image-925.jpg
image-50.jpg
image-242.jpg
image-445.jpg
image-537.jpg
NG234_VB_999.jpg
image-788.jpg
image.jpg
There are 279 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 10 years ago

This is my first post/thread. I am a huge Iron Man fan and I want to buy an Iron Man pin. The prices have seemed to sky rocket though. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a pin on eBay this week but I came on here and realized the machine was a classic and his asking price of 3700 (shipping included) seemed too high. If I'm wrong on that, please someone tell me. I don't have any other pins and this might be the only one I buy to go in my Iron Man room so I'd like it to be the original version with magnets and kicker. I live in Memphis, TN. Anyone have a machine for sale?

#3 10 years ago

If it's a classic, STAY AWAY! Smart move not buying it!

#4 10 years ago

Pm sent. Yeah pretty much the reactions on here regarding the classic have caused me to not buy that machine. Can you take a sec and tell me why the classic is so inferior? Seems like all it has going for it is a few thousand dollars cheaper but then again you get what you pay for...

#5 10 years ago

Hello fellow TN person.

From what little I know, I think the classic was the "stripped down" version they sold literally at CostCo. It seems to be decently rare, but that's because nobody really wanted them.

#6 10 years ago

Found these differences from another thread:

-Different software
-Boards in base cabinet
-Leds on circuit boards
-No magnets, i.e. Monger, Whip Lash
-No War Machine Kick back
-No coin door
-Press board for cabinet

The big issue for me would be the pressed wood cabinet. I'd worry about the long term quality...

#7 10 years ago

It's an Iron Man with its teeth removed. No fight in it at all without magnets and kickback. On a positive note, I believe the playfield has extra clear coat and is thicker if I am not mistaken? Someone confirm or dispell please.

#8 10 years ago

Somewhat OT: I'm going to look at a very lightly routed IM its in very nice shape! any input on roughly what would be considered a good deal on it?

#9 10 years ago

3800-4200 routed is a good deal at this point in time, meaning DEAL.
if I was selling a routed one with todays pricing I still would ask 4800 for it which is NIB price when it was released I think

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

would ask 4800 for it which is NIB price when it was released I think

Try $3800 for NIB back then.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from jamespin:

It's an Iron Man with its teeth removed. No fight in it at all without magnets and kickback. On a positive note, I believe the playfield has extra clear coat and is thicker if I am not mistaken? Someone confirm or dispell please.

More like with his balls cut off!

#12 10 years ago

Dont buy that Classic piece of crap....

spend the money buy a nice IM pro and be done with it.. it will make you happy forever...

It will also make you mad forever.. in a good way..

#13 10 years ago

Pass on the cheapo classic.

You won't regret getting IM - I have 20 machines and it's still the one I go to the most.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

3800-4200 routed is a good deal at this point in time, meaning DEAL.

I'm biased, as I currently have one listed for sale, but I cannot see an Iron Man in any shape go for $3800-$4200.

There was a routed one that even had the Monger head missing that went for $5000 recently. It did sit on the market awhile, though.

#15 10 years ago

Thanks everyone for your posts. Sucks only one machine seems to be up for sale at the moment. Great looking machine though Allibaster. I'm thinking hard about it. And yea I won't be buying a classic either way.

#16 10 years ago

Starship Troopers is my favorite movie. Its like the Marine Corps in space. Oorah!!! It's an amazing book too. Can't believe one just sold here for 2k. Yet IM is three times that? Is it just because IM is a newer release and a more popular franchise? So few made maybe? Sucks that I'm such an Iron Man fan, it'll cost me it seems.

#17 10 years ago

Starship troopers was made by Sega. Most Sega's don't sell for over $2K.

#18 10 years ago

What makes IM fun for me is that I am able to get 2-3 kick-ass games on it in a matter of 10 minutes. It needs precise shooting, music is fantastic, and I believe it utilizes the shaker motor better than any other pin if you have a shaker in it.

#19 10 years ago

I have one for sale $6500.

Has Back Box Led kit
Speaker Led kit with arc plastic
Whiplash lighted ropes
Upgraded subwoofer
Mirror blades
Hot rod red armor,
Custom cards
Shaker
Signed by Gary Stern and Borg

IMG_20140125_122209_478.jpgIMG_20140125_122209_478.jpg
IMG_20140125_122247_301.jpgIMG_20140125_122247_301.jpg
IMG_20140125_122014_396.jpgIMG_20140125_122014_396.jpg
IMG_20140125_122021_552.jpgIMG_20140125_122021_552.jpg
IMG_20140125_122029_209.jpgIMG_20140125_122029_209.jpg
IMG_20140125_122037_039.jpgIMG_20140125_122037_039.jpg
IMG_20140125_122106_955.jpgIMG_20140125_122106_955.jpg
IMG_20140125_122112_931.jpgIMG_20140125_122112_931.jpg
IMG_20140125_122118_878.jpgIMG_20140125_122118_878.jpg
IMG_20140125_122126_751.jpgIMG_20140125_122126_751.jpg

#20 10 years ago

Man that is a beautiful pin too!!!

