(Topic ID: 230648)

I am pinned out!

By bladerunner

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“I am pinned out!”

• I am pinned out 40 votes
      17%
    • Nothing has changed 25 votes
      11%
    • I am buying more pins 44 votes
      19%
    • I am very picky on new purchases 120 votes
      52%

(229 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2o9xvq (resized).jpg
    0630182231a (resized).jpg
    fullsizeoutput_d40 (resized).jpeg
    0FB5E40F-3229-4107-BF88-8FECB8D39810 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4598 (resized).JPG
    There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from bladerunner:

I take good care of myself! don't be morbid, lol!
    My favorite cardio machine is the Concept 2 rower. Look it up. Will be happy to pm you advice if you want. I know what I am talking about)

Cool. I might just do that! That might be the perfect compliment to my Expresso Go bike

#52 5 years ago

Iceman, this is my favorite bike. It will destroy you!

IMG_4598 (resized).JPGIMG_4598 (resized).JPG
    #53 5 years ago
    Quoted from bladerunner:

Iceman, this is my favorite bike. It will destroy you![quoted image]

And you can find these on Craigslist often for half the price with little to no use. Mostly due to the failed new years resolution to lose weight and exercise more...

#54 5 years ago

Don’t want to go to far off track here but the “water rower” looks like a great all around workout?

#55 5 years ago

I have been there. I only made it up to 16 machines, then suddenly felt very burned out. I have sold down to 7 currently. Kept a few modern, low-maintenance machines. Much happier with my current lineup. I figure I'll stick with 7-8 for a while.

#56 5 years ago

Pinned out?? How about worn out with all the pins you have and the ones had in the past it must have been a lot of work just moving them around. I guess the bike is the way to go to keep the body healthy. Awesome collection and its nice they are all still being played. Would love to see your pin room if you feel like posting a pic.

#57 5 years ago

I think anything over 10-15 and it becomes quite troublesome to keep them all working correctly. feels like you can never get caught up, so you tend to get aggravated having to work on something all the time.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

For people who play their pins, a higher high-score always motivates another play on any game that is reasonably difficult. Of course you get pinned out when you spend nearly $10k on another pretty box of lights that sits next to your other dozen $6k+ boxes of blinking lights you've bought in the last 4 years. Some guys are more about the acquisition. Others are more about the brag. Still others are more about competing with internet 'peers'.
    To be honest with y'all, it's this kind of distasteful, boorish behavior that really spoils this board for people like me. It's really not that impressive to fill out an internet form and spend two hours setting up a new machine for a hundred plays. Of course this is followed by the mandatory photo posts and complaints of space limitations replete with images of McClaren's and mansions. It's cool that you can buy what you want, but ownership does not demonstrate mastery. You never see these guys buying games other than new or near new from other collectors because that's mostly what they are good at.
    If you are pinned out, I'd ask when the last time you set a high score was. Chances are it's on a game you've played less than 100 times.
    Affluenza has strange symptoms.

LOL I've noticed this around here too. Every game for sale 'has less than 100 plays!'. Either it's bunk, or these people have too much money. I've had my AC/DC for a week and I've already put more than 100 games on it (because I suck).

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

Is Space Mission one in “the cue” and a keeper?

Go ahead and restore yours.

I have had SM for about a year and a half.
    If you have looked at my collection, you know what I have.

Space Mission is the first game I go to. It is simple but always a fun play.
    Right now it is a keeper.

I also have other arcade games besides pinball, mostly EM.( no video games except a Megatouch 2009).

Cue is South Park, High Speed, Twin Rifle by CC and Williams Music Mite. Probably not in that order.

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

The best machine purchase I made this fall isn’t pinball. It’s a workout bike for home. Really nice one with touchscreen monitor
    I try and do 30 minutes a day. Getting to the gym was happening maybe twice a week
    Getting in shape. Maybe a life saver!

How many modes on that Bike ? Is the code good ? Do you keep high scores ?

#61 5 years ago

Exercise Bike has to be a single player. Probably pretty boring if you have friends over.

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

I think anything over 10-15 and it becomes quite troublesome to keep them all working correctly. feels like you can never get caught up, so you tend to get aggravated having to work on something all the time.

