Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Whysnow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 12 years ago

Hi, Just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks to all that have added some great info to this site. I have already learned a ton by searching out old threads and reading (and rereading) some of the good ones.

I fell in love with pinball and TAF when in highschool back in 92-96. TAF was always my favorite game and I have dreamt about having my very own for years. I picked up a TAF that was supposedly 'shopped' 4 years ago, but it is pretty obvious that it was not fully shopped. I have some work to do, rebuild a flipper and 5 bad sockets to fix, to start with. Luckily the playfield is pretty clean with minimal wear.

I am as excited to play as I am to learn about fixing the problems and making improvements.

If anyone in the Madison, WI area wants to meet up and play, I would be happy to meet some fellow pindorks and play some games after I have everything in tiptop shape.

#2 12 years ago

Well....starting with a Top 10 pinball isn't too bad!

jarjarisgod and davewth are in your neck of the woods.

Welcome!

#3 12 years ago

Welcome Whysnow - TAF is a great pin, been on my list for awhile - let us know what we can help with and we'll have you up an running in no time.

#4 12 years ago

Welcome here!

#5 12 years ago

Hey! Those are fighting words...

#6 12 years ago

Welcome from Cottage Grove! We'll have to meet up sometime. I'll be getting my TZ back in a few weeks, maybe sometime after that?? Whereabouts in madison are you?

#7 12 years ago

Welcome!

#8 12 years ago

I am on the eastside (near 51 and 151). Would love to meet up Dave (or anyone else).

My main things on the to do list:

1. Sticky upper right flipper not returning all the way >> already firgured out this is due to the plastic bushing having a crack and when the flipper post rotates back it is getting held up on the crack. I have a bushing on the way and plan to do a rebuild of this flipper at the same time.

2. I have 5 burnt out sockets that need replacement. I am not very confident with soldering yet so I planned to pay John from Pincade to help me on this one (unless anyone local would care to teach me how for the price of some homebrews )

3. Cliffy protectors ordered and need to be installed to protect the playfield from any damage. I have read the pros/cons and opted to got for it. I they change game play too much then they will come off.

4. The original legs have a slight bend (I am guessing due to many years of being moved and hard nudging?). I plan to order some new legs and some cabinet protectors (alreayd has a bit of cabinent wear and I would like to keep from adding any more).

5. General cleaning and waxing

6. I would like to find a new translite gel/plastic sheet (not sure what this is called?). The current one is very yellowed from the backside (from being in a smokey bar years ago? or just from lights) and seems to dull the backlights a bit. Anyone know of a good place to find this? I saw one on ebay, but $200 seems silly for a piece of plastic.

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If anyone in the Madison, WI area wants to meet up and play, I would be happy to meet some fellow pindorks and play some games after I have everything in tiptop shape.

Great idea, I work on the west side and live in Edgerton (about 25 minutes south). Considering there are a few of us in the area we should all get together and play some pins.

Nice score on TAF, that's a great game. If you have any repair questions your in the right place, everyone has been very helpful whenever I've asked anything. I'm still pretty green, but I'd be willing to help out with some soldering, etc.

#10 12 years ago

Greetings!

Awesome first game you got there!

I did my first soldering about two weeks ago and it was pretty straight-forward. This past weekend I did a little soldering on a circuit board (with success).

My advice would be to watch youtube videos etc on how to solder. Get the basics down.

THIS site is the #1 site for pinball hands down. You'll find the members very helpful.

Again, congrats and Welcome aboard.

#11 12 years ago

Congrats and welcome aboard! TAF is an awesome pin! I finally landed one and its going nowhere anytime soon. Be careful though, pins are like rabbits and multiply quickly!

#12 12 years ago

I read your thread blackbeard > good advice

I will be sure to check out some youtube vids.

Glad I found this place

#13 12 years ago

i'm impressed, i've wanted a TAF for a long time, but can't find one that's affordable

#14 12 years ago

welcome , taf on my short list also

#15 12 years ago

I am from allied drive can i come over

#16 12 years ago

lol i am up near eau claire

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from TheJesus:

I am from allied drive can i come over

haha.

NO, you can not come over

#18 12 years ago

I am pretty happy with the overall condition of TAF and picked it up for a decent price>> though it needs some work.

Only disappointment so far is that the seller lied about a few things that I really would not even known to look for until I had more experience/time with the pin to really examine stuff.

He claimed faulty sockets were just burnt out bulbs and I believed him. It appears he may have lubed?? the cracked flipper bushing which so it would function for the duration I checked it out at his house. The left ramp has a small crack and will need replacement (crack was hard to see and I am a noob, but after talking with him today it is obvious he knew). The cracked ramp hurts the most cause it will cost the most.

