(Topic ID: 147927)

I admit it...I like Hires and Scan on ColorDmd!!!

By MK6PIN

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Favorite mode for colordmd”

• Tiles 3 votes
      2%
    • Small dots 12 votes
      9%
    • DOTSXL 44 votes
      35%
    • Hires 36 votes
      28%
    • Scan 32 votes
      25%

(127 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    HiresRootBeerLogo_(resized).jpg
    There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, as DOTSXL rule opinion wise ( Aurich, you still rule, btw...)...I just really, really like the smoothing effects, and don't really care about the nostalgia part w the dots....granted, artifacts are tough on IM, but my TSPP and TAF absolutely rock in hires mode.....am I the only one? Think I'll add a poll for fun....( this is a FUN discussion, btw)....mark

#2 8 years ago

Using Sigmas in my TZ, TRONLE, and WCS all in single color, hires or scan mode ( TRON uses the color changing serial port to match the speaker light kit)

#3 8 years ago

Scan is my favourite

#4 8 years ago

I am in the same boat. The nostalgia factor is nothing to me. I grew up playing pinball before DMD. During the DMD era I was not playing pinball much. When I got my first game, LOTR, it was a purchase on a whim after playing Pinball Arcade Williams Collection. When I received the game it blew me away with the exception of the Dot Matrix display which seemed so antiquated compared with the rest of the package.
    I want the best images possible on the display and SCAN mode usually is that to me.
    For new/future games I expect LCD video content, not dots.

#5 8 years ago

I own 14 ColorDMDs in my games. DotsXL wins hands down for the majority. But those are also mostly the WPC games. Tile looks good in MM and even LOTR. But DotsXL just wins. I have Scan in TZ and Hi Rez in AC/DC.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

I own 14 ColorDMDs in my games. DotsXL wins hands down for the majority. But those are also mostly the WPC games. Tile looks good in MM and even LOTR. But DotsXL just wins. I have Scan in TZ and Hi Rez in AC/DC.

Whew....and 41 games too!!!....major props to you regardless....I can't keep all 9 of mine running right at one time, much less that many....I WANT to like DOTSXL, but scan or hires makes it look closer to real animation for me ( maybe more modern looking, I guess)

#7 8 years ago

I have all mine set on dotsxl.
    Scan looks pretty darn good on TSPP

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Whew....and 41 games too!!!....major props to you regardless....I can't keep all 9 of mine running right at one time, much less that many....I WANT to like DOTSXL, but scan or hires makes it look closer to real animation for me ( maybe more modern looking, I guess)

Ha, if you think all are running you are crazy. First 22 are setup and running in the house. Everywhere. 3 bedroom ranch means basement, bedroom, living room. And every time I go to play a few there is always an issue from switch to bulb popping up.

Then I put 3 in the local pinball club The Sanctum and already I need to do some work on a trough issues. 2 are projects that need the top ends put back on and 2 are duplicate /basket cases whose fate should be to put back together, but as duplicates may be done after my time on Earth.

Pinball people who stop by my house are impressed than I have a large playable collection of the classics. But Out-Of-Order signs are a part of life. I also have a large Video game collection.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Ha, if you think all are running you are crazy. First 22 are setup and running in the house. Everywhere. 3 bedroom ranch means basement, bedroom, living room. And every time I go to play a few there is always an issue from switch to bulb popping up.
    Then I put 3 in the local pinball club The Sanctum and already I need to do some work on a trough issues. 2 are projects that need the top ends put back on and 2 are duplicate /basket cases whose fate should be to put back together, but as duplicates may be done after my time on Earth.
    Pinball people who stop by my house are impressed than I have a large playable collection of the classics. But Out-Of-Order signs are a part of life. I also have a large Video game collection.

Good grief man...makes me tired just thinking about it....that's awesome!!!

#10 8 years ago

I like HiRes the best but some games look better with dots or scan.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

And I have to keep the other 33 running at The Sanctum that don't belong to You

#12 8 years ago

I'll have to try it, but what is the scan setting?

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I'll have to try it, but what is the scan setting?

Still smooth, but not quite the " edge" of hires....that's the technical explanation....

#14 8 years ago

It is my setting on every game except creech...which I love xl dots on. Oh, and pirates, which i am STILL WAITING FOR!

#15 8 years ago

I have dotsxl running on my Road Show which is amazing, but the hi res on my TSPP is another level. I like watching other people play, just to watch the DMD. Such a huge upgrade on any machine, I'm sure my next purchase will be followed by an order for a Color DMD , so I need to figure it in my budget.

#16 8 years ago

Have my Met & Lotr on Hires, looks great, dots are old sckol

#17 8 years ago

Hires on all games here! I feel like you can see the animations better. With orange little dots I missed a lot of the graphics. Awesome on the 90's titles but check out Metallica on hires if you're not convinced.

#18 8 years ago

HiresRootBeerLogo_(resized).jpgHiresRootBeerLogo_(resized).jpg

#19 8 years ago

Vote #2 for small dots here I guess. I am outnumbered.

#20 8 years ago

Hires for the ones I have. I think the best one in Hires is Flintstones.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

And I have to keep the other 33 running at The Sanctum that don't belong to You

I thought The Sanctum had a clan of underpants gnomes that came out every night and fixed them for you.

#22 8 years ago

Judge Dredd looks great in scan or hi-res because it's based on a comic book. Same goes for my Shadow.

Although both are in XL mode right now because I wanted to give it a fair shot. But I'll be switching the settings back.

