0222161759a_(resized).jpg
0222161759c_(resized).jpg
0222161800b_(resized).jpg
Lamp_Matrix_Short_2_(resized).jpg
GI_Short_2_(resized).jpg
GI_Short_4_(resized).jpg
Lamp_Matrix_Short_1_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

I got a hyperball last weekend and have been repairing it this week. I had a weird lamp matrix problem where the ground wire coming from the bridge rectifier to the power supply had its insulation melt off it got so hot. There was also a weird problem in the lamp matrix where it was strobing all the lights. After confirming that the bridge and the cap for the lamp matrix was good, I decided to take a look at the transformer. Somehow two balls had made it through to the transformer and were shorting some lugs. I have seen a lot of things that go wrong, never expected to see that!!

Lamp_Matrix_Short_1_(resized).jpgLamp_Matrix_Short_1_(resized).jpg

GI_Short_4_(resized).jpgGI_Short_4_(resized).jpg

GI_Short_2_(resized).jpgGI_Short_2_(resized).jpg

Lamp_Matrix_Short_2_(resized).jpgLamp_Matrix_Short_2_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

Oh crap, never seen that before. That's why it's important to keep the inside of the cab clean too not just the playfield.

#3 8 years ago

I think Hyperball originally came with a screen/guard that caught any balls that fell through the play field. That's a common occurrence for them to end up in the cabinet .

#4 8 years ago

I was replacing my screen and touched on of the transformers. Game no longer boots. So be careful with the screen

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

I think Hyperball originally came with a screen/guard that caught any balls that fell through the play field. That's a common occurrence for them to end up in the cabinet .

I had to remove the screen/guard to get to the transformer, I am going to have to seal off that area better.

#6 8 years ago

I'm in the midst of shopping a hyperball and I can see you're good with the camera. If I could ask you a favor to take pictures on how the capacitors and bridges are wired? I installed a Inkochnito board an realized that HB have one more cap than a standard System 7. Specifically, where does the BLU-GRY solder to? It looks like it goes to the + on the small cap but looking at the schematics there's suppose to be bridge in that circuit too, I can't figure it out.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from dri:

I'm in the midst of shopping a hyperball and I can see you're good with the camera. If I could ask you a favor to take pictures on how the capacitors and bridges are wired? I installed a Inkochnito board an realized that HB have one more cap than a standard System 7. Specifically, where does the BLU-GRY solder to? It looks like it goes to the + on the small cap but looking at the schematics there's suppose to be bridge in that circuit too, I can't figure it out.

I will post some pictures this evening. I am glad that I was able to figure this one out, it is such a fun game to play.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Brypten:

I will post some pictures this evening. I am glad that I was able to figure this one out, it is such a fun game to play.

Thanks, no rush! I can't wait to get mine running though, I just finished shopping most of the cabinet.

#9 8 years ago

Holy schnikes! Nice find.

#10 8 years ago

Correct, there is another cap mounted in the lower right of the backbox. Its for the shooter coil and should have a power resistor across it. The negative side has a black wire going to the negative (-) side of the bridge. Positive side has two wires that go to the ball shooter coil lugs on the playfield with a molex connector breaking them (I am holding in picture).

0222161800b_(resized).jpg0222161800b_(resized).jpg

0222161759c_(resized).jpg0222161759c_(resized).jpg

0222161759a_(resized).jpg0222161759a_(resized).jpg

0222161800a_(resized).jpg0222161800a_(resized).jpg

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Brypten:

Correct, there is another cap mounted in the lower right of the backbox. Its for the shooter coil and should have a power resistor across it. The negative side has a black wire going to the negative (-) side of the bridge. Positive side has two wires that go to the ball shooter coil lugs on the playfield with a molex connector breaking them (I am holding in picture).

I can't thank you enough, this is exactly what I was looking for!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hyperball-almost-fried-itself and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.