(Topic ID: 243613)

I Accidently Tried to Burn Down My local Stern Dealer (sorry Stern)

By whthrs166

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by whthrs166
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210509_145255 (resized).jpg
    20180225_175234 (resized).jpg
    20180226_102223 (resized).jpg
    20180225_175234 (resized).jpg
    20180226_102223 (resized).jpg
    20160202_201258 (resized).jpg
    be094c1f117a2c489e1609d467f70cabcc5efafb (resized).png
    tenor (4).gif
    20190524_085958_resized (resized).jpg
    F144F733-6E8E-4530-AA9B-E8254777C25F (resized).jpeg
    E6EEA53C-CD34-451C-8EB0-C012C773F885 (resized).jpeg

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

What if a stupid drunk buddy spills his beer on your pin?

Hit him with his beer bottle.

#102 4 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

Hit him with his beer bottle.

Believe me, that would be letting him off easy if that happened.

#103 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ronkz650:

How would 6v burn like a spark plug across a gap?

Oh, it'll definitely happen. In my younger and much more inexperienced years I overfused the GI circuit of my TZ and discovered this. Reaction time upon noticing smoke streaming from under the right slingshot was about 3-4 seconds.

Pulled up the playfield after my heart rate went down to normal and fired it up (not literally) for a couple seconds to see what I could see, and indeed there were tiny sparks in the bottom of the GI socket. I suspect if it were DC rather than AC, a constant arc would have been easy to create.

(The game was fine BTW, and now has the proper fuse and a new socket.)

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

Oh, it'll definitely happen. In my younger and much more inexperienced years I overfused the GI circuit of my TZ and discovered this. Reaction time upon noticing smoke streaming from under the right slingshot was about 3-4 seconds.
    Pulled up the playfield after my heart rate went down to normal and fired it up (not literally) for a couple seconds to see what I could see, and indeed there were tiny sparks in the bottom of the GI socket. I suspect if it were DC rather than AC, a constant arc would have been easy to create.
    (The game was fine BTW, and now has the proper fuse and a new socket.)

Can't be as bad as accidentally creating a flaming heater from a flipper spring!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-coil-spring-lights-up-lile-heater-coil

#105 4 years ago

^^^ Thats a good one LOL

1 year later
    #106 3 years ago

Finally (since covid) I returned to GEX and noticed that If my name and pic was on the wall, I had been removed. I did take that Stern Tour during Expo in 2019. Met Gary Stern, but failed to mention the burning BM66 incident. (Probably for the best). I am still seeing threads with coil meltdowns and node board failures so this issue is still ongoing.

3 months later
    #107 2 years ago

Just had a Mystery Smoke Event with my AFM that I picked up a few weeks ago. Yep you heard it right, mystery smoke. Turn it on and out comes a big puff of smoke with a sizzling sound. Almost blew out a kidney lunging to turn it off. ( probably would have suffered multiple contusions if it had been a BM66 due to the location of the off switch) I removed the PDB and was amazed at how it looked like someone had tossed it into an open camp fire. But I learned after studying it, that all the charred damage was from a previous event before I owned it. As I was dumbfounded I reinstalled the board and powered up the machine to find that the game worked fine. Head Scratcher is understatement here! It’s now a week later and my gameroom finally doesn’t smell like burned plastic. The machine still plays fine.
    I have had to keep the machine turned off due to “the BuzKill” Whats the Buzkill?
    Oh, thats the mystery LOUD dryer signal sound that happens at random due to a sound rom problem with the first version of software for AFM. Got the new firmware yesterday and the game is back up and running. Finally!

#108 2 years ago

Late to this thread but wanted to add my solution to the risk of pin fires. My 7 pins are connected to two separate 16A circuits that both run through the same wall connector so whenever I leave the room I unplug it and all pins are then mechanically cut off from electricity.
    20210509_145255 (resized).jpg20210509_145255 (resized).jpg

This will prevent any fires (when I'm not there) or electrical problems due to power surges, lightning and so on. Also it's nice to have an easy way to be sure a pin have zero power when fixing stuff inside it.

#109 2 years ago

Wonder if modern pins use flame resistant PC boards?

#110 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Wonder if modern pins use flame resistant PC boards?

Define modern... I don’t know if the AFM PDB is flame resistant, but the section for the GI got so hot that the board warped. Someone replaced the diode section with jumpers. It is an electronic marvel that it even works at all.

#111 2 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

Define modern... I don’t know if the AFM PDB is flame resistant, but the section for the GI got so hot that the board warped. Someone replaced the diode section with jumpers. It is an electronic marvel that it even works at all.

I guess I would define that as when (if) metal film resistors where ever used. The old carbon resistors weren't obviously flame proof, so kind of a moot point if the PCB was flame proof if all the resistors could catch fire.

Wonder if there were consumer standards enacted that mandated electrical components that were less susceptible to catch fire?

#112 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

to this thread but wanted to add my solution to the risk of pin fires. My 7 pins are connected to two separate 16A circuits that both run through the same wall connector so whenever I leave the room I unplug it and all pins are then mechanically cut off from electricity.

Thats taking safe to a whole new level!

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-accidently-tried-to-burn-down-my-local-stern-dealer-sorry-stern/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.