#21 10 years ago

Odd to be signed by Gomez. He didn't have anything to do with the game design and wasn't even working for stern when it came out.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Odd to be signed by Gomez. He didn't have anything to do with the game design and wasn't even working for stern when it came out.

Topper looks quite odd also.

#24 10 years ago

ebay.com link: itm

This is the topper I had in mind for my future IM. Thoughts?

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from ScottinSGFNY:

You won't regret getting IM - I have 20 machines and it's still the one I go to the most.

Same here. 20 games and if I could only keep one, it would be IM.

#26 10 years ago

Fun game but bring the lube if you are in the market for one. Not many unmodded ones out there and those that are modded are priced at not exactly deal pricing (as you've seen already). Not saying that these are not the market as I don't know what the market really is for this pin but they aren't cheap.

Here is where I'm going to get flamed. Based off what I'm reading I don't see you as being a major Pinball Collector or enthusiast and that you are more looking to fill a gap in your collection/hobby room. If my interpretation is correct save yourself $4K and get a classic. You'll have an IM pinball machine to complete your collection plus you will still have the money to buy that Star Ship Troopers as well and still pocket nearly $2K. If you are a pinball enthusiast then save your money for the Pro but if you aren't then you have to do a cost benefit of what you are looking for especially with a machine like IM.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

ebay.com link

Pretty bad ass!

#28 10 years ago

I have one that I can sell in about two weeks when I get it back. Currently on loan to someone No mods but it'll be cheaper. EDIT: Sold now. Please no more PMs!

I also know people with Classics that I could probably get you for mid $3s but I wouldn't recommend it. Not only is it less fun to play, but you'll have a hard time selling it when you decide you don't want it anymore. IM Pro on the other hand is a hot commodity.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

I have one that I can sell in about two weeks when I get it back. Currently on loan to someone No mods but it'll be cheaper, was thinking $5200.
I also know people with Classics that I could probably get you for mid $3s but I wouldn't recommend it. Not only is it less fun to play, but you'll have a hard time selling it when you decide you don't want it anymore. IM Pro on the other hand is a hot commodity.

I can recommend Ryan, he has been great to deal with on a pin I'm looking for...

OP I'd strongly consider buying from him

#30 10 years ago

My fear in buying an IM is the second I do, Stern will announce another run of them (which may very well happen) and a NIB may very well go for similar prices as current used ones.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Fun game but bring the lube if you are in the market for one. Not many unmodded ones out there and those that are modded are priced at not exactly deal pricing (as you've seen already). Not saying that these are not the market as I don't know what the market really is for this pin but they aren't cheap.
Here is where I'm going to get flamed. Based off what I'm reading I don't see you as being a major Pinball Collector or enthusiast and that you are more looking to fill a gap in your collection/hobby room. If my interpretation is correct save yourself $4K and get a classic. You'll have an IM pinball machine to complete your collection plus you will still have the money to buy that Star Ship Troopers as well and still pocket nearly $2K. If you are a pinball enthusiast then save your money for the Pro but if you aren't then you have to do a cost benefit of what you are looking for especially with a machine like IM.

Man, I really appreciate that. Can't seem to even find a Classic in a decently marked down price range though. Cheapest I could find was that 3700 for everything on eBay. I am a little worried about quality and longevity issues with the Classic vs Pro. Funny thing is I was collecting Iron Man, wearing nerdy Iron Man tshirts to the gym and buying his comics before he was mainstream cool. Everyone wanted to be Spider-Man or Wolverine but not this guy. Now he has made three movies and an Avenger movie and all the kiddies want to put on the red and gold for Halloween. The market determines the prices I guess so if noobs like me are willing to pay 6k and above, then that's where the prices will stay. No I'm not a collector or super enthusiast like most of you. I have a cocktail table in the arcade room/iron man room that plays 410 classic games, the Captain America and the Avengers arcade, still looking for a low cost Police Trainer or Lethal Enforcer shooter and of course the piece de resistance, the IM man pin. Three sellers have contacted me and they are all around the same price.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

My fear in buying an IM is the second I do, Stern will announce another run of them (which may very well happen) and a NIB may very well go for similar prices as current used ones.

