100_8515 (resized).JPG
100_8516 (resized).JPG
100_8513 (resized).JPG
100_8191 (resized).JPG
100_7643 (resized).JPG
hyperball-shooter-sml-measured (resized).jpg
100_8192 (resized).JPG
100_8416 (resized).JPG
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 1 year ago

What version code does this have? The earlier version(s) had a bug where high scores didn't save or got corrupted.

#52 1 year ago

Thank you very much Pin Monk, that is the information I desperately need. I will compare mine to yours and see what can be done!

#53 1 year ago

My game roms look like R2:
100_7643 (resized).JPG100_7643 (resized).JPG
since everything is working electronically, I did not plan to change them. Perhaps after a successful solution to the Hypercannon issue.

#54 1 year ago

I sent an Email to Planetary Pinball in regard to remaking the A-9139 hyper cannon armature. Here is their reply:

"We don't have any plans to reproduce that part at this time. There is no issue with you having one made locally."

I just returned from one of our local machine shops. The nice people inspected my mangled armature and indicated that they can make a new piece for around $125. I told them to make one for me and I will test it in my Hyperball. My old armature is missing almost 1/2" of material from the ball end. Further updates to come.....
100_8191 (resized).JPG100_8191 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#55 1 year ago

New machined armature arrived today, much different than my mangled one:
100_8513 (resized).JPG100_8513 (resized).JPG
over 1/2" longer:
100_8515 (resized).JPG100_8515 (resized).JPG
Installed fine and game plays ok. Can't tell much difference in ball shooting between the old and new part.
Oh well, I've done all I can do with Hyperball. On to the next 2 projects!

It is for sale for $1200 here in Kalispell:
100_8516 (resized).JPG100_8516 (resized).JPG

thanks to everyone who gave me help!
pinballlarry

#56 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballlarry1:

New machined armature arrived today, much different than my mangled one:
[quoted image]
over 1/2" longer:
[quoted image]
Installed fine and game plays ok. Can't tell much difference in ball shooting between the old and new part.
Oh well, I've done all I can do with Hyperball. On to the next 2 projects!
It is for sale for $1200 here in Kalispell:
[quoted image]
thanks to everyone who gave me help!
pinballlarry

Wow, that new armature looks sexy. How much did your machine shop charge you for it?

Are you still getting dud ball launches every few balls with low power that just sort of dribble onto the playfield or did that fix it?

#57 1 year ago

Cost $125 to make a new one using the old sample and dimensions sent by other kind owners.
100_8514 (resized).JPG100_8514 (resized).JPG
The game still shoots out some soft shots and some hard shots, perhaps 2 good to one bad. I have tried everything I can think of right now. The shooter coil capacitor tested at 1400mfd with my new cap tester. Armature moves easily in the new coil sleeve. I am ready to move on to other projects........

#58 1 year ago

Cost $125 to make a new one using the old sample and dimensions sent by other kind owners.
[quoted image]
The game still shoots out some soft shots and some hard shots, perhaps 2 good to one bad. I have tried everything I can think of right now. The shooter coil capacitor tested at 1400mfd with my new cap tester. Armature moves easily in the new coil sleeve. I am ready to move on to other projects........

That's actually not a bad price. Did you save the measurements of the final one so it's around if someone else wants to have one made?

The frequent dud balls probably has something to do with the housing the ball rests in before being fired getting worn to a larger opening over time, so the ball can misfire and rattle out of the housing instead of a straight shot.

While you still have the machine, you could slo-mo record it with an iphone while you shoot continuously (zoomed in about halfway on the housing for max resolution but still enough visibility to see the duds). I bet that gives some clues as to what is causing the duds.

#59 1 year ago

good idea about slo-mo recording, I will see if wife will use her Iphone.
See post #49 above for the dimensions provided by PinMonk. I printed his picture and took my old armature and new coil sleeve to the machine shop and explained the situation. My used armature was 10.9mm in the sleeve area, and only 24mm long so I was missing over 12mm of length. The new armature fits excellent and I believe the only other improvement would be to hollow out the main body to reduce weight. That would necessitate making it 2 pieces with further engineering and machine work. Thanks to everyone who read my long posts.

#60 1 year ago

good idea about slo-mo recording, I will see if wife will use her Iphone.

Iphone alone probably can't get it slow enough, but if you record it in slo-mo, full res so the frame rate is high, I can slow that mp4 down about another 80% so it's very clear what's happening before and after the ball ejects. You might also want to put an LED flashlight under the apron pointing at the ball staging area to backlight it for the camera.

#61 1 year ago

thanks to everyone for help with Hyperball, it has been sold! Had a nice visit and discussion with a local enthusiast and he took it home. Onward to Cross Town.

#62 1 year ago

thanks to everyone for help with Hyperball, it has been sold! Had a nice visit and discussion with a local enthusiast and he took it home. Onward to Cross Town.

Didn't get a chance to slow-mo film the launch with an iphone to narrow down what was causing the frequent dud balls?

#63 1 year ago

negative, too much personal stuff going on........

2 months later
#64 1 year ago

Great post with lots of good info. I’m working on my Hyperball and was wondering if anyone had the measurements for the ridge near the bottom of the plunger shaft. We are in the process of completely remaking the shaft and ours is completely worn away.

