Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C9EF8109-6072-42B1-A8B7-EDC869029EF3 (resized).jpeg
    9781770412637_p0_v3_s550x406 (resized).jpg
    There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

Do you think The new JJP game would be as popular if it were Van Halen instead of Guns and Roses. Popularity wise I think VH was the same as GnR as was the show they put on. I would have to give GnR the edge over the two if I had to pick. I always thought a VH pin would be great but they , along with Aerosmith were/are my favorite bands. So nothing against GnR as this game is gonna be the shit and I cant wait till it is in my house, I might even invite people over to play it if there is anyone who would want to put up with my ass, but I am curious as to what others think. Would you be as batshit over this same pin or one close to the same if the band was VH instead of GnR?

#3 3 years ago

Well shit, I guess I didnt see this one. GnR for the win. Lets throw Axil Rose and DLR on stage together and see what happens. Who is the better singer and who has the bigger ego?

#4 3 years ago

That's a tuffy. They both have highs, but both have lows.

Let's leave Gary Charone out of course, then it becomes GNRs horrible wussy ballads vs any Hager era soft rock....OUCH!

If it's pickable like TF and I can avoid Hager, easy pick to go VH.

#5 3 years ago

I personally like both bands. It would be cool if someone (Stern, JJP, etc) would have a Van Halen "The Best of Both Worlds" game that played both Sammy and David Lee Roth. Maybe on one side (sideart) could be DLR and the other side Sammy. Then when game starts it would ask you which singer you would like to play.

#6 3 years ago

I think the DLR / Sammy split is just too much. You'd have to go one way or another and that would just piss too many people off. You can't do both it would be a huge pain in the ass dealing with both of those assholes.

Say what you will about GNR and the mess it's been since about 1993, but Axl has always been the mainstay.

#7 3 years ago

I would say Van Halen for sure except it would likely include Sammy Hagar era which would make me throw up in my mouth a little.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think the DLR / Sammy split is just too much. You'd have to go one way or another and that would just piss too many people off. You can't do both it would be a huge pain in the ass dealing with both of those assholes.
    Say what you will about GNR and the mess it's been since about 1993, but Axl has always been the mainstay.

I would have a hard time choosing between the two. The Sammy VH was more refined.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I would have a hard time choosing between the two. The Sammy VH was more refined.

yes it was ... like an aged cheez

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

I personally like both bands. It would be cool if someone (Stern, JJP, etc) would have a Van Halen "The Best of Both Worlds" game that played both Sammy and David Lee Roth. Maybe on one side (sideart) could be DLR and the other side Sammy. Then when game starts it would ask you which singer you would like to play.

Please no Hagar. VH tanked after Roth left in my opinion.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I actually met Sammy Hagar and I have to tell that Sammy is a righteous dude!

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

I would say Van Halen for sure except it would likely include Sammy Hagar era which would make me throw up in my mouth a little.

Yes, this.

#13 3 years ago

Women and children should vote first.

Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Please no Hagar. VH tanked after Roth left in my opinion.

Facts.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Women and children should vote first.

You really got me : )

#15 3 years ago

Why no love for Sammy. He was a rising star even in the Montrose days and he was as big as VH on his own. He did save VH. What do you think would have happened to them if they had picked any or their other people they had in mind to take DLRs place.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

It would be cool if someone (Stern, JJP, etc) would have a Van Halen "The Best of Both Worlds" game that played both Sammy and David Lee Roth. Maybe on one side (sideart) could be DLR and the other side Sammy. Then when game starts it would ask you which singer you would like to play.

Could this be magic?

#17 3 years ago

I would choose Van Halen

#18 3 years ago

Van halen had 4 strait no 1 albums with Hagar, not one with DLR. He saved VH.
    5150 and OU812 are fantastic albums.

Go ahead and throw up in your mouth.

But yes I'll take a DLR VH invasion tour pin.

Message from the Red Rocker Freeeek Kingdom.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

I actually met Sammy Hagar and I have to tell that Sammy is a righteous dude!

I would def party with Sammy. And I’m sure I couldn’t stand more than 10 minutes alone with Roth.

But classic VH rules !!

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Why no love for Sammy. He was a rising star even in the Montrose days and he was as big as VH on his own. He did save VH. What do you think would have happened to them if they had picked any or their other people they had in mind to take DLRs place.

They went from the ultimate California party rock band to bland lightweight soccer mom Car pool music with Hagar! There’s a good song here or there but it’s just not my cup of tea. And Hagar’s lyrics are atrocious!

Only time will tell if we stand the test of time?!

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

DLR can explain why better than I can

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Only time will tell if we stand the test of time?!

F.U.C.K

#23 3 years ago

A Van Helion pin should be all about the 2 lead singers. Hitting certain targets, at certain times, in certain sequences plays DLR or Hagar music.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I would def party with Sammy. And I’m sure I couldn’t stand more than 10 minutes alone with Roth.
    But classic VH rules !!

Didn’t you know, DLR IS the party.

#25 3 years ago

When people say they prefer Van Hagar over Van Halen I usually chuckle and say “haha good one”. Sometimes they’re actually serious. I know everyone has their own taste but come on....

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Why no love for Sammy...

Because there isn't one van Hager song that id turn up on the radio if I'm driving. It's soft, it saccharine, weak sauce.
    But i guess getting more #1 records means something to someone? Weird.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Sometimes they’re actually serious.

No. There's a big difference between being "serious" and "very very confused" maybe hard of hearing or simply quite ill There isn't one song I like from the Hagar yrs, it was no longer Van Halen. But This...................

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ain't that the truth! Hagar is still partying hard at like 80 years old ... Roth always comes across as slightly mental.

What the “Hagar ruined VH” guys always forget, Eddie had most of the 5150 stuff written BEFORE Hagar was even in the picture.

Listen to 1984. It’s clearly obvious that’s the direction the band was heading moving forward. Eddie had bought some synths - and jeez was he gonna use them!

Personally, I’m a VH1/Fair Warning guy .. but to blame Hagar for the 5150 years is barking up the wrong tree.

Carry on.

rd

#29 3 years ago

I don’t know who was writing the material but it didn’t sound like Sammy’s stuff. When Eddie tried to jump ship and join Kiss Gene told him to go back and take control of his band so I would assume it was Essie writing the material. I did like VH better with Roth and I liked Sammy better when he was in his own. But, I always have to like Sammy. He still brings it even at 70. I saw him last year.

#30 3 years ago

Sorta seems like a good Van Halen-theme game would be huge emphasis on Eddie and his guitar the most, with such a split over Dave and Sammy. Personally, I like both eras but they're different bands both lyrically, melodically, and tone. Eddie's guitar work and overall melodies were better in the Dave era, but I also like the Sammy tunes.

Not sure how to pull it off, but if the game could just emphasize the tunes and not the singer as much, maybe that would work. Dunno, maybe not. Oh... and the game needs to have good flow, good features, ya know... like any good game.

#31 3 years ago

Easily Van Halen.
    They recorded six gold/platinum albums with the original lineup.
    Dave left and Sammy Hagar did a great job with even more sales.

I love GNR and they appeared to be on track to give Van Halen a scare but they never reached that level in my opinion.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Listen to 1984. It’s clearly obvious that’s the direction the band was heading moving forward. Eddie had bought some synths - and jeez was he gonna use them!

You mean like this? : )

#33 3 years ago

In my opinion, GNR had one good (make that AWESOME) album, the rest didn't do much for me. VH on the other hand, many great albums. We need a VH game!

#34 3 years ago

If JJP did a VH pin and it was as good as GNR seems to be GNR would be out the door. Stern, I would have to pass. Now, if the ink starts chipping off my GNR after a few games I’m just fucking done with them all.

#35 3 years ago

I wouldnt even play a VH pin on freeplay.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from rlbohon3:

In my opinion, GNR had one good (make that AWESOME) album, the rest didn't do much for me. VH on the other hand, many great albums. We need a VH game!

Truth. I like GNR, but VH is a different tempo even. There's no November Rain.

Make a VH (DLR) pin, and it has to be fast as hell. If you want the poppy Sammy-Era stuff on it, download Pinball Browser.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

... but to blame Hagar for the 5150 years is barking up the wrong tree.

Well I don't think it's a personal attack on Sammy, the music just sucked. I've always assumed everything horrible that VH ever did was Eddie's fault.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well I don't think it's a personal attack on Sammy, the music just sucked. I've always assumed everything horrible that VH ever did was Eddie's fault.

Diamond Dave didn’t do much to smooth things over either. Even Sammy couldn’t stand him.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Diamond Dave didn’t do much to smooth things over either. Even Sammy couldn’t stand him.

Read Van Halen Rising by Greg Renoff. It's fascinating.

9781770412637_p0_v3_s550x406 (resized).jpg9781770412637_p0_v3_s550x406 (resized).jpg
    #40 3 years ago
    C9EF8109-6072-42B1-A8B7-EDC869029EF3 (resized).jpegC9EF8109-6072-42B1-A8B7-EDC869029EF3 (resized).jpeg
    #41 3 years ago

I'm a fringe fan of both bands, so for me it comes down to the artistic style associated with each. In my opinion that makes Guns N' Roses the clear winner. That said, the sideart on the SE makes me sad.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

The Sammy VH was more refined.

Quoted from gonzo73:

Van halen had 4 strait no 1 albums with Hagar, not one with DLR.

I stopped listening to Van halen around the 1984 album. They started to cater to the commercial market then. Just like Metallica changed after and Justice for all.

Respect for Slayer for never changing and maintaining their sound for their original fans.

#43 3 years ago

No
    I know almost every gnr song
    I know only 1 van halen song

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

I stopped listening to Van halen around the 1984 album. They started to cater to the commercial market then. Just like Metallica changed after and Justice for all.
    Respect for Slayer for never changing and maintaining their sound for their original fans.

Well they slayer did do that shitty trend hopping nu Metal album.

There’s a shame in every career!

#45 3 years ago

VH, GNR, WC (Who Cares). Yes, the theme sells some games, but more seem to sell or not sell because of what the game is. As the best example possible, I present myself. I own AC/DC, Aerosmith, and Metallica. I don't consider those bands offensive, but I'm not a huge fan. I wouldn't have bought a single one of them because of the theme. However they are awesome pinball machines.

I think theme can start you at a point, but the game itself is what gets it into my gameroom.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Because Diamond Dave is a fucking jackass. God I remember how happy I was when they got back together and they did that awards show...took me 1 minute to realize it wasn't 82 anymore; Uff.

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Because Diamond Dave is a fucking jackass. God I remember how happy I was when they got back together and they did that awards show...took me 1 minute to realize it wasn't 82 anymore; Uff.

He is but Van Halen wouldn't have existed w/o him. He even named them.

Roth is a space cadet. He's a frontman, but ALL the time. Still if you look at it, Ed had issues w/everyone but Alex. It's a shame really. Everyone was alienated.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

How the brothers didn't strangle him on stage is a total mystery!

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How the brothers didn't strangle him on stage is a total mystery!

It'd be offended by Dave's jeans too.

#50 3 years ago

Both meh.

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hypothetical-question-van-halen-instead-of-gnr?hl=elvishasleft and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.