Honestly I think once you pass 6 that's true. 6 is imo the magic number between "a lot of pins" and "too many pins" where too many isn't a bad thing or a judgement, but just in the realm of becoming a thing unto itself.

#63 5 years ago

I think the true issue is selling a pin and then getting it again. I have done this too many times it's embarrassing.

#64 5 years ago

42 pins is too much. I went from 15 down to 7. I enjoy having less machines and I could not imagine having 42 at once, no wonder your pinned out.

#65 5 years ago

Found myself feeling similar to you. Munsters LE, ordered, little interest other than that. Used to want every NIB.
    Still fun hobby.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Don’t want to go to far off track here but the “water rower” looks like a great all around workout?

I love my water rower. Good workout and love the sound.

0FB5E40F-3229-4107-BF88-8FECB8D39810 (resized).jpeg0FB5E40F-3229-4107-BF88-8FECB8D39810 (resized).jpeg
    #67 5 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

I love my water rower. Good workout and love the sound. [quoted image]

Did you build that??? If so, well done!

#68 5 years ago

To me the anxiety of having machines that are down or not working right and having too many to find time to fix would be the moment I am taking a breather. Right now at six sometimes I feel that, but it’s mostly budget that holds me back. If I can get one new game a year I think I would be happy. Prices are still very high and IMHO it’s easier to just wait and get one of the 3-4 sterns a year and not have to fix much vs getting an older game and be under the hood more.

#69 5 years ago

im not pined out, but i now know what i like, and that is the direction im going
    i cannot see me ever buying an LCD game, that and color chanfing LEDs i dont like

mid 70s to mid 90s are the games i like

#70 5 years ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

I live in a cold weather state. During the summers, I rarely play pinball and question whether I still want to be in the hobby.
    As soon as the snow flies, I'm playing almost every day and contemplating what pin I should buy next.

Pretty much this is me every year. And every year it seems I buy something else in the winter. I wish I would do something when there isn't snow to have to truck through to my walk out... My friends are probably done with my shit after this year lol

#71 5 years ago

It comes and goes. I've been collecting since 1996 and there were several times I did nothing pinball related for a couple years in a row. I've recently started operating games and it adds a new facet to the hobby where money is coming in instead of out. But sometimes stepping away from pinball is a good thing.

#72 5 years ago

Have pinball parties or tournaments at your place. I find that is very satisfying having others over to enjoy playing and talking pinball.

#73 5 years ago

your only one sweet deal away from relapse.dont fool yourself

#74 5 years ago

I'm just getting started! Bought my first machine (BK2K) a few years ago and just got my second (AFM remake). I'm already thinking about the possibility of picking up a cheap EM to round out my collection, and later on maybe an early-2000 Stern or something with really deep gameplay. Although, there is the problem of not having space for a third, but there are ways around that...

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from ctviss:

I'm just getting started! Bought my first machine (BK2K) a few years ago and just got my second (AFM remake). I'm already thinking about the possibility of picking up a cheap EM to round out my collection, and later on maybe an early-2000 Stern or something with really deep gameplay. Although, there is the problem of not having space for a third, but there are ways around that...

Hey! I recognize that story! Snoopy?

There's always more room. Knock out a wall, get rid of unecessary things such as couches and refrigerators, build a 4000 sq ft building...etc.

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Did you build that??? If so, well done!

Sadly, no. I am not that talented.

#77 5 years ago

I have found my interest has steadily declined over the last couple years. This hobby is kind of tough because I've discovered almost any game gets boring after awhile. Some way sooner than expected. So for awhile you remedy that by selling a couple and buying something different. Eventually the thrill of getting something new diminishes as you realize you'll be repeating the process again in a couple months. The allure is lost when it dawns on you that no game is a real long term keeper. The itch still comes back for me but with longer intervals in between. I'm not sure if you can ever completely leave pinball but I feel like I get closer every year.

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Hey! I recognize that story! Snoopy?
    There's always more room. Knock out a wall, get rid of unecessary things such as couches and refrigerators, build a 4000 sq ft building...etc.

Impulse? No way!

Yeah, why does my living room need a couch AND a loveseat?

