Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 74 days ago by Mitch
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20170903_170637 (resized).jpg
20181126_182441 (resized).jpg
dm3highlight (resized).jpg

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 74 days ago

Don't feel bad! You've actually learned something and that's valuable...hell, my 1st mess-up was when I had to replace some ROMS and didn't know that the 'divit' or whatever it's called all have to face the same direction as the others. It's so simple, but when you're a newb (and we ALL are at some point) it doesn't come to you by intuition...certain things need to be taught or leaned.

#52 74 days ago

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here...especially with unknown board damage. I had a STTNG where whatever bleeds off the caps when you power down was NOT functional. Like...at all. I had put a big long flathead screwdriver across a coil tab to the lockdown bar and discharged that thing MANUALLY...SEVERAL TIMES...and it still hit me. Unplugged it, discharged it manually several times again, waited like 2 hours...got zapped IN THE FACE. Literally. To this day, I've never seen anything else behave that way, so sure...maybe it was a fluke...but maybe NOT crap on people for not wanting to get zapped?

Quoted from Pin_Guy:

All chips are removable...they just have varying degrees of difficulty.

Replacing WPC ASIC sockets with a soldapullt is fun.

#53 74 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The best tool to have around is a Hakko De-solder gun. It is not cheap but just real handy to have when you need it. And you can always sell it and get your money back. The worst tool to have around if you don't know how to use it correctly is a Hakko de-solder gun. You can ruin a board if you don't know what you are doing.

Best thing I ever did was get a junk pcb and practice soldering and desoldering stuff in. After about 15 minutes you get a good feel for it, doesn't need to be a pinball board .

#54 74 days ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Best thing I ever did was get a junk pcb and practice soldering and desoldering stuff in. After about 15 minutes you get a good feel for it, doesn't need to be a pinball board .

A $250 Hakko desoldering gun can become your BFF realllllllllllll quick.....sure beats waiting 1 to 3 months for your board back when you have the gun, the chip, and the socket to DIY.....

#55 74 days ago
Quoted from NPO:

A $250 Hakko desoldering gun can become your BFF realllllllllllll quick.....sure beats waiting 1 to 3 months for your board back when you have the gun, the chip, and the socket to DIY.....

My only regret is not getting mine sooner. Takes hours of work down to minutes.

#56 74 days ago
Quoted from grantopia:

My only regret is not getting mine sooner. Takes hours of work down to minutes.

Ya was really expensive to get one into canada but so worth it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Howell, NJ
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 28.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 50.00
$ 18.95
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside