Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Yoko2una
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should I have killed this boy?”

• Yes 16 votes
      53%
    • Of course 14 votes
      47%

(30 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

d1905c69f4828eec9b7dcb97c37b184898f242a0 (resized).jpg
    20210320_195959 (resized).jpg
    god-dammit-kyle (resized).jpg
    53A16AF6-4DE1-4B35-A237-4E6D06F10A0E (resized).jpeg
    20210628_183602 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider doctor6.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

So I'm restoring a Cyclone. Doing a fairly extensive restore on it, and I had to touch up the mystery wheel. First of all, it is already busted in the back. Finding a new wheel WITH a sticker on it is mission impossible. Speaking of the sticker, that was pretty badly scratched in a few places where a lot of white showed where it is supposed to be blue.

So out of desperation, I decided to go to Menards and have them color match the unsightly spot. This is where I meet my nemesis.

His name was Kyle. I told Kyle what it was that I had hoped to do, and he started asking question I could never know the answer to. "What kind of paint do you want?" I said, "whatever matches best with this. You see, I'm trying to restore this and I want it to be as close as I can." He said how he meant "Dutchboy" or "Paint... um... Brothers." Whatever the fuck paint companies there are. I obviously made that last one up. I told him how I didn't know. Just anything to match this as best as he could, and that he was the expert.

Before I continue this story, I'm a bit... how should I put it... eccentric. I like things to be nice and a certain way. I mean, my god, I'm painting a 34 year old wheel that nobody is ever gonna see for crying out loud.

He takes it from me, and after some blah blahs, he takes it to his machine. He is handling this unobtanium wheel with zero fucks. He scratches at the sticker a bit, trying to determine what to do. Inside I scream, but outwardly i said, "just be careful with this. I'm trying to restore this please." Like, the last thing I need is to touch up more and have it look even more like ass.

So good ol Kyle pushes the wheel up to the eye, and as it is pushing (gridning) against the metal he sorta spins it a few times. I am freaking out. He then looks at it and starts to PICK THE DECAL OFF. I said "Good God, don't DO that! Bro, for Christ sake I'm trying to restore it." After a lot more hamfistery, he drops it on the ground. Did I tell you it already was cracked? Like, why?

So I finally just pick but up off the floor and find the closest color in the swatches i could find. Truth be told, I didnt wish to see what this idiot's encore was going to be. I ask him to make that paint instead because I didnt wish to see what he would do next.

I... I guess that's the end of the story. No real climax or end. I guess the paint matches pretty well. I attached a pic so you can see how it's coming along.

20210628_183602 (resized).jpg20210628_183602 (resized).jpg

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

My son is Kyle, he doesn't know much about paint but he is the guy who goes behind enemy lines and put a laser designator on a target so the air force boys can drop ordinance on it.
    Here is a picture of him after giving a speech at West Point with a 4 star. He is a US Army cavalry scout.[quoted image]

This may be the oddest random flex I have ever seen. But thank you for your service.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from fnord:

This reminds me of when I was trying out a local framer after moving to a new area.
    The guy had great reviews online, he knew what he was talking about when it came to using archival materials and his prices were great.
    I handed him the $1800 print I wanted framed and he laid it out on his bench.
    He then proceeded to measure it with a meter long stick, and because it was just longer than that on one side he marked it with a pencil so he cloud slide the stick down and get the full measurement.
    I almost started screaming when I saw what he did with the pencil. Luckily he was able to fully remove the mark without damage but jtfc who does that?
    Needless to say I told him I'd think about it and took the print back. He's only handled cheap art for me since then because his prices are still very good.

Wow. What in the actual hell. Yep, sounds very similar.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Pretty sure I can guess what Kyle thinks of this angry middle aged OCD man at the counter asking him to help repair his antique toy.

Bro, I wasnt even angry the first few times he fucked up. Thanks for your input, super helpful.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider doctor6.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-almost-killed-a-child-at-menards?tu=doctor6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.