Seller dodged my calls for a few days after I picked it up and then when I finally talked with him today he was a complete jerk and basically told me to piss off and tough luck.

I am a noob so I expected to have to learn a few things the hard way... Glad there are plenty of lesson available for free here

#19 12 years ago

Gotta say if I sell a game and someone calls me back complaining about a bad light socket or flipper bushing I would be taken aback. These things are old, they have a ton of parts, things break frequently, things need to be replaced.

Congrats on the purchase tho

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Gotta say if I sell a game and someone calls me back complaining about a bad light socket or flipper bushing I would be taken aback. These things are old, they have a ton of parts, things break frequently, things need to be replaced.
Congrats on the purchase tho

I understood that when buying, but the guy was selling it as "100% shopped and 100% fully functional with no mechanical flaws". I knew it would have problems. He knew he had a noob on the line and took advantage of that by being a bit deceitful and obviously hiding a few issues. It would not be so bad if he had just acknowledged the issues up front.

Lesson learned, and overall a pretty cheap lesson (aside form the $190 ramp)

#21 12 years ago

Congrats and welcome. Probably my favorite game. It never gets old. It is the game family and friends enjoy the most along with Monster Bash.

#22 12 years ago

Careful now. I bought a TAF in March, 2011. My first purchase since about 1991. Since the TAF, I've bought 7 more pins, lol. WCS, LOTR, MB, WH20, NGG, FT and TOTAN.

#23 12 years ago

Congrats on your first game, and welcome to Pinside!!

#24 12 years ago

Congrats on picking up TAF. Too bad you had the misfortune of running into an unscrupulous seller. Sounds like you're on your way to getting it whipped into shape though. It'll be a blast when you're all done!

Looks like we're going to have to get the Madison crew together for a pinball gathering one of these days!

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Looks like we're going to have to get the Madison crew together for a pinball gathering one of these days!

yep. my lineup isn't set yet, though. TZ in early feb, not that you like it... i kiid, i kiid...

#26 12 years ago

I bet the sockets are fine for the lights, the headers on the lamp boards they are on are likely cracked and need to be re-flowed.

TAF was the same for me, my one desire to get - got mine as my second pin, and had similar problems - minor.

Greatest machine ever made IMO. I love every minute of every game I ever have played. I just last night moved it into my repair room to do a complete PF swap and redecal the cab... It's loss in my main room is depressing to view for me... and I really mean that.

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I bet the sockets are fine for the lights, the headers on the lamp boards they are on are likely cracked and need to be re-flowed.

Do a G.I. test and see if all the lights are on the same string. Don't do any changing out of sockets before checking that first.

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Greatest machine ever made IMO. I love every minute of every game I ever have played.

It always makes me smile, even if i'm having a bad game. This bsd in my family room has me a bit pissed off right now, however. Mean one, that Dracula.

#30 12 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Atomicboy said:I bet the sockets are fine for the lights, the headers on the lamp boards they are on are likely cracked and need to be re-flowed.
Do a G.I. test and see if all the lights are on the same string. Don't do any changing out of sockets before checking that first.

I am admittedly a huge noob so please be patient with my ignorance.

Both the phrases "headers on the lamp boards they are on are likely cracked and need to be re-flowed"
and "G.I. test and see if all the lights are on the same string"
are speaking a new language to me currently.

Can someone dumb it down for me while I try to catch up?

If someone can just direct me to a good book, website, or a previous thread that covers some more technical language I would love to get up to speed sooner rather than later.

Alternatively > any chance dave or jarjar might be interested in swinging by after I have the flipper rebuilt (so least you can get a few games in before schooling me on some of the basics).

thanks

#31 12 years ago

Someone will post the link for the guides for all systems. You want WPC. Read this in your spare time, as it covers everything.

#32 12 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Both the phrases "headers on the lamp boards they are on are likely cracked and need to be re-flowed"
and "G.I. test and see if all the lights are on the same string"
are speaking a new language to me currently.

Theres connectors from the wiring into the boards. The pins that the connectors go onto are header pins. The GI (general illumination) is always on so take a beating over the years form heat and stress. If you take out the lamp board and look on the back where the pins go through, you may see some cracked solder joints. When they crack, they lose continuity and you lose lights. Reflowing them with solder can fix that. Or you may have a burnt looking connector which will be apparent. In that case, the connector will have to be changed along with changing the header pins. The GI test is in your test menu and you get to thatby using the test button inside the coin door. If you have a manual, it will tell you how to go through the test menu. Pretty easy really. Get in there and and see what options you have by cycling through using the test button and volume buttons. You can put up a message on your DMD if you want. When in doubt, ask questions! Theres allot of smart fellows on here !

