image-925.jpg
image-50.jpg
image-242.jpg
image-445.jpg
image-537.jpg
NG234_VB_999.jpg
image-788.jpg
image.jpg
There are 279 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
#51 10 years ago

Well, I had someone contact me for an Iron Man Classic and is offering it to me for 2650 and he seems pretty firm on it but I will be paying for shipping. I think with the money I save I am going to buy a Starship Troopers pin to put in this growing arcade room of mine. So if you know of any out there in good/great condition for under/around 2k, please hit me up. I know the classic isn't a pro but money talks and all I care is it says Iron Man on it. I won't ever care about selling it. I'll take care of it like its another child. You guys have been great. Thanks!!

#52 10 years ago

Seems like a good deal, now bring her home and take a pic!

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Well, I had someone contact me for an Iron Man Classic and is offering it to me for 2650 and he seems pretty firm on it but I will be paying for shipping. I think with the money I save I am going to buy a Starship Troopers pin to put in this growing arcade room of mine. So if you know of any out there in good/great condition for under/around 2k, please hit me up. I know the classic isn't a pro but money talks and all I care is it says Iron Man on it. I won't ever care about selling it. I'll take care of it like its another child. You guys have been great. Thanks!!

I prefer SST over Iron Man.

I like Iron Man, and I liked it when a lot of people were dogging it when the game came out. I personally can't see paying the higher prices people are asking for IM now. I would buy any NIB Stern over a $4,000+ IM.

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Seems like a good deal, now bring her home and take a pic!

It's a promise! Thanks for you help.

Quoted from PEN:

I prefer SST over Iron Man.
I like Iron Man, and I liked it when a lot of people were dogging it when the game came out. I personally can't see paying the higher prices people are asking for IM now. I would buy any NIB Stern over a $4,000+ IM.

Yea dont know where the hell I was when they were coming out initially and for so much lower. SST uses a magnet or so I've read and it'll be fun to see how that is. I live in Memphis and this demographic and the surrounding areas just aren't arcade or pinball friendly anymore. Sucks.

#55 10 years ago

Good choice on the classic. Enjoy!

#56 10 years ago

My IM is sitting right next to an SST right now...congrats!

#57 10 years ago

I sold my HUO IM to a buddy 2 years ago, and he told me the other day he was thinking about selling it. If your interested let me know and I'll say something to him, I want to say he was thinking in the $4800-$5000 range. He lives on the Il.,Ia,Wi. Border.

Topper

#58 10 years ago

Lol , I guess I should have went to the next page before posting, hope you enjoy the classic

#59 10 years ago

Love how Grinder says "This is what I want" and makes a decision and gets a deal completed. In one thread, in a few days.

You should reach out to Kaneda and teach him a thing or two. Well done sir.

#60 10 years ago

I played an IM in an arcade somewhere on a business trip, I think in Seattle, about 2 years ago.

It seemed simple in a good way, though the flippers didn't work too well so I couldn't play it more than a couple games.

Since that time, I've been looking for one off-and-on, but nothing relatively fair priced has presented itself. I just can't see paying more for a used IM than a new Star Trek...and then pay shipping.

So, if there is one in the bay area for sale, let me know.

Thanks.

Robert

#61 10 years ago

Iron Man is a pin I love and it's great seeing all the support for the OP on this. I def would love to get one at one point. Even asked the operator of a routed one that is in miserable condition here if he'd like to sell it. It needs a lot of work though so we'll see. Good luck with your classic and SST

#62 10 years ago

My buddy picked up a HUO TF LE for $3900 today & is getting the guys HUO IM for the same price next weekend.

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

My buddy picked up a HUO TF LE for $3900 today & is getting the guys HUO IM for the same price next weekend.

#64 10 years ago

Say all you want about the classic, but there's a lot of gameplay value there for $2500-$3000.

Congrats, OP, and welcome to the hobby.

#65 10 years ago

You guys have been very helpful and supportive. Part of me wants the machine with all the bells and whistles with every mod known to man. The other part of me slaps that part because I just dropped 18,000 closing on my old house and paying my car off as a stipulation of buying my new house this weekend. Unloaded the trucks last night after it snowed all day and I'm knee deep in boxes.

You guys remember the price check thread for the Iron Man Classic last year? Poor guy got roasted. Well he is who I am buying from. Rex. Super nice guy. He is selling it to me slightly lower than what he paid for it. While i would love to get the IM Classic for under 2k, I don't think he is that desperate and the market seems to have gone up on IM so this might be as good as I can find at the moment. Plus Im not in the habit of raping anyone and want to make sure he gets at least something for his machine. He is almost as big of an Iron Man fan as I am. Haha.