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I have found my interest has steadily declined over the last couple years. This hobby is kind of tough because I've discovered almost any game gets boring after awhile. Some way sooner than expected. So for awhile you remedy that by selling a couple and buying something different. Eventually the thrill of getting something new diminishes as you realize you'll be repeating the process again in a couple months. The allure is lost when it dawns on you that no game is a real long term keeper. The itch still comes back for me but with longer intervals in between. I'm not sure if you can ever completely leave pinball but I feel like I get closer every year.

This is EXACTLY how I feel. I have considered getting out of the hobby recently. Wife loves MET though so we're keeping that as our only one. There is a very precise way every new pin goes... First week we play the crap out of it, second week we play a little less, by the third week the kids completely lose interest. Over the next 4 to 6 months my wife and I play the pin less, and less and less until it just sits. It doesn't matter the pin, or age of the pin, it can be 80s, 90s, 2000s or a new Stern or JJP. I figure since they all get boring eventually I have to buy based off of theme first, If I love the theme then maybe I can keep it long term even if I get tired of playing it.

#80 5 years ago

I think my attention span for new acquisitions is growing shorter.
    I too play the crap out of them when they first come in but the trailing off time is much shorter.

#81 5 years ago

People say they're pickier but I see no evidence that buying has slowed at all. I've been waiting for 7 years for people to stop buying before they actually play new games and it hasn't happened yet, so I don't expect it to now. Pickier just seems to mean that they're only buying 50% of the games that come out now, but since there are twice as many games they're still buying the same amount overall, lol.

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

People say they're pickier but I see no evidence that buying has slowed at all. I've been waiting for 7 years for people to stop buying before they actually play new games and it hasn't happened yet, so I don't expect it to now. Pickier just seems to mean that they're only buying 50% of the games that come out now, but since there are twice as many games they're still buying the same amount overall, lol.

Some of us like myself have given up because of the NIB prices. We do exist, but seem to be in the minority.

#83 5 years ago

Played TZ and LOTR last night then some Deadpool. All great but I still had more fun with TZ and LOTR.

Still love the sight of a raw lit of pins (feel free to insert the "So am I" quote). Beats the smell of napalm )

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Some of us like myself have given up because of the NIB prices. We do exist, but seem to be in the minority.

luckily you have about 100 different games you can play on route in town

#85 5 years ago

I've been pinned out for a while. Got rid of a bunch.

The more of them I owned, the more it seemed I would drink and smoke. That can't be an overall healthy lifestyle for someone in his mid 20s.

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

they're only buying 50% of the games that come out now, but since there are twice as many games they're still buying the same amount overall, lol.

I think you have to take into account the influx of new people to the hobby every year.
    I think at 10 or 12 years ( 11 for me) the interest begins to fade.
    But for every guy like me who is no longer looking under every rock for any and all games, a new guy comes into the hobby with all the drive I once had.

I am thinning and will land up with 4 machines. That will be the combined total of pins and EM type arcades.
    I peaked at 28 combined total.
    My tastes have changed. I am now looking for titles I want and i willing to pay for them. So I am buying a lot less. I only search when I feel like it and I play them less. I would like to buy older restored games because it costs so much to restore them myself.
    I would rather buy the other guys loss.

#87 5 years ago

In the early days of collecting I'd leave work early, or drive 4 hours in a snowstorm to get a game that had just posted. It was so satisfying and fun it was about all I would think or talk about. It seemed so important for quite a number of years. You're bound to get burnt out on something that can be so obsessive for so long. Now 14 years later I find myself making excuses not to buy a game that has been on my want list forever. It's somewhat liberating not caring as much, but also makes you envious of those just discovering the hobby.

#88 5 years ago

fullsizeoutput_d40 (resized).jpegfullsizeoutput_d40 (resized).jpeg

#89 5 years ago

I have games that I bought two years ago and have yet to shop. I seem to only care that they play correctly... I buy rubbers thinking I will do a full job, and then they sit in the coin box for years. I try to sell games occasionally to free up space and money, but even that is more effort than it is worth. I love the games I have, but a smaller collection would be easier to manage.

#90 5 years ago

donjagra you need to list your games so we can all droll a bit!

#91 5 years ago

I have a weird taste in games. This has been getting the most play for a while.

0630182231a (resized).jpg0630182231a (resized).jpg
    #92 5 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

In the early days of collecting I'd leave work early or drive 4 hours in a snowstorm to get a game that had just posted. It was so satisfying and fun it was about all I would think or talk about. It seemed so important for quite a number of years. You're bound to get burnt out on something that can be so obsessive for so long. Now 14 years later I find myself making excuses not to buy a game that has been on my want list forever. It's somewhat liberating not caring as much but also makes you envious of those just discovering the hobby.

Well spoken...er...rather...
    well written.

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

In the early days of collecting I'd leave work early or drive 4 hours in a snowstorm to get a game that had just posted. It was so satisfying and fun it was about all I would think or talk about. It seemed so important for quite a number of years. You're bound to get burnt out on something that can be so obsessive for so long. Now 14 years later I find myself making excuses not to buy a game that has been on my want list forever. It's somewhat liberating not caring as much but also makes you envious of those just discovering the hobby.

Wow, you couldn't state this any better. Once I went on a very snowy day towing a U-Haul to do a 2 for 1 trade. Now it's hard to get me out of the house to even go look at one. There are still pins I want, but the list is very short, now my quest is to only buy keepers.

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from donjagra:

I have games that I bought two years ago and have yet to shop. I seem to only care that they play correctly... I buy rubbers thinking I will do a full job, and then they sit in the coin box for years. I try to sell games occasionally to free up space and money, but even that is more effort than it is worth. I love the games I have, but a smaller collection would be easier to manage.

List those suckers!

Fyi: the fact that you say you have a "strange" taste in pins makes me all the more curious

#95 5 years ago

Played CV and CFTBL last night, still find the 90s games so timeless! Had more fun than playing Deadpool, which is a great game. I guess my 90s games will leave last (again not bashing new games, as they are so much improved too).
    Also, still finishing to restore my TOTAN and WCS and funny thing restoring a game nowadays seems to bring the cost up way up there.
    And with the constant rumors of this or the other remake lurking, I wonder if that part of the hobby will take a big hit too.

#96 5 years ago
    Quoted from bladerunner:

restoring a game nowadays seems to bring the cost up

I restore games for myself and not to seek a profit later BUT the restorations always put me upside down.
    Many times I am hoping to break even on a game that I restored. If I lose money on a restoration I don't go nuts. I really enjoy making them like new again.
    I usually will keep a completed restoration for several years so I enjoy playing it and restoring it.
    I would by games restored by others but rarely find the titles I want restored the way I would do it. Games like those just stay in peoples collections.

#97 5 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

In the early days of collecting I'd leave work early, or drive 4 hours in a snowstorm to get a game that had just posted.

2o9xvq (resized).jpg2o9xvq (resized).jpg
    #98 5 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

This is exactly my problem I think. I am covered up in tv repairs at work and the last thing I want to do right now is work on the pins. It upsets me to see so many down though.

RFM and SWE1 have monitor issues and a couple hours of minor things. Need to resolve them.
    JP needs new motors and they need to be hooked up turned by the game a bit then installed. Then gone through, I know a slingshot didn’t work.
    Sky divers has no gi. Haven’t looked at it.
    Simpsons needs to be put back together (did not have a drop target that was broken on the night I was actually working on it)
    Sky kings in my garage that is missing 2 inserts (how do you deal with that?????) and I think some ball return hardware.

I don’t want to give any up. But I am way out of space in a sub 1.1k sq ft home.

I am thinking I may try reducing by 1-3 this year. I am also passing on anything that doesn’t work. Only skydivers and swe1 actually came without these problems. So if the seller doesn’t fix it, I plan to just wait for better. I am in about 10 years at this point.

#99 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

I restore games for myself and not to seek a profit later BUT the restorations always put me upside down.
    Many times I am hoping to break even on a game that I restored. If I lose money on a restoration I don't go nuts. I really enjoy making them like new again.
    I usually will keep a completed restoration for several years so I enjoy playing it and restoring it.
    I would by games restored by others but rarely find the titles I want restored the way I would do it. Games like those just stay in peoples collections.

So true! I am restoring my TOTAN, WCS and Space Jam (yes that page 4 pin!). Found NOS playfield for all 3 and putting anything I can find new on them. Call it a waste of money but it gives me pleasure. It is like alchemy to me, making gold out of rubbish at a big cost.

There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-am-pinned-out/page/2?hl=oshara and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.