Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bender.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sixpakmopar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Retitled post as I have not found the issue.
    I am bench testing a sys. 6 driver with Leon's test rom and following Mark's guide to troubleshooting and repair http://www.flippers.info/system6repairpart5.asp

The first step is to test pins 2-17 on the 3 PIA's (for the one at IC11 says to ground pins on 2J3 to test OUTPUTS 2-9) I did this one pin at a time and get a pulse on each. Now under the switch matrix input test it calls these pins INPUTS and describes grounding each pin on conn. 2J3 and checking the PIA at IC10 (pins 2-9 I assume) for a pulse. The confusion I have is that these pins (2-17 on all 3 PIA's)were already checked for a pulse in the first step and now am being directed to check again but by grounding the pins at conn.2J3 one by one. Since these pins already have a signal/pulse how is checking them again going to matter? Why is PIA at IC11 said to have inputs at pins 2-9 and also outputs at pins 2-9? My guess is there is reference to the wrong pins or the wrong PIA in these instructions but I am not sure what the error is.
    Thanks Ed

#2 10 years ago

I actually expected some sort of clarification or some sort of comments on this by now. Anybody???

#4 10 years ago

I know it has not been long.

#6 10 years ago

Thanks, will do some checking tomorrow.
    Ed

#7 10 years ago

Still have not figured this out. Any thoughts?

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

When running the leon diag rom. The PIAs will cycling high and low on the driver board except for half of the switch matrix PIA. To get the 2nd half of the switch matrix PIA to cycle, you need to ground the input connector and it cycles. Simple as that.

Sounds simple and logical. Makes perfect sense as well. What confuses me is on Marks pinball page it says to test x in the first step for pulse then a little further into the testing it says to test x again for pulse. If it was there before why test again? So I am assuming and trying to bring to light a typo/misdirection in the testing procedure on Marks page. If you read the PIA test procedure then go to the switch matrix test you should see what I am talking about.
    Ed

#13 10 years ago

Thanks, I did start to read through Leon's page but decided to try Mark's as Leon's is translated and some references struck me as odd, then I came across what seems to be an error on Mark's page which is the reason for this post.
    BTW I do have Han's testers and used them with time warp game roms and all tests good but also know this driver has an issue when installed in Black Knight which may not show up with the time warp roms so that is why I went to use Leon's test rom/Mark's page and stopped when I ran into the issue.
    Ed

#16 10 years ago

That could be, I am looking for an issue with the board(if I install this board a coil or more fires at power up and a fuse blows, put a different board in and all is perfectly fine, only variable is 2 different driver boards, one configured for sys. 7 w/zero Ohm resistors(problem board) and one for sys.6) but did not see any issue by doing this testing and that is what made me think there was some sort of misdirection in the testing outline.
    Ed

#18 10 years ago

I have tested with Leon's test chip and Leon's instructions and all appears good. I only have a single light test LED that I used instead of making one up with multiple lights. I had already tested the transistors with a meter and did not find any stuck. Someone else has a black knight post on here with a similar issue of a ball kicking into shooter lane at power up but also seems to have more issues involved. Maybe I will have to put it back in the game and test it hooked up to the sys. 7 MPU. Maybe I am looking for nothing. The reason I am putting this board in is because it was originally a black knight board with the 0 Ohm resistors,the board that came in my black knight does not have the 0 ohm resistors and seems to miss lighting/enabling the magna save sometimes.

Aside from this can anyone explain how to use Leon's test chip along with the Siegecraft testers on a bench for system 6. I have tried this with the game roms but that only tests what is on those roms as far as switches used.

Ed

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I do this so that the boards can be used in sys3-6 or 7 games without worry.

I did not think of them failing and the look is more uniform instead of wires but that is a very good point to consider.
    My bench is currently littered with leads from 30 or so replaced capacitors.
    I was going to do this for interchangeability but then found info saying it could cause an issue in a system 6 game so that made me unsure of what was correct. At that point I decided to swap boards between 2 machines that had 6 vs. 7 drivers interchanged which led to the rebuilt driver causing an issue.

Thanks

#24 10 years ago

My bench has an excuse because it is a 100+ year old cabinet makers bench with a trough in the back for wood shavings , just sweep the work surface junk into it and clean up at a later time.
    I have that bender, set of them actually.
    Just to clarify there is no problem with the zero Ohm (wire jumpers) when used in a system 6. That would suggest that something I read on the internet is Not true. Imagine that.

Ed

#25 10 years ago

Sorry, I am too slow

#28 10 years ago

I was just looking online and found a year old post here on pinside but could not figure out how to create a link to it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sixpakmopar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-am-confused?tu=sixpakmopar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.