OT but if anyone knows of or is selling a SST, hit me up. I'm already searching,

Do you want to know more?

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Say all you want about the classic, but there's a lot of gameplay value there for $2500-$3000.
Congrats, OP, and welcome to the hobby.

For $2000 buy a real game like JM. Road Show, Dirty Harry, Demo Man, JD, JP, a Getaway, the list goes on and on. I'm sorry, but the classic is a piece of crap, and spending more than $1,200 on one is absurd.

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Man, I really appreciate that. Can't seem to even find a Classic in a decently marked down price range though. Cheapest I could find was that 3700 for everything on eBay. I am a little worried about quality and longevity issues with the Classic vs Pro. Funny thing is I was collecting Iron Man, wearing nerdy Iron Man tshirts to the gym and buying his comics before he was mainstream cool. Everyone wanted to be Spider-Man or Wolverine but not this guy. Now he has made three movies and an Avenger movie and all the kiddies want to put on the red and gold for Halloween. The market determines the prices I guess so if noobs like me are willing to pay 6k and above, then that's where the prices will stay. No I'm not a collector or super enthusiast like most of you. I have a cocktail table in the arcade room/iron man room that plays 410 classic games, the Captain America and the Avengers arcade, still looking for a low cost Police Trainer or Lethal Enforcer shooter and of course the piece de resistance, the IM man pin. Three sellers have contacted me and they are all around the same price.

Dont buy a classic its freaking JUNK, and you will never be able to sell it later...

A total Bowl Swirler... piece of crap.. shit box.. undesireable waste...

Buy PRO or save your money...

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I'll be the buzz kill. This solidifies my thought process. I truly think you will be just as satisfied with a classic. You are actually the perfect market for the classic as you are more into the theme than the actual pinball play. I've seen classics pop up here and there for sub $3K and I don't see why you couldn't find one for mid $2's if you are patient.
I'll give you some advise I wish someone would have told me when I first started in this hobby. DO NOT fall into the "gotta have it now" feeling with pinball. If so you will overpay just about everytime. The best way to do it is to set some funds aside and be patient for the right thing to come along. You may actually have better luck with cragslist and Mr. Pinball with a WTB add for a classic. To be frank, Pinside (or any pinball forum) is not going be the market for a classic With a WTB add be very causious as that is where the scammers get real bad. Try to pick something up but if you can't I can't recommend enough having someone check the pin out for you first. If nothing else they can confirm it really exist. Most on here would be willing to take a short trip to help out so you can post a request and location and I'd bet you'd get a bite.
Happy hunting and I wish you best of luck with your decision. This is a hard one to make. We all go through it at some point. Normally now is the, should I get the pro or the Prem version

Classic = Herpes

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Dont buy a classic its freaking JUNK, and you will never be able to sell it later...
A total Bowl Swirler... piece of crap.. shit box.. undesireable waste...
Buy PRO or save your money...

Dude, I'll never sell it.

#70 10 years ago

I wonder how many people have actually played it. Kind of hard to have a strong opinion on something without having experienced it. Am I wrong but didnt IM get hate when it first came out? I wonder what changed people's opinions. Maybe they actually played it and found out it wasnt the POS they assumed. Hell what do I know, you guys are the experts. I'm the noob/novice.

#71 10 years ago

Are you buying it purely for the theme? If so, then the classic is fine. It sounds like you could buy a Raven and put an Iron Man translite in it and be satisfied, so if you want a classic at half the price then go for it.

#72 10 years ago

The classic is soooooooo poor play wise to the pro,, you dont know what your missing with the pro...

I am soooo not trying to be a dick..this is a move you will regret. mark my words..

I just gonna close my eyes and forget this thread....

I fyou are that big a fan if IM, then dont settle for what Tony Stark wouldnt settle for..

Get the real deal...

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I wonder how many people have actually played it. Kind of hard to have a strong opinion on something without having experienced it. Am I wrong but didnt IM get hate when it first came out? I wonder what changed people's opinions. Maybe they actually played it and found out it wasnt the POS they assumed. Hell what do I know, you guys are the experts. I'm the noob/novice.

I have played the classic and it blows...
i owned my IM for 3 yrs, and it was probably my favorite DMD game Ever...

Not to mention you can never sell a classic, you can sell a Pro in like 5 minutes if you need ot...

Classic,= dead nearly unretreivable money.. ( money lost )

Pro= can get cash in hand in a hurry if an emergency pops up...

