(Topic ID: 197407)

(Hurricane) Use Generator for Pinball or Refrigerator ?

By ASOA

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by DCFAN
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What should I use my generator for? I can run 4 you pick”

• MMRLE 13 votes
      57%
    • DILE 15 votes
      65%
    • AFMRLE 17 votes
      74%
    • SMVE 2 votes
      9%
    • GB Premium 7 votes
      30%
    • SWLE 8 votes
      35%
    • HOBBIT LE 3 votes
      13%
    • WOZ RR 7 votes
      30%
    • TWD Premium 12 votes
      52%

(Multiple choice - 23 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 3 years ago

Alright Here is the scenario Hurricane season is here and Hurricane is on track to be here Friday night. This is a survival scenario. I want to have everything ready for when the storm hits. All wires should be run now before the storm hits. Do I run the extension cord to the Pinball machines or the Refrigerator? I'm pretty sure I can live off can foods and pinball. What are your thoughts?

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Alright Here is the scenario Hurricane season is here and Hurricane is on track to be here Friday night. This is a survival scenario. I want to have everything ready for when the storm hits. All wires should be run now before the storm hits. Do I run the extension cord to the Pinball machines or the Refrigerator? I'm pretty sure I can live off can foods and pinball. What are your thoughts?

Make sure to get some ice for the beer

#3 3 years ago

Get the house wired to plug in the generator, then you can run the whole shebang!

#4 3 years ago

run fridge off it most of the time. but it depends on your generator's wattage rating. a fridge should be like 1200-1500 watts surge on start up, then runs at a little more than half of that. if you have a 5000 watt generator, you could keep fridge going with a couple pins on. only thing is, if the voltage drops just a little, your pin might get pissed off and reboot.... got to keep that 5v happy. the longer you run extension cords, the more unhappy you make things. and make sure the extension cords are not cheap thin ones. good luck

#5 3 years ago

I'd be running a water pump.

#6 3 years ago

Why not start yet another thread and ask everyone?

rd

#7 3 years ago

Perhaps lets just make a dumb comment and attempt to disrupt a perfectly harmeless post.
    Yea let's do that. Let's go to every thread someone writes and say the exact same thing. Perhaps find something better to do. Just an Idea?

#8 3 years ago

Well actually neither because you will be swimming or boating with that big of storm they are predicting to hit our state

#9 3 years ago

When we got flooded. I used the generator for

Fridge
    Freezer
    Lamp
    Modem
    Router
    Laptop
    phone charger.

#10 3 years ago

First rule in a hurricane is 'Stay Safe.'

As far as using a generator goes, I suggest you set up a system like this:

#11 3 years ago

I backfeed my electric panel and then I have no need for extension cords except for the backfeed one

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

So there are people affected by the hurricane who lose their houses and you are asking if you should not plug your fridge in and play pinball instead?

I don't understand the point of this thread

#13 3 years ago

Since Harvey has just caused mass devastation and loss of life, the timing of your post may come off as a bit insensitive to some. That said, I would not use any of my pins on generator power. I have a whole house generator (smart generator)and it has major fluctuations in the power(surges) when it first wakes up or the a/c goes on or it diverts power from one place to another. It was enough to blow out my computer last time it was in use, even with a surge protector. I'm not an expert on the generators, but I know now to keep electronics off and the a/c unit as well now. This may not be the case with a standard generator, perhaps they are more consistent with power?

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from sparechange1974:

Since Harvey has just caused mass devastation and loss of life, the timing of your post may come off as a bit insensitive to some. That said, I would not use any of my pins on generator power. I have a whole house generator (smart generator)and it has major fluctuations in the power(surges) when it first wakes up or the a/c goes on or it diverts power from one place to another. It was enough to blow out my computer last time it was in use, even with a surge protector. I'm not an expert on the generators, but I know now to keep electronics off and the a/c unit as well now. This may not be the case with a standard generator, perhaps they are more consistent with power?

I feel the same way. We were without power for 10 days during "Sandy" and I wouldn't even run our t.v. Off the generator. We watched a little portable screen instead. Is it worth the chance of screwing up a pin? Not to me.

#15 3 years ago

Suck the fun out of Pinside.... I was being facetious people. Im well aware of the real situations that Texas has faced. I for one have donated money and supplies to help those people in need. Im a very charitable person which we all should be so if you were so offended by my harmless post I hope you did your part as well.

#16 3 years ago

No harm in your post IMO. Stay safe.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

So there are people affected by the hurricane who lose their houses and you are asking if you should not plug your fridge in and play pinball instead?
    I don't understand the point of this thread

Seriously. It's like a race to see who can find offense in a post first. It is a light hearted thread in the face adversity. Each person handles stress differently. The OP is clearly trying to find humor in his unfortunate situation. If his post is egregious to you, then the thought that people throw hurricane parties while riding out the storm surely would blow your mind. Lighten up Francis.

#18 3 years ago

This post is perfectly fine. I do wish OP the best of luck dealing with the storm.

If you're curious about the negative comments on a hurricane post, please refer to his million other polls which seem to pop up every three hours.

I for one can not WAIT to find out what the results are regarding what toppings he should put on his sundae

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

This post is perfectly fine. I do wish OP the best of luck dealing with the storm.
    If you're curious about the negative comments on a hurricane post, please refer to his million other polls which seem to pop up every three hours.
    I for one can not WAIT to find out what the results are regarding what toppings he should put on his sundae

lol. Building up profiles is tough .
    nuts on top.
    j/k Jon
    I am a drift fisherman, never liked Trolling although I am told it catches the biggest ones!

#20 3 years ago

Ahhh!
    Toppings on my Sundae

Have no clue about ratings or points. That is not the reason for my many posts. The true reason is "Addicted to Pinside"

My apologies if my addiction has caused you suffering.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Suck the fun out of Pinside.... I was being facetious people. Im well aware of the real situations that Texas has faced. I for one have donated money and supplies to help those people in need. Im a very charitable person which we all should be so if you were so offended by my harmless post I hope you did your part as well.

Quoted from Skins:

Seriously. It's like a race to see who can find offense in a post first. It is a light hearted thread in the face adversity. Each person handles stress differently. The OP is clearly trying to find humor in his unfortunate situation. If his post is egregious to you, then the thought that people throw hurricane parties while riding out the storm surely would blow your mind. Lighten up Francis.

Sorry maybe I was a little cranky in the morning but it just seems like really bad timing to ask if you should keep your food cold or play your 1000s of dollars worth of games, when tons of people just lost their homes in texas. Carry on with your fun

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Like Skins above, I also see your post was trying to make light out of a stressful situation.
    I do suggest you have plans to get out of town if the storm turns north towards you as a category 4 or 5. The wind from this one will be very deadly if it is not scaled down to category 3. I just had to make the decision to cancel my trip to Clearwater that was supposed to go out tonight. Now I just have to sit back nervously and wait to see if my property is damaged.

#23 3 years ago

I see no problem with your post, No suffering here.
    Just thought what most thought with the Posts and polls and amount therein.
    here is a brief rundown on Profile rankings and how to bolster your Points
    https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/ASOA/achievements

#24 3 years ago

Thank you for all of you thoughts and helpful suggestions. I wish for everyone to be safe during this storm. Take care of your families! Possessions can be replaced however people cannot. Be aware of your surroundings. Make all the necessary precautions. And above all be smart. Hunker down and play pinball till the power goes out!

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

No offense taken here. In one of the threads, i read that you were increasing a reward for a pin that was stolen and it was not even yours. Pretty cool move in my opinion.

#26 3 years ago

I try to help whenever I can. I'm a Pinball enthusiast as most of you are. Im here to contribute to this great industry and community. My intentions is never to offend anyone. I appreciate you taking the time to tell others what kind of person I am. There are a few people who do not like me I guess. That's ok. They will either come around or they won't. No big deal. Stay safe! Play Better!

Thank you
    Amusement Services of America
    Jonathan

#27 3 years ago

It's all good man, you're clearly super enthusiastic and that's great! But realistically if everybody made polls about every little question that popped into their head this forum would be a strange place haha. Also my advice is just play them all and take turns plugging them into the generator. Case closed!

#28 3 years ago

Pinball.

Keep ice in the freezer and put beer in it. Just make sure to keep door closed.

#29 3 years ago

United Airlines was kind enough to reschedule my tickets that were for tonight to another time at no cost. They sometimes deservedly get a bad rap but they came through for us this time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 19.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 395.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 36.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,699.99
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    $ 750.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ArcadeArts
    $ 6.50
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 4.00
    Playfield - Decals
    UpKick Pinball
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 599.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Stranger Things Topper Out of stock
    Great American Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 4,199.00
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 109.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 159.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Starcade Amusement
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop
    $ 68.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    SIlverball In Play
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Playfield - Other
    YouBentMyWookie
    $ 7.00
    $ 499.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside