Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by smassa
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

What makes a pinball a pinball? Flippers? If that is the case, why don't we call it "Flipperball" Pinball didn't originally have flippers, those were added in the 40's.

I am really just curious here. what makes it a pinball? Is Baby Pacman a pinball? it has flippers, yes, but over half the game is video.

Is hyperball pinball? Is has pins, balls, scoring holes and score displays. the object is to hit targets with balls.

It really makes little difference to me. But I wonder what others criteria are. According to my super scientific internet surfing consensus. It seems to be "flippers make it pinball"

#2 12 years ago

No flippers, so i guess to me, its not a traditional pinball game. I'm not a fan of Hyperball and found it to be quite boring and repetitive.

#3 12 years ago

I have heard of Hyperball in my cyber travels. What is it exactly though? I am thinking the LCD screen 2-dimensional game replication? s the price delta comparable? Is it the same as some "2000" digital theme I read about also? Can't remember the full name and no disrespect intended when I say that I am not always up -and- up on the newest tech out there

PBD

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from Pinballdad:

I have heard of Hyperball in my cyber travels. What is it exactly though? I am thinking the LCD screen 2-dimensional game replication? s the price delta comparable? Is it the same as some "2000" digital theme I read about also? Can't remember the full name and no disrespect intended when I say that I am not always up -and- up on the newest tech out there
PBD

This game

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-balls-are-hyper-x2

#6 12 years ago

pins and balls

#7 12 years ago

Personally I would not consider Hyperball as a pinball.

You can make an argument and say pitch and bats are pinballs if you want. (Personally I don't consider them a pinball either)

Pachinko have more right to be called a pinball machine as they actually have pins and balls. Pinball machines haven't really had "pins" in them for close to 75 years- so you really have to generalize what is considered a pinball to have a real definition.

Just me, but I would consider flippers a must.

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Personally I would not consider Hyperball as a pinball.
You can make an argument and say pitch and bats are pinballs if you want. (Personally I don't consider them a pinball either)
Pachinko have more right to be called a pinball machine as they actually have pins and balls. Pinball machines haven't really had "pins" in them for close to 75 years- so you really have to generalize what is considered a pinball to have a real definition.
Just me, but I would consider flippers a must.

That seems to be the general consensus. I must say I don't fully agree. I would call slugfest a pinball, if people asked me " do you have a pinball machine". And I only had slugfest. I would say, "yeah, I do. It's pitch and bat machine"

#9 12 years ago

And hyper pin is definitely not a pinball. A hyper pin is just that, a hyper pin cabinet, emulating pinball. I have a mini one and it sure does a great job scratching the itch for higher end machines that I can't afford.

#10 12 years ago

Plenty of Hybrids out there.
If they are at least in some way pinball as well as video game or whatever gimmick they might have. I still consider them pinball. Like Anim8ormatt said I would disclaim the comment with its a pitch and bat or its a half video half pin hybrid. In this case it's just simply Hyperball enough said. I would do the same for avery nice virtual, visual or hyperpin as well as long as it was emulating a real cabinet. Just my opinion.

Bottom line if you really love to play the game it does not matter at all what it is called or categorized as.

Have fun first and foremost

#11 12 years ago

I just watched that video...and i still have no idea what the objective is here. Do you chase the light by shooting the balls at it?

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from mojozone:

I just watched that video...and i still have no idea what the objective is here. Do you chase the light by shooting the balls at it?

the machine tells you what to do

on the playfield you see a word and you have to spell it (letters are the targets from left to right), also at the same time you have to be carefull at those thing coming down on you, kind of like space invaders!
thats about it.

had my friends game in my basement... not for long.

#13 12 years ago

Hey, I played the Zizzle version of this game as a kid!

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from Blakesell:

Hey, I played the Zizzle version of this game as a kid!

Ha ha ha! Nice! I wanted crossfire so bad as a kid. But no one would play it with me!

#15 12 years ago

I don't care if Hyperball is a pin or not, it won't be in my collection anytime soon.

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

I don't care if Hyperball is a pin or not, it won't be in my collection anytime soon.

it's definitely not for everyone.

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from mojozone:

Think missle command in a pin cabinet. Fun in a larger collection. Isnt worth it if you only have space for a couple games.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hyperball-not-a-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.