#74 10 years ago

Classic= Zizzle

K=Mart
Toys-R Us

Ughhhh !

#75 10 years ago

not to mention your gonna have about 3K in that pile...after shipping

dude, your getting cornholed hard...

Do you know the quality of game you can get for 3K... OMG

You could have a real machine or 2 for that money

An IM classic should be no more that 8-1100, if you had to have one.. but i dont know why anybody would..

#76 10 years ago

Did you read that price check thread? Just curious.

#77 10 years ago

Funny, the OP says he doesn't want to "rape" the dude selling HIM the classic for $3k plus. Lol!

#78 10 years ago

Don't be so harsh... remember he is getting it to hold the translite mostly.

#79 10 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I didn't like IM when it first came out and now I own one (and love it). IM is brutal and hard to warm up to. The more I played it @ various tournaments, the more the gameplay grew on me. When IM came out, I was comparing it to LOTR and TSPP (both long play with deep rulesets). In addition, IM also looked very cheap compared with my other Sterns.

When I saw custom LE's being developed by various Pinsiders, I picked one up.

#80 10 years ago

I say just let the guy enjoy his game. If this is what he wants, who are we to tell him otherwise? OP, good luck and hope you enjoy the game!

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from Jnewton:

I say just let the guy enjoy his game. If this is what he wants, who are we to tell him otherwise? OP, good luck and hope you enjoy the game!

Your right, .. F&%K Em. ! ....

i just hate to see people waste Thousands of dollars...

I still have puke in my mouth !

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from Jnewton:

I agree that the OP should do what he wants, but he created this thread and has asked for advice. While I personally wouldn't use some of the verbiage being thrown about, I think people are trying to help. It's the OP's only pin and making a mistake for your first game can leave a sour taste in your mouth.

There is a reason that this IM classic is still available ten months after the original thread. The classic lacks a lot of features in a game that was trashed originally for already being stripped down.

If the OP decides he wants a full version of the game in the future, he may take a bath on this one. But he is free to do as he wants.

#83 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

For $2000 buy a real game like JM. Road Show, Dirty Harry, Demo Man, JD, JP, a Getaway, the list goes on and on. I'm sorry, but the classic is a piece of crap, and spending more than $1,200 on one is absurd.

Couldn't agree more.

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from Jnewton:

I say just let the guy enjoy his game. If this is what he wants, who are we to tell him otherwise?

Seriously?

The guy came here ASKING FOR OPINIONS.

#85 10 years ago

It's impossible to insult me or hurt my feelings. Big boy here. Marine and Deputy so no worries. I welcome everyone's opinion. You all have insight that I just don't have when it comes to these games. You've learned from mistakes that I may be making. I appreciate it.

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

It's impossible to insult me or hurt my feelings. Big boy here. Marine and Deputy so no worries. I welcome everyone's opinion. You all have insight that I just don't have when it comes to these games. You've learned from mistakes that I may be making. I appreciate it.

I just want ya to make a good decision thats all...

spend more cash and be happy forever with a PRO

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Seriously?
The guy came here ASKING FOR OPINIONS.

Yeah and their is a right and wrong way to express ones opinion. Of course this being pinside we now have a lot of the wrong way to do it.

State your opinion but no need to badger the guy. He's obviously not a pinhead and is just wanting to fill a collection and have a game he can have fun with. Their are people out there with the classic IM, Batman and even the Pin and are actually happy with them. Would 99.9% of the members here be happy with them? Heck no, but our community doesn't represent the whole market.

With that said, $3K for a classic is high but if the OP is happy that is all that matters.

#88 10 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Yeah and their is a right and wrong way to express ones opinion. Of course this being pinside we now have a lot of the wrong way to do it.
State your opinion but no need to badger the guy. He's obviously not a pinhead and is just wanting to fill a collection and have a game he can have fun with. Their are people out there with the classic IM, Batman and even the Pin and are actually happy with them. Would 99.9% of the members here be happy with them? Heck no, but our community doesn't represent the whole market.
With that said, $3K for a classic is high but if the OP is happy that is all that matters.

Miss the point much?

Did you even read the post that I was responding to? It has nothing to do with what you said above.

#89 10 years ago

If badgering him kept him from stepping on his Richard, then in the end i would feel very glad i did.

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

You think I could find a Classic for less than his offered $2650?

Quoted from Gerry:

If badgering him kept him from stepping on his Richard, then in the end i would feel very glad i did.

