(Topic ID: 70764)

Hyperpin/Virtual Pins

By Pauz21

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

vp.jpg
    IMAG1432.jpg
    IMAG1431.jpg
    Big Bang Pin.JPG
    left cabinet.JPG
    IMG_3469.JPG
    IMG_3468.JPG
    062A777F-D8FE-4C88-BDE2-3D2ACB644DF4.JPG
    PW_TL_V2.jpg
    PW_Side_V3.jpg
    PW_Front_V2.jpg
    1157430_517817274959369_606978316_n.jpg
    IMAG0859.jpg
    IMAG0565.jpg
    IMAG0479.jpg
    IMAG0300.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider detroit_pinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#67 10 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

(And I've actually made 5 or 6 tables for VP over the years, just so you know... )

Dont take this as an attack, but actually this means very little. JP Salas is probably one of the greatest table authors on VP and has years of experience with VP and he has limited skills in setting up the table physics for his games.

That is a skill in itself, and probably the single biggest weakest link when it comes to Visual Pinball. Its not that you cant do it, not a lot of authors spend time on this stuff, yet alone the people that are downloading and playing their tables.
    If you know what your doing you can tweak a game to play very similar to its counterpart. You can also tweak a game to create more of a keystone effect-- added depth/realism , very easily as well, but few people do it or know how to do it.

I started off doing kind of what you are doing now, using a single screen, then evolved and built a bad ass Vpin:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-virtua-pin-tm-big-bang-pin-virtual-pinball

I have helped contribute physics settings to two of the top three virtual pinball authors-- Groni-- Banzai Run; Uncle Willy, BBB.
    You can go on VP forums and google "layback or keystone effect", I wrote the first article on the discovery on how to tweak the settings when VP 9.XX came out.
    There is a lot you can do in Visual Pinball, you just have to know how to use it.

I do also understand about the burnout over time, mine was kind of different, but I understand were your coming from.
    biggest down fall to VP pinball, is knowledge and getting everyone on the same page.
    Scott
    Detroit Pinball

left cabinet.JPGleft cabinet.JPG Big Bang Pin.JPGBig Bang Pin.JPG

#69 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Unfortunately, the VP physics engine (which as a VP developer I've looked into) is just too broken to get any sort if realistic flipper physics. The flippers either shoot way off to the sides, or if you correct this with oblique, there become a bunch of blind spots that cannot be corrected. There's nothing that can be done to patch this in the current engine

Again, we are going to have to agree to disagree. There are more settings than just oblique to get more accurate flipper settings. Instead of looking into the code, you have to take the settings you have to work with and experiment and spend the time making adjustments; the good thing, most of the settings will work on other tables. Flippers are also preference, I like mine set up a certain way, and Groni and Noah Fentz both liked theirs set up differently.

There have been a bunch of VP developers that have came and gone, even the great VP developers (Cupid) still didnt know exactly how to maximize most of the adjustments in the software tool.

Again, I will say this respectfully, but again we will have to agree to disagree, and I am a competitive pinball player inaccurate flipper settings will not fly with me. I will say this is Not one of the limitations of VP pinball.
    I can also do all kinds of flipper passing, post passing etc... just like the real machine, if the flippers and flipper rubber (elasticity, etc) is set up correctly.

Scott
    Detroit Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider detroit_pinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hyperpinvirtual-pins?tu=detroit_pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.