#33 12 years ago

There are some impressive guides and videos. Someone will put up a link to the guides or shoot me a message with your e-mail and I could e-mail it directly to you. Heres a link to some cheap videos. You would want the Lost in the Zone as it goes into repairs of your system.
http://www.pinrepair.com/top/
Informative and entertaining as well!

#34 12 years ago

Allied drive, LOL

Welcome, fellow cheesehead and (I hope) Bucky fan. I lived in Madison for two years and then just outside of it for 9 (Lake Mills and Johnson Creek). You have started your collection in impressive style. I'm still in the hunt for a TAF and the next one I find for a reasonable price will be mine.

#35 12 years ago

thanks all

pintastic > I shot you a PM

#36 12 years ago

Welcome and nice find. TAF is a game I'd love to own someday. Maybe I can settle with playing yours sometime when the group in Madison gets together. I'm from Platteville, WI.

#37 12 years ago

If the ramp crack is so small that you can barely notice it, it probably doesn't affect gameplay. I would save yourself the $$$ and leave it alone.

#38 12 years ago

We have all been there and bought a machine with a few more issues than we anticipated. You got a great game, though. As far as the ramp goes, don't worry about replacing that now if it isn't affecting gameplay. In fact, I am sending my TAF out for a full restore later this month, and having my ramp replaced with a clear version. When I get it back (and the removed parts) I will send you my original ramp as a Welcome to the Hobby and the Boards gift. It needs a little cleaning, probably. But it isn't cracked.

#39 12 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Alternatively > any chance dave or jarjar might be interested in swinging by after I have the flipper rebuilt (so least you can get a few games in before schooling me on some of the basics).

I'm not super familiar with Bally/Williams games as far as troubleshooting goes, but I'd be up for helping out in any way I can.

Pretty sure you'll get a lot of good advice from the seasoned vets here on the forum as well.

#40 12 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

We have all been there and bought a machine with a few more issues than we anticipated. You got a great game, though. As far as the ramp goes, don't worry about replacing that now if it isn't affecting gameplay. In fact, I am sending my TAF out for a full restore later this month, and having my ramp replaced with a clear version. When I get it back (and the removed parts) I will send you my original ramp as a Welcome to the Hobby and the Boards gift. It needs a little cleaning, probably. But it isn't cracked.

WOW!!! That is SUPER nice of you and GREATLY appreciated!

Will you post some before and after pics of you TAF? Where are you sending yours out for restore?

#41 12 years ago

I'm not an expert but i can run the diagnostic tests for you. I live ten minutes from you and would be glad to stop by. pm me

#42 12 years ago

congrats... but beware, this hobby can be addicting... and expensive!

#43 12 years ago

Sorry i couldn't help you more. I think you should hold off on getting those header pins fixed (if you aren't doing it yourself) until you have a second machine to play while TAF is down. How did the GI tests come out? Is your molex connector toasty??

#44 12 years ago

I went though the GI test and looks to be just bad sockets for the most part. I have lights on each 'string' that light up so I do not think it is header pins. I am going to take it slow and do more reading before I jump into anything over my head.

I have one light on the mansion board that looks like it is actually the board... I think this one will require refloating that connection on the board...

Just got my flipper bushing this afternoon so I can continue with the flipper rebuild on Saturday. I can deal without lights for the time being. I need the jackpot flipper working NOW

#45 12 years ago

oh, and yes... I need a second machine. Now to convince my wife that she needs a second machine

#46 12 years ago

GREAT NEWS!!! Flipper rebuild was a success!!!

While I was inside I also found 1 pop bumper where the switch was not working properly and it turned out to be a misgapped leaf switch (if that makes sense> not sure what is actually called). I tweaked the gapping slightly and now it works!

Bad news!!
While I was checking things out I found out why only 1 of the 3 "hit cousin it" switches was working. 1 wire is broken of the solder point. It appears they are wired in succession from top of playfield towards bottom??? Pretty sure I just need to resolder this wire from switch 1 back onto switch 2??? Problem being >>I need to get the tools and learn how to solder.

#47 12 years ago

Here's a very good turorial explaining the soldering basics.

#48 12 years ago

thanks for the video link

I coincidentally received a $100 amazon gift card from work today so I ordered a soldering iron, solder sucker, and some solder today. Hopefully it will arrive by Friday so I can try it out on some practice wires before getting to the real stuff.

#50 12 years ago

Welcome! BUT...we need pictures of everything you're doing....just sayin'....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-am-new-here-just-bought-my-first-pinball-taf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.