(Topic ID: 314244)

HVAC - Biogunk in the Condsate Drain Pan Solved!

By mcluvin

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

vent (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Electrocute.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 1 year ago

Trap once, that’s the rule when installing the drain line, usually outside right before the water drains out the pipe. No trap, and you get the vacuum, lack of airflow causes the same thing. Use a shop vac to “suck” out the drain outside when maintaining. Never add anything corrosive to your drain line, such as bleach, when flushing the line. That’s it!

I’d recommend HVAC-talk.com if you wish to explore.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

My dad has put bleach down the pvc condensate line for 42 years with no problem. I’ve never had a problem either. Our AC maintenance company at work does it too. Works better than anything else as a preventative. Keeps bacterial slime from forming blockages. A quarter cup of bleach is not going to harm a thing.
Don’t use bleach to clear a clog though, it doesn’t work well.

It’s the aluminum evaporator coil, not the drain line, you’ve got to worry about.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

How would it get up to the coil? .

Vacuum pressure from air handler. Suction! It’s also the reason why you trap the condensate line once.
#1 reason a system gets replaced is a refrigerant leak. Why do something to enhance the chance?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Electrocute.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hvac-biogunk-in-the-condsate-drain-pan-solved?tu=Electrocute and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.