That would be awesome, but it seems doubtful. IM 3 has already been made. I find it hard to believe whoever signed the rights to IM would be ok with it coming out again

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Haha that would be my luck!!!!

Quoted from ReplayRyan:

I have one that I can sell in about two weeks when I get it back. Currently on loan to someone No mods but it'll be cheaper, was thinking $5200.

I'll send you a PM

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Fun game but bring the lube if you are in the market for one. Not many unmodded ones out there and those that are modded are priced at not exactly deal pricing (as you've seen already)

I'd love an Iron Man too, but I'm not willing to lube up - so no game for me so far.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Man, I really appreciate that. Can't seem to even find a Classic in a decently marked down price range though. Cheapest I could find was that 3700 for everything on eBay. I am a little worried about quality and longevity issues with the Classic vs Pro. Funny thing is I was collecting Iron Man, wearing nerdy Iron Man tshirts to the gym and buying his comics before he was mainstream cool. Everyone wanted to be Spider-Man or Wolverine but not this guy. Now he has made three movies and an Avenger movie and all the kiddies want to put on the red and gold for Halloween. The market determines the prices I guess so if noobs like me are willing to pay 6k and above, then that's where the prices will stay. No I'm not a collector or super enthusiast like most of you. I have a cocktail table in the arcade room/iron man room that plays 410 classic games, the Captain America and the Avengers arcade, still looking for a low cost Police Trainer or Lethal Enforcer shooter and of course the piece de resistance, the IM man pin. Three sellers have contacted me and they are all around the same price.

I'll be the buzz kill. This solidifies my thought process. I truly think you will be just as satisfied with a classic. You are actually the perfect market for the classic as you are more into the theme than the actual pinball play. I've seen classics pop up here and there for sub $3K and I don't see why you couldn't find one for mid $2's if you are patient.

I'll give you some advise I wish someone would have told me when I first started in this hobby. DO NOT fall into the "gotta have it now" feeling with pinball. If so you will overpay just about everytime. The best way to do it is to set some funds aside and be patient for the right thing to come along. You may actually have better luck with cragslist and Mr. Pinball with a WTB add for a classic. To be frank, Pinside (or any pinball forum) is not going be the market for a classic With a WTB add be very causious as that is where the scammers get real bad. Try to pick something up but if you can't I can't recommend enough having someone check the pin out for you first. If nothing else they can confirm it really exist. Most on here would be willing to take a short trip to help out so you can post a request and location and I'd bet you'd get a bite.

Happy hunting and I wish you best of luck with your decision. This is a hard one to make. We all go through it at some point. Normally now is the, should I get the pro or the Prem version

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from DK:

That would be awesome, but it seems doubtful. IM 3 has already been made. I find it hard to believe whoever signed the rights to IM would be ok with it coming out again

Man IM 3 was a huge disappointment. The way they handled the Mandarin character is down right criminal. Iron Patriot and Extremis storyline as well. What a mess. Don't get me started on how the armor seemed to break apart at a single punch. What a joke!!! The origin story was done so dam well and I loved the War Machine Iron Man team up in number 2 that I read in the comics. Quite happy and content the IM pin wasnt corrupted by that train wreck.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I'll be the buzz kill. This solidifies my thought process. I truly think you will be just as satisfied with a classic. You are actually the perfect market for the classic as you are more into the theme than the actual pinball play. I've seen classics pop up here and there for sub $3K and I don't see why you couldn't find one for mid $2's if you are patient.
I'll give you some advise I wish someone would have told me when I first started in this hobby. DO NOT fall into the "gotta have it now" feeling with pinball. If so you will overpay just about everytime. The best way to do it is to set some funds aside and be patient for the right thing to come along. You may actually have better luck with cragslist and Mr. Pinball with a WTB add for a classic. To be frank, Pinside (or any pinball forum) is not going be the market for a classic With a WTB add be very causious as that is where the scammers get real bad. Try to pick something up but if you can't I can't recommend enough having someone check the pin out for you first. If nothing else they can confirm it really exist. Most on here would be willing to take a short trip to help out so you can post a request and location and I'd bet you'd get a bit.
Happy hunting and I wish you best of luck with your decision. This is a hard one to make. We all go through it at some point. Normally now is the, should I get the pro or the Prem version

I am an honest guy and I really appreciate your honesty. I am somewhat leery of forking over 6 thousand on something I haven't even seen or played yet. Timing is everything and I just wasnt in a place to get one when they first came out. Your advice of patience hits home as I am not a patient guy and I don't procrastinate. If a job needs to be done, I do it. If I want something, well the word obsess could be used to describe my attitude till I get it. Thanks again. I mean it.

#38 10 years ago

Listen to so much good advice that others are giving you. The most important thing in this hobby is "patience" and truly it is rewarded most of the time. I will give one quick example (I have many but this is my most recent). I just bought a beautiful HUO ELVIS. I missed buying Stretch 2 Elvis a few months ago back for $3,450 (great price). However, the one I bought yesterday I found on CL for $2,800 with very, very low plays HUO. My point.....patience is always rewarded and sometimes I don't follow my own rule....LOL. When I do I am rewarded and when I don't I pay up.....LOL !!! I am learning to be more patient and truly seasonality matters when buying or selling. Better to buy in the summer and sell late or early in the year as prices soften normally in the summer and strengthen around X-MAS and early in the year.....you can save 5-10 percent just by buying during the "weak period" as opposed to the stronger period (hey 5-10 percent can be a decent number on a $6K pin....lol).

Also, I find it is sometimes better to travel if you have a region 2-3 hours away that has lower prices (I find Northern Virginia is always more expensive then say Harrisburg area and one is an hour away and the other is 2-3 hours but the best deals I find are normally in Harrisburg or around those areas....maybe I have just got lucky).

As for IM, it is a hot pin with limited supply. Pros and Cons to buying one. Due to the limited supply and popularity it might hold its value (relatively speaking) then say buying a AVLE.....I know that title seems to go down $100 a month every month lately.....

Finally, I believe in paying extra for a nice condition pin (it is worth is if you try to resell it as nice examples of popular pins have a lot more "appeal" to people then "players condition" so if you get lucky enough to find a pin in GREAT SHAPE for not much more then "players condition" on some of the older titles YOU JUMP ON IT and don't ask questions.....LOL !!! Pins prices are based on condition more then anything I have found.

Good luck to you.......take your time as truly IM price in my opinion will "soften" come the summer so you have time to make your decision.....

#39 10 years ago

Your advice means a lot house, thank you.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

ebay.com link

Nice, here's the one I decided to go with...

IMG_8112_2.jpgIMG_8112_2.jpg
#41 10 years ago

Oh yea I've seen that photo on different threads. Really awesome looking topper. Good choice.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I'd love an Iron Man too, but I'm not willing to lube up - so no game for me so far.

I told my self if one came up locally for a good price I'd buy it. A few weeks ago I got a text from a friend that just picked up a super nice one with tons of mods. He asked if I knew anyone looking for one because he needs $ for a ST. He said $4700 & was over there ASAP! It came with a bunch of new mods in the coin box that hadn't been put on. I've recently done them but no pics yet.

20140210_074112.jpg20140210_074112.jpg
#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

I told my self if one came up locally for a good price I'd buy it. A few weeks ago I got a text from a friend that just picked up a super nice one with tons of mods. He asked if I knew anyone looking for one because he needs $ for a ST. He said $4700 & was over there ASAP! It came with a bunch of new mods in the coin box that hadn't been put on. I've recently done them but no pics yet.

20140210_074112.jpg 337 KB

4700 is an amazing deal. Here is a glimpse into how bad I have it: I have the japanese symbol for Iron Man tattooed on my right chest muscle. I also bought a Dodge Avenger and my license plate says IRONMN. Just saying.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

He said $4700 & was over there ASAP!

Nice. I'd cash that in too, if it came up.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

I'm biased, as I currently have one listed for sale, but I cannot see an Iron Man in any shape go for $3800-$4200.
There was a routed one that even had the Monger head missing that went for $5000 recently. It did sit on the market awhile, though.

No longer headless - his double stepped in to relieve him.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

It certainly helps to have friends in pinball. I keep a game (two at the most) at any given time, but I'm not that active. The only "local" stuff I see is on Craigslist. And I have to tell you the Detroit area is AWFUL as of late. It's the same junk pedaled by a few over and over again. There doesn't seem to be anything for sale anymore by just a regular ole' hobbyist. Kind of sucks.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Damn Breadfan your collection is getting epic!!!
Ps. Please Keep me I Mind if you hear of an MB for sale down your way.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

So here is my question for you. You paid 4700 for it. Put some money into it. If you were to sell it, what would you start the asking price at?

#49 10 years ago

great game, miss mine as was a forced sale, mine sold for $7k here in Aus.

here is a mod thread to give you ideas for when you find one
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-mods

#50 10 years ago

The $ I spent on it was supposed to be being saved for the next NIB rock music pin that comes out. If,or when that happen,my buddy is going to buy my IM for what I'm in it so I can get my music pin. If i was to sell it after all the stuff I'm going to do to it,I think $5500 firm & it would be gone quick.

There are 279 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-am-in-the-market-for-an-iron-man-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.