Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Zampinator
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

So I posted a couple of my all time favorite games for sale. This took a couple months to decide. Do to the market fluctuation I was unsure were to price these at. I mean I had a good ballpark idea but really did to know for sure. I posted the nicest one were pinside market value said it was worth. Flame suit on!!! So I posted the. Second machine which is also nice but I would consider a good players machine. I figured I would keep whichever did not sell. Pinside market suggested average value at 8k ave. I posted at 7500 and crickets.

My question is this: how far off is market value on pinside. Everywhere I look both titles go for more so other than the whole PPS factor what am I missing?

#2 5 years ago

Sorry. You're killing me with the punctuation and spelling, chief.

What machines titles are you talking about? Condition? Pictures?

There's a lot of factors in machine pricing. I could have a machine spot-on in my asking price, but if there is no buyer in my geographic area and doesn't want shipping then it won't sell. Many times I have had to pass on a rightly priced title I wanted just because they were too far away.

#3 5 years ago

There are a lot of factors that go into pricing to sell. Probably the most important factor that people here tend to forget is that pinball machines are an expensive hobby, and few people have that kind of cash just sitting around. If you aren't part of the local pinball snobbery club, that means you are selling to the public. That could net you more money, IF your machine is in good condition and a popular theme (usually movie related). A high $$ value machine, but not on a well known theme, won't net you the desired outcome outside of the pinball community.

#4 5 years ago

MM and AFM are the only pins he has that would bring close to that asking price.

#5 5 years ago

The AFM looks like $6,500. MM moves at around $8,000. All usd. Just mho. Take it with a grain of salt.

#6 5 years ago

It can take a while to sell a high-cost pin at current market price. Plus, there are all these new games coming out, such as GB, so plenty of people are liquidating collections to buy it.

Now, if you put up a game well under current market value, then it would probably go quickly. And as the price comes further down below market value, the further someone might be willing to drive for it, so your geographical pool of potential buyers will grow a bit.

Also, detailed and in-focus photos of the inside, outside, boards, and playfield (both top and underside) help, as well as short gameplay videos.

#7 5 years ago

Good input thus far thank you. Sorry about spelling and punctuation. It is not my strong suite and I am typing from my phone. Yes mm and afm currently in marketplace for sale. I assumed it would take a while to sell, but did not expect so many lowball offers and hate of my pricing.
Just making sure I was in the ballpark.

Ebay and CL here I come

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Good input thus far thank you. Sorry about spelling and punctuation. It is not my strong suite and I am typing from my phone. Yes mm and afm currently in marketplace for sale. I assumed it would take a while to sell, but did not expect so many lowball offers and hate of my pricing.
Just making sure I was in the ballpark.

You are in the right ball park. It just takes a little more time to sell high end games. I always get low ball offers from people fishing for a desperate seller and anytime it's a pricy game there will be people being extra critical of the games condition. That' just part of trying to move a higher priced games.

#9 5 years ago

I usually find seriously interested parties will negotiate on price, not complain. I was interested in afm but geographic location is the downfall. Best of luck with your sale.

#10 5 years ago

And it's Summer...

A lot less action this time of year

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

what am I missing?

You should wait until all the new titles have shipped and people are waiting for the next to be announced. That is probably the best time to sell.

#12 5 years ago

right now it's a buyers market. Lots of games for sale because people are cashing in to buy GB and hobbit. so things are lower than they were 3 months ago.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I assumed it would take a while to sell, but did not expect so many lowball offers and hate of my pricing.

1. Bad timing (summer, GB hype train)

combined with

2. High end titles have dropped and continue to drop (few people are willing to buy what were traditionally thought of as A listers for north of 6k; esp when they can get the next new game for that price or less)

combined with

3. Threat of remake and percieved value in longer term. MMRr with AFMr as next brings greater instability to the high end market.

combined with

4. many people would need to ship when dealing in the high $ market and whom wants to ship when dealing with high value games (doubel edged)

Reality is that nice restored AFM sell for sub 8k (a Bryan Kelly full restore pimped out just sold for under 8k locally 2 months ago), so players condition are more like 6500. I think 6500 and local and your AFM woudl be sold.

Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Ebay and CL here I come

good idea! casting a wider net is always a good idea when trying to sell high $ games.

#14 5 years ago

I can actually concur with others have written. In general I think higher end titles take longer to move as your audience is naturally smaller due to people not having that kind of cash around. That's not to say they aren't out there. There's just fewer people.

I was in the market for a reasonably priced MM but I got in on MMr so I'm no longer looking. I also picked up AFM for around that price so I'm no longer looking for that either. If I hadn't already got in I would be interested in both your machines (and I am relatively local to you).

#15 5 years ago

A players AFM went for sub 6 in my area local pickup two weeks ago, so definitely think your games are priced to sit, not move. At least here. Who knows about eBay.

#16 5 years ago

Pinside value is slow to market changes and may consider High End restored games that increase the average abnormally. You can get a better idea watching what sells yourself in the threads. The AFM is priced too high because it's not that nice (bare wood on the playfield) and it's priced almost the same as AFMr will most likely be which will include a color DMD and a brand new playfield. Original is definitely better than remake, but not if the condition is too worn.

#17 5 years ago

You are receiving very good replies. It is nice to see a thread that is so respectful and full of intelligent and accurate information.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Pinside value is slow to market changes and may consider High End restored games that increase the average abnormally. You can get a better idea watching what sells yourself in the threads. The AFM is priced too high because it's not that nice (bare wood on the playfield) and it's priced almost the same as AFMr will most likely be which will include a color DMD and a brand new playfield. Original is definitely better than remake, but not if the condition is too worn.

AFMr would include a new playfield, of course, but ask the MMr folks about how the "included color DMD" is working out before making assumptions on that one ...

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Who knows about eBay.

Put it up for a no reserve auction, then you'll get the actual market value of it at the moment the auction closes.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

And it's Summer...
A lot less action this time of year

Exactly-Summer is usually stale because people are busy and outside.
Timing is everything as well as supply and demand. I have found when a title does not sell and there are crickets let the dust settle and give it some time and then re-list it.

#21 5 years ago

People want what's new versus what's old. Lots of great games from the past out there, but with GB, TBL, TH, FullT, Alien, Star Wars, RZ, Dominos all out or coming out soon, you can see why people are either saving or selling vs buying old.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

AFMr would include a new playfield, of course, but ask the MMr folks about how the "included color DMD" is working out before making assumptions on that one ...

Didn't MMr come with a color DMD, where you could pick any 1 color you want? Did they charge extra for the "full color" software?

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Didn't MMr come with a color DMD, where you could pick any 1 color you want? Did they charge extra for the "full color" software?

MMr comes with an LCD screen not a DMD, that you can pick a color, yes. The full color software package is not available yet but you will have to purchase it when it does come out.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from LadySlingshot:

People want what's new versus what's old. Lots of great games from the past out there, but with GB, TBL, TH, FullT, Alien, Star Wars, RZ, Dominos all out or coming out soon, you can see why people are either saving or selling vs buying old.

actually Chris, I would say the opposite if true for many people.

I have been on a terror of buying old classics and have very little interest in all but a slect few new games.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I have been on a terror of buying old classics and have very little interest in all but a slect few new games.

Agreed. I started on the older stuff and kept upgrading. Years ago I completed my "cookie cutter" collection. I will play the new stuff where available. But collection wise I have been working my way backward again.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I agree it's a buyer's market right now, because it's summer & all of the new title's coming out. I bought my AFM I've always wanted & I'm saving funds for the MB I've always wanted.
I'll pick up a GB later, they'll be making those for awhile.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside