Screenshot_20211201-074420_Adobe Acrobat (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211130-212358_Adobe Acrobat (resized).jpg
disconnected wire (resized).jpg
cutwire (resized).jpg
gun coil 4 (resized).jpg
gun coil 2 (resized).jpg
gun coil 3 (resized).jpg
gun coil (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider catvilledoorman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 2 years ago

Hello, Scott... the white wire/red tracer might be intended to be under the ground wingnut..your pic shows another w/r wire there, but is it by chance cut? mine has that color wire grounded.

Also, the coil is fed by a modified flipper power board. The dc to the coil should be pulsed, otherwise the coil (11 ohms) would draw enough current to burn up, or blow it's fuse. If your fan runs and blows air that's not likely your problem, I would look at that power control board. It has a fuse feeding the coil, if someone has bypassed the fuse, or put the wrong size in, your coil would possibly fry. If the transistor circuit that pulses the dc to the coil has failed, or the PIA (driver board) is on constantly, your coil could fry.

Mine kept blowing fuses. The problem was a coil winding in the hypercannon that was shorted to ground through the trigger lock bar (manufacturing defect). Luckily I fround it before disaster.
I can send you schematic shots of the board, or you can find them on IPDB.

As to the loose yellow wire, tomorrow I can take a peek at mine, but it appears to have pulled loose from the relay (white block nearest the wire). Don't hook anything back up until we see a schematic or pics from my machine, tho.

Rod Davis

#11 2 years ago

C 8938 Power Switching board is the schematic designation of the circuit feeding your coil. If I can remember how to make a screen shot, I'll send it along. The Fuse, F2 is a 4A SB.

#12 2 years ago

Here is where the coil gets powered.

Screenshot_20211130-212358_Adobe Acrobat (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211130-212358_Adobe Acrobat (resized).jpg
#13 2 years ago

The switching signal is from the PIA, and is on I5J2 3 & 4, aqnd should be 0/ 1.4 VDC, this pulse turns on the transistors, which apply the ground for your coil, and that line should pulse from 120 vdc (sorry, I said AC earlier) to 0V. When properly pulsing you should see around 118 VDC. Pulsing limits the time the high current flows through your coil, thereby limiting the heat. If a switch is stuck on, or a short circuit exists, it will fry.

Hope this helps.
Rod

#14 2 years ago

BTW, I'm not sure what you were asking, but the subfloor lifts out, tilt it sideways while lifting the front end, pulling it gently toward the front (coinbox) of the cabinet. ...the wiring loom has connectors in the backbox that can be disconnected, so your PF can be removed entirely.

#16 2 years ago

Whoa!! $300 for a coil!!

The price of near-unobtainium??

#17 2 years ago

Here is the block diagram.

Screenshot_20211201-074420_Adobe Acrobat (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211201-074420_Adobe Acrobat (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider catvilledoorman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hyperball-gun-coil-replacement?tu=catvilledoorman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.