#23 8 years ago

DotsXL on CREECH and NGG
    High res on AC/DC, TSPP, and MB

#24 8 years ago

DotsXL forever. It has nothing to do with nostalgia, it's the presentation of the art. The smooth modes don't make TSPP look like the show - it fills in details that shouldn't be there - and everything has stair-step edges. Since dots are uniformily round, they trick your brain into thinking things are smoother than they actually are, and also add the illusion of more texture and detail because the artist was using specific tricks to make things look good at that resolution. So many instances of characters looking really cool with dots but derpy when smoothed. IMO smooth modes make the graphics look more outdated because it's bringing out flaws that you wouldn't notice otherwise.

#25 8 years ago

Tight vote in the polls.....

#26 8 years ago

Scan/Hi-res look terrible on the video clips in Iron Man. DotsXL looks much better. Way less muddy and blurry.

#27 8 years ago

We just got a color DMD for Metallica for Christmas.
    So far we keep going back and forth on Large Dots and Scan modes.
    High res is not even an option because it does not have the color shading that scan offers.

#28 8 years ago

Was using Scan mode for our Metallica for the past week, just switched to HiRes. I think I like HiRes better than Scan, even without the shading capabilities. DotsXL just doesn't look right when its in color. It's 2015, almost 2016... why do Dots even exist on modern pinball machines still?

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

Was using Scan mode for our Metallica for the past week, just switched to HiRes. I think I like HiRes better than Scan, even without the shading capabilities. DotsXL just doesn't look right when its in color. It's 2015, almost 2016... why do Dots even exist on modern pinball machines still?

Like it or not, the artwork was done as dots in "dots resolution". HiRes doesn't make it look like 2016 animated material...it makes it look more dated and degrades the intention of the art. DotsXL keeps it "retro cool" & accurate to the artist's intentions.

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Like it or not, the artwork was done as dots in "dots resolution". HiRes doesn't make it look like 2016 animated material...it makes it look more dated and degrades the intention of the art. DotsXL keeps it "retro cool" & accurate to the artist's intentions.

Retro cool? Dots were the technology 30 years ago. Pinball is always behind on adoption by at least 10 years. I don't find that cool at all. It causes non-pinheads to turn their noses up to the games which means less new people in the hobby than there could have been.

#31 8 years ago

Agreed 100%.

Showed the DotsXL mode to my wife and 3 friends the other day and they asked why they even have that mode because it looks horrible. Only one of those friends owns another pin. Scan or HiRes to us. But it really comes down to preference- I can't force anyone to like Pepsi if they think Coca-Cola is better.

#32 8 years ago

And dotxl has overtaken scan in the poll, even though many positive posts for the opposite. I agree, however, IM video clips are tough to watch, but I dont see the amazing difference in quality in them w dotsxl (there is a difference though). The dots are large and bright, but scan looks better to me in all the other stuff (scores, basic animations, etc.)...I get it.....but guess I'm just a smoothy.....

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

And dotxl has overtaken scan in the poll, even though many positive posts for the opposite. I agree, however, IM video clips are tough to watch, but I dont see the amazing difference in quality in them w dotsxl (there is a difference though). The dots are large and bright, but scan looks better to me in all the other stuff (scores, basic animations, etc.)...I get it.....but guess I'm just a smoothy.....

HIRES and SCAN are similar and have 40 votes together, the dots and tiles have 34 votes together. Clearly there is a split in what people like. We should all be appreciative of the choices Randy has given with this tool. There is no wrong or right, just opinions.

#34 8 years ago

DotsXL for all here. The animations were made with dots and I feel they look best in dots. It doesn't look right to me trying to make something it's not. BUT if Super Mario Bros. ever gets made I would love to see it in the tiles setting.

#35 8 years ago

Ha...I forget which setting I have on Metallica...but they are pretty big and no space betwixed them.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

HIRES and SCAN are similar and have 40 votes together, the dots and tiles have 34 votes together. Clearly there is a split in what people like. We should all be appreciative of the choices Rick has given with this tool. There is no wrong or right, just opinions.

Exactly.......I freakin love colordmd.....best mod ever!!!! As stated in the beginning, this is a "fun" topic to be discussed based on personal opinion.....very cool to see it's stayed that way, and different strokes for different folks......win/ win!!!!

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

We should all be appreciative of the choices Rick has given with this tool.

Who is Rick? Don't you mean Randy at ColorDMD?

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Who is Rick? Don't you mean Randy at ColorDMD?

whoops , yes Randy. Sorry.

#39 8 years ago

Doesn't matter to me how anyone else has their $420 mod configured. Just matters what we prefer here.

#40 8 years ago

Anyone care to see WOZ in dots?

#41 8 years ago

I prefer color !!! Lots of color !!!

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

Anyone care to see WOZ in dots?

I prefer not to see it at all.

Ever.

#43 8 years ago

Coke is way better than Pepsi, fyi

#44 8 years ago

I always chose water when Coke isn't an option

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Coke is way better than Pepsi, fyi

This is true, actually.....but I don't drink soda anymore ( unless there is Jack w it)....

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

This is true, actually.....but I don't drink soda anymore ( unless there is Jack w it)....

Me too.

#47 8 years ago

Exactly why I prefer coke..."jack and Pepsi" has a horrible ring to it.

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

I agree that Scan/Hi-res looks good on the animations and menus. It just doesn't translate very well to video clips. If I had a game that didn't have video clips; I might use scan.

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Exactly why I prefer coke..."jack and Pepsi" has a horrible ring to it.

agreed...that combo should be banned on principle alone......

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gorno:

I agree that Scan/Hi-res looks good on the animations and menus. It just doesn't translate very well to video clips. If I had a game that didn't have video clips; I might use scan.

That's my take.....guess you can't have everything you want....but colordmd is a win, period....I couldn't make out the animations at all w standard DMD ( except TRON, which I suspect will blow people's minds in color...)

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-admit-iti-like-hires-and-scan-on-colordmd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.