1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by alexmogil
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

WPC-089MPULayout (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

This is a new post replacing the other one since I messed up everything in the other thread while explaining the problem (I mixed things up). This post will be a lot cleaner for you guys who are helping, thank's in advance!

So, basically, the ball goes into the juggler and it works intermitently. When testing the metal contact underneath, sometime it works, sometime not. I would say it works one time out of 15-20. When it works, it could work 5-6 times than stop again (when putting the metal together).

I don't know where to start in the troubleshooting. Could it be the diode? the board itself. I saw in the manual that the juggler is J207-5 / J209-8. I took a multimeter to check J207-5 together with J209-8 and I have continuity, I don't know if it's normal or not. I also tested the solenoid via the test menu and it works. When I throw a ball in the juggler, it doesn't register anything in the switch test.

Thank's again for your help!

#2 1 year ago

Set your meter to 20VDC. Connect black lead to ground. Now probe with red lead to J207, all pins and J209, all pins. Are 207.5 and 209.8 different from the other pins on the same connector?

#3 1 year ago

All pins tested, all gives ~12v.

Additional tests we made:
    207-5 + ground without and also when the ball goes in the juggler, same 12v (maybe 0.1v variation)
    209-8 + ground without and also when the ball goes in the juggler, same 12v (maybe 0.1v variation)

We are not sure we are doing the tests properly or if we need the test U20-14 + U19-9) but also tested:
    U20-14 + ground without and also when the ball goes in the juggler, same 12v
    U19-9 + ground without and also when the ball goes in the juggler, same 12v.

Thank's in advance for all the "helpers"

#4 1 year ago

Also tested, on each side of the diode on the leaf switch, when the switch is not pressed together, no continuity, when the switch contacts, there's continuity.

#5 1 year ago

OK, since the switch pins in question appear the same as working lines, let's do a quick test.

Turn game on and start a game. Leave the ball in the shooter.
    Turn the game off.
    Pull the playfield glass. Put it somewhere safe.
    Close the coin door.
    Turn the game on. Do not start a game.
    With the game in Attract Mode, take the ball from the shooter and roll it into the left juggler. It should get fed over and ejected.
    Repeat that 10 times or so.
    Results?

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from CoOlSlY:

When I throw a ball in the juggler, it doesn't register anything in the switch test.

Sounds like a switch problem to me.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

OK, since the switch pins in question appear the same as working lines, let's do a quick test.
    Turn game on and start a game. Leave the ball in the shooter.
    Turn the game off.
    Pull the playfield glass. Put it somewhere safe.
    Close the coin door.
    Turn the game on. Do not start a game.
    With the game in Attract Mode, take the ball from the shooter and roll it into the left juggler. It should get fed over and ejected.
    Repeat that 10 times or so.
    Results?

When turning it on, it does the eject like when a ball is stuck somewhere (the clang clang clang) and says pinball missing.

As said, in test mode, if I throw the ball in the left juggler, it doesn't register anything, if I then go in the solenoid test, and run the left juggler, it ejects the ball from the left juggler and the ball is sent to the right juggler, if I go back in switches test, the right juggler registers properly (closed).

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from CoOlSlY:

As said, in test mode, if I throw the ball in the left juggler, it doesn't register anything, if I then go in the solenoid test, and run the left juggler, it ejects the ball from the left juggler and the ball is sent to the right juggler, if I go back in switches test, the right juggler registers properly (closed)

So sounds like the left juggler switch.
    Can you trip it by hand from under the playfield?
    It's at the very back, on the VUK.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Sounds like a switch problem to me.

At the leaf switch itself, Ive put the dmm in continuity mode and put one lead on each side of the diode and when putting the leaf switch metal together, I get continuity so I was under the impression that the switch is ok.

#10 1 year ago

Yes, but in test you should see the switch.
    Basically testing the wiring, also look for broken diode, etc.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from DNO:

So sounds like the left juggler switch.
    Can you trip it by hand from under the playfield?
    It's at the very back, on the VUK.

Just saw this 2nd message. Yes I can reach it no problem but when i put the metal together, I doesn't register (I've tested with a ball first in test mode and then at the switch itself and both don't register). It does indicate continuity though but in test mode it's like if I don't touch anything. 207-5 and 209-9, I don't see any current drop when touching the metal together so it's like if somewhere the "message" is not sent that the metal were put together. I test all the way up to the chip itself and always have approx 12v

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Yes, but in test you should see the switch.
    Basically testing the wiring, also look for broken diode, etc.

Would I have a way to short two wires to have the switch register in test mode? (like override everything just to see if it could be board related)?

Thank's

#13 1 year ago

In switch test you can short the row/column to eliminate a board issue, but I would recommend looking for a broken wire on the row/column wires under the PF first.
    Check every switch that the two wires share, they like to break off at stand up switched a lot, leaving the standup working, but the switches "downstream" not working.
    Since that switch is at the back of the PF, it's probably the last in line.

#14 1 year ago

Open the Coin door and press Enter. What does it say?

#15 1 year ago

You guys are amazing... NOT that the problem is solved but found out this with your guidance:

Testing directly at the board/connector J209/J207 level by shorting pins: all the row6 (J209-7) are dead i.e. Shorted the left juggler (J209-7+J207-5) in switch test mode and nothing happened. Then, tested the Through 1 (ball 1) (J209-7+J207-1), didn't worked... Tested the left slingshot (J209-7+J207-3), also didn't worked, tested the right return, didn't work. To confirm, I tested Through 2 (ball 2) (J209-8+J207-1), it worked, and finally, tested the Left Return (J209-8+J207-3), it worked too.

So now I don't know how to properly troubleshoot the row6 (J209-7) and what could be the problem. I have a schematic which shows 209-7 -> D8 -> D8-C8 -> R62-R61 -> R61 -> chip pin 9. I also have the electric schematic.

WPC-089MPULayout (resized).jpg

#16 1 year ago

After reading that some people had a similar problem and it was one of the lm339 chip, we went ahead and changed the u19 lm339 with no success. We'll try to chane uln2803 but the chip was not in stock at the shop. Any other ideas for a whole row not working?

Happy new year

#17 1 year ago

Uln2803 could def. be it.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Uln2803 could def. be it.

By any chance you know how I could test a whole row as per my message with all the tests I've made?

#19 1 year ago

Uln2803a changed, Lm339 changed.

Tested j209-7-d8 for continuity than upper d8 and c8, lower r61 and r62band than u19-9. Everything has continuity (one was bad we have put a wire between and now it's all good). Still, all row for 209-7 still doesn't work . Any advice/suggestions?

#20 1 year ago

Found the problem, will update later though

#21 1 year ago

After changing LM339's, ULN2803A, finally, the problem was between U19-14 and U13-4 ... Made a jumper wire from U19-14 and U13-4, problem solved.

Thank's to those who helped me

10 months later
    #22 3 months ago

Anybody know where to find the little bowl that goes on top of the vertical up kicker of the juggler? Mine was missing and not really sure which one to buy. Seems every williams game has a different size, and i dont have the original to compare.

#23 3 months ago

Anybody have a pic of the little bowl on the vertical upkicker?

#24 3 months ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Anybody know where to find the little bowl that goes on top of the vertical up kicker of the juggler? Mine was missing and not really sure which one to buy. Seems every williams game has a different size, and i dont have the original to compare.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8053

That'll do it.

You might need the whole assembly, kinda depends. My armature assembly broke once, so I had to get that as well as the cup.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 45.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 26.50
    $ 7.00
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.95
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 12,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Professor Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinfarmer Mods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside