(Topic ID: 269503)

HVLP cabinet painting Q's - discussion

By northerndude

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    09F0BA0D-DE13-4336-BB2B-5B1070B49701 (resized).jpeg
    A8409F66-1E46-43AD-95F1-85F5E0AE7F60 (resized).jpeg
    C008C66A-AC2C-4DD1-9121-EEFA9438768B (resized).jpeg
    venus side2 (resized).jpg
    8B77CA56-094E-4B6E-8186-C2D93A7938E6 (resized).jpeg
    c7be9c0c8a172dd9c170e7edce6305685c7e1e1a.jpeg (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Oldgoat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

I did not thin it.
    The can said 75 ml clean water vs the full can to thin,
    edit: When you guys thin the paint/primer. What do you do? Mix in thinner into reservoir? mix in third party container and then pour into reservoir? shake it?

I just finished painting the cab on a Venus shuffle targette game. Now, I have a dedicated HVLP (Sprayfine 4-stage), so it may be different. However, to spray latex, you mix 4 parts paint with 2 parts water-based poly (like minwax polycrylic) and 1 part floetrol. measure and mix (with a paint stick) in those cheap plastic paint cups with the markings, stir and pour it into the gun through a paint filter. Lays down very nicely.

#16 3 years ago

The poly makes it spray better and will increase open time...the floetrol does the same. I would think floetrol is available since it is commonly used by painters in their high-pressure setups. It's not a specialty product. Every big box and paint store carries it. Here is a video explaining the process.

#19 3 years ago

I'm not sure I would use an acrylic enamel... Can you find/order General Finishes or Varthane products if not Minwax water based poly? Water-based poly has been around for a long time especially due to the fact it is more environmentally friendly, than oil-based.

Here is a really bad pic of the Venus I am working on.

venus side2 (resized).jpgvenus side2 (resized).jpg
    #21 3 years ago

I have been assuming that you are using a water-based latex paint as the color. If not, forget everything I said . If, in fact, you are spraying latex, you will need to stick with water-based poly. You know what they say about oil and water mixing!

#24 3 years ago

I'm not at all familiar with that paint. Seems to be water-based so you should be good. Glad you found the poly...I was really puzzled over that the lack of any water-based poly. I would use the same sheen as the paint. After you mix it up, run the gun on a piece of cardboard and adjust to get the pattern and volume you want. Hopefully, this will turn out better than the primer. Good luck!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Oldgoat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hvlp-cabinet-painting-q-q-s?tu=Oldgoat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.