Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mcluvin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

U-Haul-1200x656 (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

A timely subject for those of us in NC and surrounding areas. Thankfully mine aren't in a basement but I know of many that are. Since extreme flooding is likely to occur with Florence just curious if any of you go to heroic efforts or just batten down and hope for the best.

#2 5 years ago

I think I've posted this before the last time this topic came up, but I'd mummify the games in shrink wrap, and throw a blanket somewhere in between the layers to help absorb any leaks. I've seen photos of other people also throwing a tarp around them. It probably wouldn't hurt if you could elevate the games on 2x4's (or something else) as well.

#3 5 years ago

GET THEM TO THE HIGHEST POINT IN YOUR HOME AS POSSIBLE! HIGHEST!

#4 5 years ago

Possibly 22" of rain,I'd say flooding is very possible. I would bust my ass and move all important stuff to the second floor. Water can do ridiculous amounts of damage.
    Plan for the worst and hope for the best.
    Good luck getting past the hurricane.
    -Mike

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Water can do ridiculous amounts of damage.

Especially since it may not all be water. Sewage, chemicals, etc.

I hope everyone in the path of Florence gets away from the area and stays safe.

LTG : )

#6 5 years ago

Just remember that taking care of yourself takes priority over your machines. Insurance exists, don't risk your own health or safety. Definitely do all that you can to prepare, but be wise about it.

#7 5 years ago

Do they sell a 5 foot leg?
    Just a thought?

Quoted from ForceFlow:

I think I've posted this before the last time this topic came up, but I'd mummify the games in shrink wrap, and throw a blanket somewhere in between the layers to help absorb any leaks. I've seen photos of other people also throwing a tarp around them. It probably wouldn't hurt if you could elevate the games on 2x4's (or something else) as well.

Fold down Head, than wrap in shrink wrap?

#8 5 years ago

Aqua Dam. Good luck!

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Do they sell a 5 foot leg?

Heh.

No, but maybe bed risers are also an option. That will probably get the game up to 8" off the floor. But--bed riser sets aren't cheap. They were something like $20 per set the last time I checked, but that was years ago.

#10 5 years ago

Make sure you have current, decent quality photos of all your stuff to show their current condition in case you go the insurance claim route.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Aqua Dam. Good luck!

Jump to 1:30 to skip the annoying kid babbling

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

GET THEM TO THE HIGHEST POINT IN YOUR HOME AS POSSIBLE! HIGHEST!

It’s always good to be as high as possible...in any situation.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

It’s always good to be as high as possible...in any situation.

I know I live in Colorado

#14 5 years ago

Might be obvious but make sure they are unplugged also!

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Jump to 1:30 to skip the annoying kid babbling

Definitely! On second thought, I don't think this is going to do much good with hurricane rains. Water will just pool up inside the dam.

#16 5 years ago

I’m in Myrtle Beach. I live across the water way and have weathered a few storms. I only have 2 pins. I will lower the heads, wrap a tarp around both. And I have found a assortment of small bathroom trash cans, tall plastic tea pitchers and buckets to sit the legs down into. And then I will hope for the best.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from rawbars:

I’m in Myrtle Beach. I live across the water way and have weathered a few storms. I only have 2 pins. I will lower the heads, wrap a tarp around both. And I have found a assortment of small bathroom trash cans, tall plastic tea pitchers and buckets to sit the legs down into. And then I will hope for the best.

Hope it's not too bad for you! Looks like you are going to get a good whack from it.

#18 5 years ago

I'd imagine cinder blocks would work pretty well. They are cheap.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

any of you go to heroic efforts

Of course you know that the only truly heroic way to defend your games is to rip open your shirt, puff out your chest, look the damn hurricane straight in the eye and yell “ YA, GOTTA COME THOUGH ME FIRST YA BASTARD!”

Serously though, be safe, stay well.

#20 5 years ago

Damp rid bucket inside the pinball machine before its mummified might help.

Maybe have a trash waste pump, generator, fans and dehumidifers ready for when it passes.

#21 5 years ago

Put the games up as high as you can, and get the hell out. You can always replace machines and stuff, but not the people you love. Run, baby, run!!!!

#22 5 years ago

My happy ass would be getting a UHaul and getting them along with other valuables the heck out of dodge.U-Haul-1200x656 (resized).jpgU-Haul-1200x656 (resized).jpg

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Just remember that taking care of yourself takes priority over your machines. Insurance exists, don't risk your own health or safety. Definitely do all that you can to prepare, but be wise about it.

And be sure to list Ebay prices in the claims

#24 5 years ago

How well would getting a couple of plastic storage tubs, the larger kind that are like 16" - 18" tall, and sliding them under the legs work out?

#25 5 years ago

This thing is huge, Coastal County residents can scratch anything in a basement, and any vehicle on ground level. A 20 foot surge will inundate all except the highest of homes, that is if the wind doesn't claim them. I'm 200 miles inland and looking forward to 30 inches of rain pushed by 60+ mph wind. All the gas, water and Hotel rooms are gone.
    Still,if I had a rare machine like a Star Jet or something I would be doing something drastic,everything else can fend for itself.
    A friend has a basement full of collectables and machines next to a creek in a low-lying yard. Really when it comes down to it a basement is the worst place for expensive / rare pinball machines and electric toys.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Hope it's not too bad for you! Looks like you are going to get a good whack from it.

The European modeler for tracking could bring it your way, stay alert and safe. These things can do anything they like!

#27 5 years ago

Good luck to everyone in the affected area. NJ appears to have skirted this one, but I remember Sandy vividly and my thoughts go out to everyone down there. Be safe and be smart.

If anyone needs to store games or a place to ride out the storm for a few days, please let me know. Welcome to hang out with me.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

A friend has a basement full of collectables and machines next to a creek in a low-lying yard. Really when it comes down to it a basement is the worst place for expensive / rare pinball machines and electric toys.

It's likely that it will all be lost unless he removed everything. What a shame.

#29 5 years ago

You'd think giant ziplock bags would be available. I can't find any.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hurricane-prep-for-games?hl=alexmogil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.