(Topic ID: 74685)

I am a fool--tempered glass mark

By smokey_789

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Thought I would save a few bucks and get a playfield glass from my local auto glass shop. It has the tempered glass insignia (etched?) into the corner. NOW what?

#2 10 years ago

Where is it? How large is it?

Would it be covered by the lockdown bar?

Chris

#3 10 years ago

Haven't got it out of the truck yet. About an inch from the corner, dime size. It hadn't occurred to me that the lock bar might cover it up. Whew! Maybe premature panic. Thanks for the hope!

#4 10 years ago

Apparently everyone in the glass business thinks everyone outside the glass business should know that you have to specify "no logo" when ordering glass to get just plain glass.

Happened to me once. I argued the fact that the Average Joe would not know that you had to explicitly mention you didn't want a logo. My local glass place was nice enough to take it back and in a few days I had a plain glass.

So now whenever I order glass, I always specify "no logo".

#5 10 years ago

Whether it is under the lock bar, or shoved way up in the back corner, I doubt anyone is going to notice... but good to know for when I order a sheet!

#6 10 years ago

The gal told me that, by law, the glass she orders (she doesn't stock it) HAS to have that stamp. Well that's probably BS and I told her that the ones I order from pinball supply houses never have them. She just shrugged. Going down now to see what it looks like.

#7 10 years ago

WHEW! I lucked out. Put the stamp in upper left corner of STTNG. Can't see it. Lock bar would not have covered it. In future, specify no logo. I have been known to switch glass top to bottom in order to hide air ball scratches. You can't do this with the logo showing at the apron. (Saved $40.00 though)

#8 10 years ago

Don't see the big deal. I've had glass made for my Bingo machines as the size is different from flipper games and I was asked if I wanted the "Tempered" stamp or not. Heck yeah I wanted it. I cant even begin to find it these days. The bottom arch or top arch is where it is located.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from smokey_789:

The gal told me that, by law, the glass she orders (she doesn't stock it) HAS to have that stamp. Well that's probably BS and I told her that the ones I order from pinball supply houses never have them. She just shrugged. Going down now to see what it looks like.

Well. depending on the local laws in your state, yes, it has to be there, but only in certain applications, like in a shower stall that a licensed contractor is installing or similar.

Pinball machines? Probably not.

Just ask for "no bug".

RussMyers

#10 10 years ago

I get the bug about a third of the time even when I tell them to write no bug all over the order. The bug itself is etched and has ink in it. The glass shop can buff out the white and make the bug nearly invisible. Last time they buffed out three sheets for me!

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from smokey_789:

WHEW! I lucked out. Put the stamp in upper left corner of STTNG. Can't see it. Lock bar would not have covered it. In future, specify no logo. I have been known to switch glass top to bottom in order to hide air ball scratches. You can't do this with the logo showing at the apron. (Saved $40.00 though)

Saved $40 How much you payin for glass? Up here my guy sell's me glass (no logo) for $40 delivered.

#12 10 years ago

if you saved $40 you must have gotten it for free because a sheet of widebody glass should only be about $30-35.

#13 10 years ago

Arghh. I can never find the good deals. Wide body from Marco is close to $100 with shipping. $60 picked up local. New glass shop opened up the road a couple months ago and quoted $20. When I went back last week to order, there were signs posted everywhere "this property has been SEIZED- No trespassing by order of County Sheriff. Argh.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from smokey_789:

New glass shop opened up the road a couple months ago and quoted $20. When I went back last week to order, there were signs posted everywhere "this property has been SEIZED- No trespassing by order of County Sheriff. Argh.

I guess the only reason they were able to offer the glass so cheaply was because the business was a money laundering front ...

#15 10 years ago

local glass shop here is owned by an EM pinhead.
    I get all my glass made there.

You could install the glass with the logo near the top and put a stern Made in USA sticker or something on it.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

put a stern Made in USA sticker or something on it.

LOL

#17 10 years ago

Much ado about nothing.

Shiny new, unscratched, tempered glass with a tiny logo in one corner is infinitely better than old, beat up glass without a logo.

Just play your games and enjoy them.

-Mark

#18 10 years ago

No doubt--couldn't BELIEVE the difference between old glass and new!

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from smokey_789:

No doubt--couldn't BELIEVE the difference between old glass and new!

I don't do it often, but when I do buy a new sheet of glass, it certainly makes the playfield shine through, especially with it powered on!

I have some pretty hideous looking glass around here from all the project games I have bought over the years, so new glass is certainly an inexpensive "upgrade," one which is very useful for both practicality and aesthetics. I find it much more useful than most mods and LED'ing everything I see around here.

However, now that I have started operating, I don't worry about it much for location games. I just try to get the locations to keep the glass clean in-between collections and service calls!

-Mark

#20 10 years ago

Since you live in Greenville OH.... Come up to the Akron show in the spring and you can stock up on playfield glass at reasonable prices with no shipping. Mike Pacak usually has playfield glass at the show.

#21 10 years ago

Or use Invisiglass; not seeing is believing.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from marcos:

Much ado about nothing.
    Shiny new, unscratched, tempered glass with a tiny logo in one corner is infinitely better than old, beat up glass without a logo.
    Just play your games and enjoy them.
    -Mark

True that. If your playin the game and you notice it YOU AINT PLAYIN HARD ENOUGH.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-am-a-fool-tempered-glass-mark and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.