199ED696-C167-4443-8D8C-2099C6E26130 (resized).jpeg199ED696-C167-4443-8D8C-2099C6E26130 (resized).jpegC6CD7FCB-4B60-40FE-AEB4-6C734E4C4E3E (resized).jpegC6CD7FCB-4B60-40FE-AEB4-6C734E4C4E3E (resized).jpeg
#65 1 year ago
Quoted from Silverballmania:

Great post with lots of good info. I’m working on my Hyperball and was wondering if anyone had the measurements for the ridge near the bottom of the plunger shaft. We are in the process of completely remaking the shaft and ours is completely worn away.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That's probably what happens when you don't install the nylon washer to protect the metal, or maybe it's a homemade replacement from before you got it that wasn't really strict with the details?

#66 1 year ago

Yeah I would say someone didn’t put the nylon tip in it or it was long gone before I got it.

2B1CCD5E-9E08-45F7-BB8B-0E1D5A64ED04 (resized).jpeg2B1CCD5E-9E08-45F7-BB8B-0E1D5A64ED04 (resized).jpeg7B003999-6A1D-4429-9352-022DC9ED68B0 (resized).jpeg7B003999-6A1D-4429-9352-022DC9ED68B0 (resized).jpeg
#67 1 year ago
Quoted from Silverballmania:

Yeah I would say someone didn’t put the nylon tip in it or it was long gone before I got it.
[quoted image][quoted image]

No, I'm talking about the black nylon washer that goes at the other end. I don't think the nylon tip people put on the end that impacts the ball were stock.

hyperball-shooter-nylon-ring-sml (resized).jpghyperball-shooter-nylon-ring-sml (resized).jpg

NOS shooter pic (OOS) from Marco Specialties shows the nylon washer was included:

hyperball-stock-shooter (resized).jpghyperball-stock-shooter (resized).jpg
#68 1 year ago

Yes that nylon washer was missing as well. I’ll be sure to add a nylon washer in on reassembly. I’m mostly in search of the measurements for the ridge that is part of the plunger that is circled in the picture below. Appreciate all the other information.

AE7EE200-81F9-4A04-A257-1003F8247774 (resized).jpegAE7EE200-81F9-4A04-A257-1003F8247774 (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#69 1 year ago

I have that at Dia .625" and .060" thick. Also note that this plunger is made from two different materials. The part inside the coil is ferrous to react to the coil and the forward part is not. This may be to avoid magnetizing the balls - not sure. The two shafts are brazed together to make the assembly. The original part number also does not include a plastic tip although it seems like a good idea to try this so you have something you can replace before the metal tip gets destroyed.

#70 1 year ago
Quoted from blubboman:

I have that at Dia .625" and .060" thick. Also note that this plunger is made from two different materials. The part inside the coil is ferrous to react to the coil and the forward part is not. This may be to avoid magnetizing the balls - not sure. The two shafts are brazed together to make the assembly. The original part number also does not include a plastic tip although it seems like a good idea to try this so you have something you can replace before the metal tip gets destroyed.

I don't think a plastic tip is original. All the NOS ones I've seen don't have that. I think it's something someone modded along the way. The black nylon ring that goes near the base of it is NOS, though.

#71 1 year ago

There's more info about the shooter and how to fit a tip here : https://www.edcheung.com/album/album07/Pinball/hyperball.htm

2 weeks later
#72 1 year ago

Awesome! That was the info I was looking for. Most appreciated.

1 month later
#74 1 year ago

oh wow, a bit late to the party here but I just aquired a Hyperball, it is working but would benefit from a refurb.
A quick google didn't show any coils available anywhere except an alternative from another manufacturer, anyone tried that?
I also have an opto that is out, what is the best alternative??
Fantastic collection of photos here, wish I'd found this before i reassembled the shooter cannon after cleaning it.

#75 1 year ago
Quoted from markflickr:

oh wow, a bit late to the party here but I just aquired a Hyperball, it is working but would benefit from a refurb.
A quick google didn't show any coils available anywhere except an alternative from another manufacturer, anyone tried that?
I also have an opto that is out, what is the best alternative??
Fantastic collection of photos here, wish I'd found this before i reassembled the shooter cannon after cleaning it.

Did you check the last post before you posted ?
Yes, the Gottlieb coil I mentioned there is the right size and works well.

#76 1 year ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Did you check the last post before you posted ?
Yes, the Gottlieb coil I mentioned there is the right size and works well.

you got me, i only saw page 1. Thank you I'll be getting one of those a spare

11 months later
#77 4 months ago

I just picked up a Hyperball. There is a lot of play in the handles when rotating. I'm guessing it's a wear issue on unobtainium parts but wanted to ask anyway.

#78 4 months ago
Quoted from BasementFacts:

I just picked up a Hyperball. There is a lot of play in the handles when rotating. I'm guessing it's a wear issue on unobtainium parts but wanted to ask anyway.

It's been a while since I last had one, but I believe that is shim-able so you can tighten up the fit of the handles so they more tightly control the motion of the shooter.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Tools
Pincoder Store

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hyperball-yes-i-know-shooter-handle-roll-pin-size/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.