Bwhahahahahaha I love that, stepping on my Richard, nicely done. I know your head and heart are in the right place.

#91 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Don't apologize. Those games you mentioned don't have appeal like anything with IM on it. Prob dont know what I'm missing though. Ignorance can be bliss I guess and I would love to only spend $1200 on my first pin. If I did hate it (super unlikely) then I wouldn't be out much but how realistic is it for me to get one at that price?

#92 10 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Prob dont know what I'm missing though. Ignorance can be bliss I guess and I would love to only spend $1200 on my first pin.

If you are like the rest of us, you will not stop with just one game. Two years ago, I started intending to only buy one. I've now been through ten. I see you're looking for SST too, which is a good sign it may happen to you. That's why people are recommending not to buy the classic. Once you realize what you're missing, you may very well regret it. I have no intention of owning an IM. But if I did, I would rather not have one at all than have a classic.

Ignorance is bliss. But if you get the bug, you are going to see a whole lot of games. And that may make it tough.

#93 10 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

If you are like the rest of us, you will not stop with just one game. Two years ago, I started intending to only buy one. I've now been through ten. I see you're looking for SST too, which is a good sign it may happen to you. That's why people are recommending not to buy the classic. Once you realize what you're missing, you may very well regret it. I have no intention of owning an IM. But if I did, I would rather not have one at all than have a classic.
Ignorance is bliss. But if you get the bug, you are going to see a whole lot of games. And that may make it tough.

I hear you I really do. I have some time to still think it over. Save money and get an Iron Man pin missing several things and still have money for another machine or two. Or fork over more money and have the pin Tony would want. Dammit.

#94 10 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Or fork over more money and have the pin Tony would want. Dammit.

That ploy really got to you, didn't it. Must be a true fan.

#95 10 years ago
Quoted from canea:

That ploy really got to you, didn't it. Must be a true fan.

Haha oh yes it did.

#96 10 years ago

I would ask the board to see if anyone around you has a Classic and a Pro that you can play to compare the two for yourself. I've not played a Classic so I can't compare, but I own a Pro and love it. May be the start of a new hobby if you buy the right one.

#97 10 years ago
Quoted from rlslick:

I would ask the board to see if anyone around you has a Classic and a Pro that you can play to compare the two for yourself. I've not played a Classic so I can't compare, but I own a Pro and love it. May be the start of a new hobby if you buy the right one.

There is absolutely NO comparison...

And to the OP, I am not the only one here with this viewpoint, and the majority is usually right...

And in this case they are 100% right...

even if it takes ya a bit longer to score the pro, it will be worth its weight in gold in the end...

Pinball is not a thing to cheap out on... when it comes to home version of commercial versions..

alway go commercial !

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

There is absolutely NO comparison...
And to the OP, I am not the only one here with this viewpoint, and the majority is usually right...
And in this case they are 100% right...
even if it takes ya a bit longer to score the pro, it will be worth its weight in gold in the end...
Pinball is not a thing to cheap out on... when it comes to home version of commercial versions..
alway go commercial !

Thanks Gerry. I felt like getting even a streamlined IM pin at $2650 was better than a pro at $5200-6500. Hell I don't know what to think.

Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Love how Grinder says "This is what I want" and makes a decision and gets a deal completed. In one thread, in a few days.
You should reach out to Kaneda and teach him a thing or two. Well done sir.

Ugh just when I thought I had made up my mind to go cheap, the pro is trying to suck me back in. What I want is an IM pin. What I don't want is to overpay for it and that goes for a classic or a pro.

#99 10 years ago

Guys, I live right outside Memphis, TN. Does anyone live remotely close to me with either an IM pro or Classic? There is nothing in town that can help me. I may check Nashville, that demographic may being able to sustain arcades/pinball machines. Maybe Little Rock but I doubt it. Might have to check St Louis too.....

#100 10 years ago

IM's are low production, and are ever increasing in popularity..

There is a long list of guys that want one...

So if you ever need to bail, you can in a second.. they hold their value incredibly well, and are kinda hard to come by..

easy to get your money back ...

Classic, light your money on fire...

The gameplay on the pro is absolutely amazing, and it is one of the most challenging pins out, not just from Stern but out period...

trust me, i'm trying to help you make the right choice...

And its really a no brainer !

I miss my IM terrible... one of the best games i have ever owned..

Look at my collection history, as well as my current...

I have had tons of games...

IM is also good for a 1 pin lineup.... it has legs, and wont bore you for a long long time...

There are 279 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-am-in-the-market-for-an-iron-man-pin/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.