, I'd ask when the last time you set a high score was. Chances are it's on a game you've played less than 100 times.

Affluenza has strange symptoms.

#33 5 years ago

I live in a cold weather state. During the summers, I rarely play pinball and question whether I still want to be in the hobby.

As soon as the snow flies, I'm playing almost every day and contemplating what pin I should buy next.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Until you start liquidating games you're not really serious about it imo.

Exactly. I have moved away from the "bolted to the floor" mentality finally.

It won't take me 42 pins to get "pinned out", that's for sure.

2019 is gonna bring a ton of new games and lower prices on the secondary market.

#35 5 years ago

I see your had lots of other games on the past. I’m at 41 (42 counting TNA that’s on order). So far they’re all bolted to the floor. I keep saying “no more”, but The Munsters is teasing me!

#36 5 years ago

I have lost the spark as well after 11 years in the hobby.
    I do not buy new games because they are out of my hobby budget.

I have 4 projects in the cue.
    This made a switch click in my head.
    This is becoming like a job.
    I am thinning my herd.
    I will keep only 4 games once I am thinned. I will have only ONE project going at any time. ( 5 games total)

I also plan on buying games restored by others. Then there is not much to do to get them in shape.
    At 4 games, I will be 1 in and 1 out.
    Whatever I am not playing as much as the others will be sold.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from bladerunner:

If you are burned out, be sure to send south park and family guy my way

You have a killer pin collection!

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

I am thinning my herd.
    I will keep only 4 games once I am thinned. I will have only ONE project going at any time. ( 5 games total)
    I also plan on buying games restored by others. Then there is not much to do to get them in shape.

Sounds like one of those New Years resolutions - membership at the Health club which goes gangbusters in January and forgotten in February.

Losing pins and pounds goes about the same with me. They both come back.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from NoQuarters:

Too funny and too true!

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from bladerunner:

Dibs on your Creech if/when you start thinning the herd. Wouldn’t mind driving down to FL again...especially this time of year!

#41 5 years ago

The price of new and used pins has caused me to lose a lot of interest in the hobby. To buy a pin it takes a very special game based on a theme I love. I'd be in on a Tron Vault if that ever happens, have a couple others I'd buy for the right price but that's about it. I really like TNA, but can't bring myself to pay 6K for one. I gave up on finding a Paragon, impossible for me to find, I'm on the list for a CPR playfield and am going to hang it on the wall.

#42 5 years ago

Some great thoughts in this thread. I enjoyed them. Points I took home. I find the "shut up you spoiled brat" comments unnecessary but they do not bother me.
    1/ I guess it is really not that bad as I have not started liquidating. We all have our reasons to sell. For me it is when I find myself not playing a game anymore. Right now only DM and WH20 are the ones I play last. I actually play all my other pins. I play pinball 5 or 6 days a week, mostly after work or weekends. I actually have a couple pins in the office. GOT and FG.
    2/ I just enjoy playing and even when I getting a new high score, it means less to me now than finding a new feature on a game I may have played a lot. I do not even save the high scores anymore. I also enjoy mods and pimping the pins, it is fun for me.
    3/ I wonder how answers would have been if I had kept my collection private. But I find it more honest just to leave it out there. Why cannot we all get along?
    4/ I actually cancelled my MBr purchase.
    5/ A friend offered to loan me one of his EM or SS. Maybe my taste has evolved that way?

#43 5 years ago

Interesting poll so far. Over 70% are pinned out or picky

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from bladerunner:

Some great thoughts in this thread. I enjoyed them. Points I took home. I find the "shut up you spoiled brat" comments unnecessary but they do not bother me.
    1/ I guess it is really not that bad as I have not started liquidating. We all have our reasons to sell. For me it is when I find myself not playing a game anymore. Right now only DM and WH20 are the ones I play last. I actually play all my other pins. I play pinball 5 or 6 days a week, mostly after work or weekends. I actually have a couple pins in the office. GOT and FG.
    2/ I just enjoy playing and even when I getting a new high score, it means less to me now than finding a new feature on a game I may have played a lot. I do not even save the high scores anymore. I also enjoy mods and pimping the pins, it is fun for me.
    3/ I wonder how answers would have been if I had kept my collection private. But I find it more honest just to leave it out there. Why cannot we all get along?
    5/ A friend offered to loan me one of his EM or SS. Maybe my taste has evolved that way?

I would reorder that MBr!

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from bladerunner:

Did you get any grief about the pre-order $1k to be refunded?

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

I am thinning my herd.

Is Space Mission one in “the cue” and a keeper? I just getting a new found interest in 70s EMs and picked up a nice Soace Mission to place next to my Grand Prix.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from NoQuarters:

Sounds like one of those New Years resolutions - membership at the Health club which goes gangbusters in January and forgotten in February.

The best machine purchase I made this fall isn’t pinball. It’s a workout bike for home. Really nice one with touchscreen monitor

I try and do 30 minutes a day. Getting to the gym was happening maybe twice a week

Getting in shape. Maybe a life saver!

#48 5 years ago

Don’t let Sad Sack bother you Blade, he’s always a grumpy dude, hence the name

I’m wondering what you have done with respect to estate planning for those pins?

Do you have a buddy that will sell them for your estate when you pass?

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

Did you get any grief about the pre-order $1k to be refunded?

Long story but no.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Don’t let Sad Sack bother you Blade, he’s always a grumpy dude, hence the name
    I’m wondering what you have done with respect to estate planning for those pins?
    Do you have a buddy that will sell them for your estate when you pass?

I take good care of myself! don't be morbid, lol!
    My favorite cardio machine is the Concept 2 rower. Look it up. Will be happy to pm you advice if you want. I know what I am talking about)

There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-am-pinned-out?hl=frippertron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.