6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I love pinball. The advent of the barcade has me seeking them out, just to try as many pins as I can...but, I find myself disappointed many times. Not with what these places offer, but if the pin is not setup properly, it kills the experience...not to mention if things are broken with the pin (I know, it happens). I own one of the pickiest pins, the new Star Wars by Stern. Mine is set up perfect...and plays like a dream. Recently I went to a barcade with a ton of great pins. The SW pro there was setup poorly and was a drain monster...I can see why many hate it...but if setup properly, it is one of the best pins I’ve played IMO. Does anyone else feel disappointed when it comes to public pins if they aren’t properly cared for or setup? Maybe I just need to relax...but it seriously irritates me.

#2 6 years ago

not at all
    pinball is meant to be fun, if features are not working, or the game does not feel right, then you will not have fun

if it is not fun fir the casual player, then they write off all pinball as no fun

#3 6 years ago

Half the time, I just want to ask for the keys and a c-wrench and do my own adjustments.

#4 6 years ago

If a pin is misaligned, missing pieces, or having issues, I could lead to a miserable experience. I like to go to places that keep their pins in great shape, it makes the experience much more enjoyable. Like a previous poster said, what if your first few experiences playing pinball were half broken machines, you probably wouldn’t bother playing much.

#5 6 years ago

I was at a barcade a couple of years ago and the pins were so horribly leveled that I almost turtled them then and there. Couple more beers and I probably would have. It was so bad, balls that you thought were falling down to the flipper ended up sdtm.

#6 6 years ago

I find it extra frustrating when you find a game you’ve never played before, and you spend most of your session trying to figure out all the rules only to find half the shots don’t register.

I wish there was a button code you could tap in to see what switches are down...

#7 6 years ago

Its been refreshing to see more care going into the Barcades these past couple of years. Typically, someone comes out weekly for light maintenance, waxing, etc.
    Its annoying seeing pins neglected or abused in the wild. I will only go to Barcades that i know service their machines weekly, or repair the machine quickly.

#8 6 years ago

Of course, I’d prefer a well set up machine in perfect condition, but I’m also kind of nostalgic for the days when I’d while away my lunch hour in pizza joints on machines with “features” that I’d eventually become an expert at working around. Like they say, if you can’t be with the one you love, love the one you’re with.

#9 6 years ago

I’m lucky to be close to two great pinball places, CP and Padavans. But, one place nearby, Two Plumbers, has gotta have the worst pinball setup I’ve ever seen in public. No lighting, horribly setup, and ownership doesn’t care as the Pinball Map reviews have stated it, and it never changes. Shitty pinball barcades are the worst!

#10 6 years ago

If something isn't right then ask for their log book and write it down. Any place worth going to will have one. My last visit I logged a shooter rod that was so sticky you could barely get a ball out of shooter lane. And one game with no sound. But with as many pins as they have it was only a tad annoying at best.
    And if I go back in a few days I am sure issues will be looked at as I wrote them down.

#11 6 years ago

It's frustrating but great practice for tournaments to learn to play "as is". It will absolutely make you a better player to learn to adjust to a badly set up or maintained game.

#12 6 years ago

Me too.

#13 6 years ago

I was really disappointed the last time I took some friends and family to the Santa Cruz boardwalk for some pinball. Every machine we played had major issues. Broken parts, non-working flippers, something. I was pretty disgusted, and the newbies I brought were not exactly impressed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i%e2%80%99m-a-pinball-snob?hl=thatonedude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.